Routemaster Buses in London

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 10:45 AM
Muriel

Routemaster Buses in London

I would dearly love to travel on one of the double-decker London buses which has a conductor on board. I understand Routemaster has these. Has anyone any information re routes etc.
Thanks
Muriel

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 02:09 PM
neville

'Routemaster'is the name of a type of bus, the original double-decker designed by London Transport specifically as a city bus, and never excelled.... see http://www.emrichdesign.com/pages/routemaster.html , there are many sites on the Routemaster, search on www.google.com

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 11:15 PM
Nigel Doran

Take a Number 12 from Westminster, along Whitehall and to Oxford Circus on Notting Hill (look at the front or ask the conductor.)
It will cost 1 and you can hop on or off at your peril! (Most do without falling off, but it is not encouraged, just tolerated.)

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 12:37 PM
muriel

Nigel and Neville.

Thanks so much for the information. Much appreciated.
[email protected]

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 09:20 AM
kate

For info on routes etc, check out http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk/buses/index.shtml

This won't tell you which buses are Routemaster (as neville said, they are just a make of bus - like Volvo etc), but in the centre of town, most buses are Routemaster. You will recognise them by the fact that they don't have a door at the back, so you just hop on and off, and that they're all really old. New double decker buses have doors at the front and you pay the driver directly.

Routemasters are being restored and put back into use because in the busy London streets they can navigate the traffic quicker (because of the quick load/unlaoding of being able to hop on and off).

Just be careful when descending the stairs that a sharp corner doesn't send you flying out the back door. I'm in daily peril!