Route/Transport from Isle of Skye to Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking train from Glasgow to Isle of Skye. Will rent a car for our 2 nights on Skye. We have 2 nights to get from Skye to Edinburgh, where we will spend another 2 nights and then fly home. Recommended routes for scenery/towns/castles/sights not to miss?

I'm thinking train to Inverness, pick up a car and try this route from an earlier post I read while researching: "I'd go from Nairn > Tomintoul > Ballater > Stonehaven and stay the night in that area. Magnificent scenery, Balmoral, Crathes (AMAZING gardens and lovely house). Visit Dunnottar the next morning then Glamis in the early afternoon and on to Crail." Will it work to stay the night in Crail, visit St. Andrews and the fishing villages on the way to Edinburgh?

If this sounds like a good plan, where to stay in Stonehaven area and then in/near Crail?

Any thoughts or help appreciated! Putting this together in a hurry as we have a rare window to travel.
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 11:59 AM

You can't take a train to or from Skye, at some point you will have to use a ferry at Mallaig or bus at Kyle of Lochalsh to get onto and off the island.

I'd be tempted just to hire a car for the whole period, it'll probably work out cheaper and less hassle
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 12:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't take the train, and I wouldn't rent a car locally on Skye. I would pick up a car at Glasgow and keep it until Edinburgh.

And >>I'd go from Nairn > Tomintoul > Ballater > Stonehaven and stay the night in that area. Magnificent scenery, Balmoral, Crathes (AMAZING gardens and lovely house). Visit Dunnottar the next morning then Glamis in the early afternoon and on to Crail.<< and on to Edinburgh is not a two-day trip. Stonehaven to Crail including Dunnottar and Glamis s a very full day. Dunnottar requires at least 2 hours and Glamis about three. The drive is about three hours.

And I'ness to Stonehaven is about a 4 hour drive plus stops -- so that is an 8+ hour day.

All in all you are trying to squeeze a 2 week trip into 6 nights.
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 01:28 PM

Several years ago (at least 10 or more, I think), I took a train from Edinburgh to Inverness (where I met up with my husband) and after spending a night, took the train to the Kyle of Localsh, where a car rental agent met us with the car we rented. I am not sure this is the same company (so this isn't a personal recommendation for this company) but that kind of service is still available.

At the end of our week's stay on the Isle of Skye, we returned the car to the rental offices in Broadford, and the agent drove us to the Armadale docks, where we took the ferry to Mallaig and then a train onwards to other cities in Scotland we wanted to visit.
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 01:37 PM

>>Taking train from Glasgow to Isle of Skye.<<

If you are going via Kyle -- that is a 7 hour train trip.

If via Mallaig -- about 6 hours including the Ferry and doesn't arrive until after 2PM. By the time you work out the car and drive to say Portree it will be nearly 5PM.

So in either case you would only have one free day on Skye.
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

janisj I hear such great things about the train ride from Glasgow to Mallaig, and where possible am trying for spouse getting to enjoy scenery instead of doing all the driving.

Is it more reasonable to drive from Skye to Ballater, stay near there after Balmoral, and then go to St. Andrews/Crail via Crathes the next day, and then on to Edinburgh?
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 02:05 PM

The West Highlands line is really scenic to Mallaig but you can see similar scenery by driving along the coastal route.

Either do all car or all train to Inverness perhaps - Skye has good buses and in one day what can you do but go to one city and head out.

The train Kyle of Lochlash to Inverness is also very scenic - I've taken both of those trains a few times and they are tops in British trains IMB - but again cars can go pretty much the same route.

For info on trains check www.scotrail.co..uk for info on those trains - IME no need to book early unless you can get a discounted fare - and check www.seat61.com, the British rail guru site, for lots of good info on those lines. For general info on UK trains check also www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - but again I'd probably either drive the whole way to Inverness and on - will let you get off the blocks quicker in Skye from the ferry and to get where you are going.
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ, thanks so much for info. Is the drive from Skye to Ballater and on to St. Andrews/Crathes a fairly easy drive? DH drove 3 weeks in Italy, but is wary of the other side of the road and one lane roads...
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 05:06 PM

>>Is the drive from Skye to Ballater and on to St. Andrews/Crathes a fairly easy drive?<

Not hard -- but loooooong and w/ a LOT to see along the way. From Portree to Edinburgh via Ballater/Balmoral, Crathes, Dunnottar, Glamis, St Andrews and Crail could eat up a full week and even that is pretty rushed.

It is <i>only</i> about 400 miles. But that 400 miles could easily take 10 to 12 hours without a single stop. Some stops would include maybe 1 hour at Balmoral, an hour in Ballater, 2 hours at Crathes, 2 to 3 hours at Dunnottar, 3 hours at Glamis, 3 hours in St Andrews, and 2 or 3 hours in Crail . . . 10 hours car time and 15 or 16 hours of sites (and would miss a lot) hours. An because sites are only open between say 10AM and 5 PM -- there simply aren't enough hours. This is NOT a two day excursion

If you want to have pity on your husband -- this ain't the way to do it.

In your very short time do EITHER Skye and the west <B>OR </B> Deeside/Dunnottar/Glamis/Fife . . . You just don't have time to cover half of Scotland.

Yes that train ride is terrific . . . but so is just about everything else.
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 05:40 PM

Just to throw another option in the mix, I usually take the train from Edinburgh to Mallaig often with a stop along the way. The train leaves from Glasgow about 11:30 and gets to Mallaig about 5:00 as janisj said. I take the ferry across to Armadale where I have a rental car waiting for me. Depending on where you stay, it'll be another 45 minute to 90 minute drive. Trust me, one needs a car on Skye.

Usually drop car at Kyle of Lochalsh ( where I rent it from ) close to the train station and take the train to Inverness/ Edinburgh. I've done this a few times with Mr. History as once he discovered he didn't have to drive, he was a convert. Not sure how long it takes to get from Kyle to Inverness via train, guessing about 3 hours.

Still have to agree with janisj in that your best option may be to reconsider your itinerary.
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 05:51 PM

To follow on historytraveler's post -- IF you decide on <i>just</i> Skye and the west coast/western Highlands -- you definitely could manage w/ trains and just the local rental car on Skye. But that is your full 4 days right there. Two nights on Skye after all the travel really only nets you one day so you'd want 3 nights on Skye, which leave you one night in maybe Inverness and then train down to Edinburgh.
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

I love you guys, and so appreciate this input, as I don't have the time I usually have to investigate/research myself. Always half the fun. I realize an extra day on Skye would be ideal and that this itinerary is a push. But we are hamstrung with needing to be back home and at the same time wanting to see some highlights, feeling with life being what it is we may not get back. What about this: Beautiful train from Skye to Inverness, dinner and sleep in Inverness. Wake up early, rent car, drive to Balmoral, then drive to St. Andrews/Crail, stay there. Then on to Edinburgh.

I did consider 3 nights on Skye and then just training right to Edinburgh, but thought I'd want to get to St. Andrews from Edinburgh anyway, taking a day away from that city, so why not do the above ...
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

OR, should we skip Isle of Skye? Must do Glasgow, as my grandparents and relatives are from Port Glasgow, Greenoch. Definitely want to do Edinburgh and St. Andrews. Have 7 nights. What would you do?
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 09:03 PM

Unfortunately as it is you will drive through a LOT of places but not have time to enjoy any of them much.

But 7 days is almost perfect for Glasgow, Fife and Edinburgh. Are you mostly interested in St Andrews because of the Old Course or something else. I ask because if you do want to see the Old Course -- it would be best to be there on a Sunday. There is no play on Sundays and the whole course becomes a vast public park. You can walk the whole thing - across the swilcan bridge, everything.

One option - stay in Glasgow 2 nights / the best part of 2 days - take the train to Edinburgh and spend the rest of your time there. One day early in the AM head out to EDI and pick up a rental car (If this is a Sunday great but any day will do) and drive out to St Andrews. It is about a 90 minute drive. So if you can get on the road by 8 or 9 AM you can be in St Andrews by mid-morning. Spend as long as you want -- then drove back to EDI along the coast via Crail and Anstruther. That will be about a 2 hour drive plus stops. So you can have lunch in St Andrews - start back in the mid-late afternoon, maybe have dinner in Anstruther -- great fish & chips- back to EDI, drop car and take the trolley back into the city.

OR if you want to stay a night in St Andrews - collect a car when leaving Glasgow and drive all the way to St Andrews - about 2.5 hours. spend all day there/sleep, spend the next day exploring the fishing villages and driving to EDI, drop the car and into Edinburgh.
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

St Andrews: Don't care about the golf, but the town and villages intrigue. Would be fun to walk course if we can manage a Sunday. Delved further into Port Glasgow and now off itinerary. No cars available on Skye. Really hearing everyone on on the aggressiveness of the earlier schedule. Hard to be there without seeing beyond the 2 cities, but realize that might be the best experience. 2 options below. Option 1 does not let go of scenery. If we do option 2, will we feel we've experienced enough of Scotland?

OPTION 1
Day 1 Glasgow
Day 2 Train to Skye (main interest is seeing scenery on the way and on Skye)
Day 3 Pick up day tour to interesting place on Skye
Day 4 Train to St. Andrews (whole day but relaxing and beautiful or just crazy?)
Day 5 (Sunday) Walk course, town Fishing Villages, Fish and Chips, train to Edinburgh
Day 6 Edinburgh
Day 7 Edinburgh
Day 8 Depart

OPTION 2
Day 1 and 2 Glasgow (can we get "out" a bit from here?)
Day 3 St. Andrews
Days 4, 5, 6, 7 Edinburgh
Day 8 Depart

Thoughts?
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 08:46 AM

The West Highland Railway from Glasgow to Mallaig is one of the greatest railway journeys in the world. You cannot drive and see this scenery.

The train from Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness and then on to Aberdeen is both very scenic along the Lochs and replaces a lot of really miserable driving on narrow roads. The time it takes to change trains is all the time you need in Inverness.

Rent the car in Aberdeen. Explore as far as Balmoral. Return the car at Edinburgh airport.

It is easy to get to Edinburgh and visit Fife and St Andrews. This trip is hard. You will never forget it.
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 09:00 AM

Ackislander: All that you post is true - but they only have 6 days. The two rail journeys Glasgow to Mallaig and from Kyle to Aberdeen alone are between 5 and 6 hours each. I really (REALLY) think trying to squeeze in Glasgow, two very long train trips, Skye, Deeside, Edinburgh and Fife into such a short trip is just madness.

And while the West Highland line is wonderful, other than across Rannoch Moor, all the same scenery is viewable by road. (but they really don't have time for either . . .
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 09:06 AM

oops - meant 6 days after Glasgow -- but now looking at it they only have 5 days because the depart on the 6th/8th day.

It now appears they have about of 6.5 days free (from arrival at Glasgow to their departure day)

W/ just 2 days in Edinburgh and 1.5 in Glasgow -- that leaves a grand total of 3 days for everything else. Just about ALL of that time would be eaten up in transport.
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Ackislander, can you expand on "this trip is hard" please?
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 01:12 PM

Sorry to hear you are giving up on your own ancestral Scotland. It is really quite beautiful there, and you might have a dazzling time on Argyll & Bute (even Greenock has lovely vistas, sunsets, architecture and important history). And it is much easier to reach if Glasgow/Edinburgh is in the mix.

http://www.essentialtravelguide.com/...-travel-guide/

https://www.visitscotland.com/info/t...eenock-p237421

https://www.visitscotland.com/destin.../argyll-isles/

http://www.aboutbritain.com/counties...l-and-bute.asp

http://www.aboutbritain.com/towns/greenock.asp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -