Route from Stockholm to Lillehammer

Mar 30th, 2002, 07:05 PM
kte

Route from Stockholm to Lillehammer

After few days of siteseeing in and around Stockholm, we pick up a car to drive to Lillehammer. Thinking of one day drive Gripsholm, Orebro, Karlstad to Lillehammer. Too much? Should we add a day down to Kalmar or anywhere else? Thanks in advance.

Apr 1st, 2002, 08:44 AM
Joe

kte: That is a very long haul. We did it last year to get to Oslo. Went through Lillehammer on the way to Roisham (Lom). The drive is, for the most part, pretty. Lots of farm land. If Lillehammer is your destination, I am not sure it is worth it. The outdoor museum and the Olympics site are about all there is of significance. We enjoyed the museum, one of the largest of its kind in Scandinavia, very much. The Olympic site is, now, so-so. But, Oslo, there is a worthwhile destination. The city is delightful; the harbor scene, the Citidal, the Resistence Museum, The Viking Museum, the outdoor museum, an Archipalago boat tour. There is a lot more. Great city.
Kalmar is another long haul from Stockholm (not as long as Lillehammer). Scenic enough, but not special. Kalmar Slott, however, is one of the prettiest castles in Europe. The town is, OK.
You don't say how much time you have. But, if it were me, I would either run up to Upsalla to see the glorius Cathedral and then head for Oslo. Or, take the fast ferry to Gotland and the medieval, walled village of Visby which is an absolutely delightful place, and then ferry to Kalmar to see the Castle. Don't think Lillehammer is worth the trip unless you are going that way anyway.

Apr 1st, 2002, 07:03 PM
kte

Thanks Joe. Guess I was pretty vague. We have about 8 1/2 days to drive through Sweden & Norway. This includes 2 full days (3 nights) in Oslo at the end. We were going to Lillehammer as a path from Stockholm to Sognefjord and Bergen areas. I do prefer castles & glass factories over scenic farmland, but how do we to get to the fjords from there??? How many days from Gotland to Flam? Thanks for you input.