Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Route and lunch from Freiburg, Germany to Arles, France.

Mar 7th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Finalizing trip details for July and have gotten so many neat route & lunch tips previously. Wondering if a we could stop in or around Lyon as I have heard it is the gastonomic capital of France. We will be driving and just plan to take one day with a lunch break any suggestions?
Mar 7th, 2004, 03:41 PM

How about stopping at the famous food market in Lyon and picking up yummy things for a picnic below Lyon? There are stops along the autoroute with tables, and you will see families enjoying themselves in the open air. Most of the stops are nicely shaded, and some have good views.
Mar 7th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Not to sound naive (but I am), what famous food market in Lyon?
Mar 7th, 2004, 04:09 PM

Lyon has a huge, old "les halles" near the Part-Dieu train station. I've not been there but it's supposed to be reminiscent of the old Les Halles in Paris. It was torn down to make way for the shopping mall that sits there now.

Underhill's suggestion sounds delicious, but for practical reasons I wouldn't do it. Lyon is one of France's largest metro areas. I wouldn't drive into a huge city, try to find parking and drive back out just to go to a market.
Mar 7th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

I tend to agree with you, but was hoping someone could suggest a restaurant in the area (outskirts, & not out of the way too much) that would be a memorable dining experience.
Mar 7th, 2004, 05:33 PM

Well, how about the 3* Paul Bocuse restaurant? It's above the city in Collonges-au-Month-d'Or. It doesn't get much better than this. Or you could go through Lyon (phew!) and stop in Vienne at the 2* Pyramide, whose original chef was one of the finest in all France. Also above Lyon, in Chasselay, is the 1* Guy Lassausaie.
Mar 7th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Make that MonT d'Or.
Mar 7th, 2004, 07:50 PM

You said you were planning the trip in July. I hope you aren't driving south through Lyon near Bastille Day weekend. If you are, I'd stick with Underhill's suggestion of a picnic. The traffic on the Autoroutes on Bastille Day weekend moves about 5 miles per hour and when it's time to eat, they all stop and picnic . . . often in the center divider of the highway. You might want to purchase the picnic supplies before you reach Lyon because that's where the traffic comes to a standstill.

Hopefully, you are going at another time. Good luck.