Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Round the world ticket? (I know this is the Europe Board but it is the best place to start)

Round the world ticket? (I know this is the Europe Board but it is the best place to start)

Mar 27th, 2002, 05:12 PM
janis

Sometime in the next 18 months (probably in the Spring of 2003) I plan to take a Round-the-World trip. I want to hit Europe, Egypt, the Indian Sub-continent, a few places in Asia and Australia.

What would be the best allaince to book with - Star, One World, or another?

Mar 27th, 2002, 09:06 PM
Rex

There ARE quite a few threads here on this:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgTopics.jsp?fid=2&searchText=round-the-world&start=0

Mar 27th, 2002, 09:17 PM
janis

Thanks Rex - but when I pulled up that link I got three pages of threads but none about round the world tickets. Lots about cheap fares to Europe and some about fares within Europe. Could the URL be different than the one you posted???

Mar 28th, 2002, 03:01 AM
Rex

Oh my goodness. Do I feel stupid! I didn't look carefully at the rsults - - just that they were there. I guess that hyphenating (or even using spaces) - - is basically just finding you every use of the word "round"!!

Damn.

Well, I know that the threads ARE here. Just don't know how to find them.

Sorry.

It's not my idea of a search engine.

Write to Fodors about this?

Mar 28th, 2002, 04:53 AM
ttt

to the top

Mar 28th, 2002, 04:56 AM
fran

There are different types of RTW fares. Some are routing based, some are mileage based. NOrmally, I would suggest contacting a travel agent since RTW fares can be complicated but to do so on this forum is just an invitation for insults. So why don't you call up an airline for information. Their rate desk can figure out what would be the best fare based on your itinerary.

Mar 28th, 2002, 06:29 AM
John

If you know where you want to stop, I'd imagine it would boil down to price, using either of the alliances or doing point-to-point calcs yourself. Airtreks.com - http://www.airtreks.com/ - has a cool "fare builder" system for RTW routings that you might check out, too.

You probably know by now that RTW fares are generally based on total mileage, so including Africa and/or Australia or South America in your itinerary jacks up the mileage, hence the cost. They're still usually much cheaper than point-to-point fares, though. One consideration is that business class RTW fares can be amazingly cheap compared with non-RTW ticket plans.

Mar 28th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Patrick

Call American Airlines. They will send you a full folder about their One World pass plan for around the world. Their plan is based on number of continents and has lots of various flexible plans. I pull that folder out from time to time and dream over it. Well maybe one of these days. . .
I would imagine other airlines will also send you similar information with their partner plans.