Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rotterdam or Bust (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rotterdam-or-bust-473215/)

vedder Sep 9th, 2004 12:59 PM

Rotterdam or Bust

Hello! We are traveling to Rotterdam on business and plan on extending our stay in Rotterdam in order to tour local sights. We need help figuring out the best places to tour and/or take day trips. So far we have thought of Antwerp, Amsterdam, the Hague, Brugge, and perhaps Paris. What are your thoughts? Would you recommend a city in Germany close to the Netherlands border? Also, we are very confused about the train, bus, metro, and tram system--what's the best way to get around in the city of Rotterdam, to other Netherland cities, and to other countries. Where do you recommend we exchange money--I'm guessing into the Euro dollar? How safe is it for a young female to travel around Rotterdam alone? We appreciate any information you may have to offer.

ira Sep 9th, 2004 01:14 PM

Hi vedder,

First, I suggest that you leave Rotterdam as soon as you can.

Second, how long will you have for your vacation?

Third, the currency is the Euro not the Euro dollar. You get the best exchange rates at ATMs for which you will need an ATM card and a checking account.

Rotterdam is no more dangerous than any other large city.

vedder Sep 9th, 2004 02:50 PM

Thanks! We are planning an 8-10 day trip, with 3 of those for work.

Eloise Sep 9th, 2004 03:55 PM

You can easily spend 5 to 7 days in the Netherlands and Belgium. In the Netherlands: Amsterdam, The Hague, Otterlo (not very well known but with one of the best collections of works by Van Gogh in the Kroller-Mueller Museum). In Belgium: Brussels and Brugge.

And since the distances are so short, you don't have to change hotels. You can go anywhere in the Netherlands from Amsterdam; to anywhere in Belgium from Brussels.

The closest German city is Cologne, and except for the Cathedral (which most people do not realize was only completed in the 19th century and hardly qualifies as Gothic at all), it has not a great deal to offer.

If you want a real change, Paris is, of course, a possibility. I'm not sure, however, how much time it would take you to get there by train...

hopscotch Sep 10th, 2004 02:50 AM

Rotterdam is a seaport, one of the largest in the world. It is near the bottom of any list of travel destinations.

I recommend that you stay in Delft during your business in Rotterdam. It is only 13 minutes by train to Rotterdam.

When your business is finished stay in Delft for a few more days to facilitate seeing The Hague. Then move up to Haarlem as a base for exploring Amsterdam.

In Holland buy a 15 strip <i>Nationale Strippenkaart</i> for the Amsterdam metro and trams and buses throughout the country. Ask how to use it and ask for a system map in whatever city you are in. It's very convenient and simple. The Dutch have a great public transportation system.

The trains are a separate operation, also very efficient and easy to use. Every station has backlighted yellow maps and schedules. You can use the ticket machines or stand in line at a ticket window.

Use the ATMs for your cash needs.

Rotterdam is one of those rare places in Europe that a young woman would not want to walk around alone. There is a large north African immigrant population which has some rough youngsters.

The Amsterdam train station and areas around the Dam are prime picking grounds for pickpockets and baggage thieves. Be on guard at all times.

ira Sep 10th, 2004 04:28 AM

Very good advice from Hopscotch.
Haarlem also has the Frans Hals museum.

It is a 3hr ride on the TGV from Rotterdam to Paris.

LIBRYS fare is 79E. You might be able to get a lower PREM fare.

See http://www.voyages-sncf.com

menachem Sep 10th, 2004 10:05 PM

Slagging Rotterdam: we Rotterdammers don't like that one bit!

Good places to stay are Hotel New York, Bazar and the Maritime Hotel. HNY is boutiquish and upmarket, Bazar is hip an exotic and the Maritime Hotel (right on the northbank of the Maas) is the old seaman's mission (still in use) but now also offers rooms to the general public.

Amsterdam is 1 hour away by train, Delft 10 minutes, the Hague 20, Antwerp 1 hour and Brussels 2. It's even possible to take the Talys from Rotterdam and do a day trip to Paris!.

As for sights inside Rotterdam:

Westelijk Handels terrein is a collection of warehouses (depots) in the Scheepvaartkwartier. Lots of interesting restaurants, places that offer tapas like clubfood etc.

Witte de Withstraat is good, with Bazar, a good number of galleries (Dutch Design).

The area around Botersloot/Pannekoekstraat is now starting to be interesting enough for design mags to notice.

Lots of Rem Koolhaas architecture around: also check out NAI (Dutch Institute for Architecture), the recently renovated Museum Boymans and the Kunsthal (Koolhaas designed this)

Euromast now has a loungy type restaurant (on a good day you can see Antwerp from there and even Amsterdam if the sight is good)

And don't forget to take a watertaxi from Veerhaven to Hotel New York to either have high tea there or sample their fruits de mer.

Rotterdam is pretty compact, so a strippenkaart should see you through: also the (small) metro system is pretty good and fast.

more than happy to get you started once you get there: just drop me a line.

ira Sep 11th, 2004 03:56 AM

Hi menachem,

Well, you have certainly opened my eyes to the value of Rotterdam.

hopscotch Sep 11th, 2004 08:40 AM

Nice write up menachem, but I've been to Rotterdam and it is near the bottom of the list in touristic value, especially since there are so many other great cities to visit in Holland.

It's a pity that Rotterdam was bombed out in WWII. The new construction turns me off. It could be worse than Frankfurt.

How about the OP's concern about a single woman roaming around alone?

menachem Oct 2nd, 2004 12:44 AM

We live in the center of town and my wife works late in The Doelen, next to the West Kruiskade (apparently a no go area). She walks home every night after eleven. We've been living here for 5 years now and whereas I was mugged in Amsterdam twice, nothing ever happened to me in Rotterdam, and we live so centrally located that we walk everywhere at every hour of the day and night.

Other than that: the great thing about Rotterdam is that there are very few tourists. Unlike Amsterdam (I lived in the Jordaan area) where the streets are full of 'em (no offence, but it gets on one's nerves sometimes) Cool thing happens in Rotterdam and there is an exciting arts scene, but you need to know where to look....or have a local guide ;)