Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rotterdam - Amsterdam Parking (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rotterdam-amsterdam-parking-1021652/)

Annett123 Jul 31st, 2014 09:10 AM

Rotterdam - Amsterdam Parking

Hi guys,

I have a new job and now I have to commute between Rotterdam and Amsterdam every day, as the company offers me a free car I dont want to take the train but use the car. Do you know where you can find an affordable permanent parking in Amsterdam close to Amsterdam Lelylaan?

Michael Jul 31st, 2014 09:38 AM

You may discover very quickly that public transportation is preferable to commuting by car, especially if you travel during rush hour and do not need your car during working hours.

PalenQ Jul 31st, 2014 09:43 AM

Parking can cost about $30-35 a day plus gas you are losing money and time driving that route where everyone else would take the train.

Where do you work in Amsterdam - outer areas can have IME free on-street parking like in the Olympic Stadium area - park there and take the tram to your office or walk - right near an exit on the auto route from Rotterdam.

PalenQ Jul 31st, 2014 11:44 AM

It's also only 42 minutes by ICD - InterCityDirect trains between Rotterdam Centraal and Amsterdam Centraal - much faster than driving, getting into congested Amsterdam and to a parking and then commuting to your work place.

Amsterdam has several secondary train stations that may be closer to your work place, like those near the WTC or World Trade Center. You'd have to change trains at Schiphol airport I think to get to them off the ICD however. but it's actually two minutes quicker to the Zuid-WTC station than to Amsterdam Centraal, even with the change of trains.

greg Jul 31st, 2014 12:22 PM

Is the car vs. train a personal taste issue or economics? Unless your company is offering you gas allowance also, the cost of gas+parking would exceed the train cost when you buy them as monthly or longer basis. That is, it is actually cheaper to just leave your free car in Rotterdam and pay for the train on your own. Not to mention you gain productivity as you can read/text, etc., while commuting on train.

menachem Aug 1st, 2014 01:55 AM

PalenQ said it: IC direct will get you from Rotterdam to Schiphol in about 20 minutes, from there, change to Lelylaan.

Doesn't your company reimburse a parking fees?

There's a P&R location at Lelylaan. Kind of defeats the purpose I think. And you have to pay fees in Rotterdam as well, I suppose.

Annett123 Aug 4th, 2014 06:51 AM

okay thanks for the feedback guys, probably you are right; part of my motivation to go by car was also to take my car and not pay for parking during the day in rotterdam, by the time i come back in the evening and on the weekend its for free. I know from an environmental perspective its not the best thing to do :/ My company reimbourses part of the parking fees yes, but I have to find one. I checked now on marktplaats and i ve found parkeerplekken (unfortunatley in Dutch only) and then also mobypark where i might have found a parking option close by to my office for 125€/month. So i might try this and if i get stressed by traffic too many times i will switch to the train and use the time to read a book instead.

menachem Aug 5th, 2014 07:22 AM

In that case, use the P+R at Lelylaan. But it's 6 euro/day, so with 20 work days a month you'd be at 120 euros/month

But if you have a house in rotterdam you can apply for a permit there, can't you? that will give you a good rate in a "stallingsgarage".

PalenQ Aug 5th, 2014 01:35 PM

another risk of driving - I have driven endlessly on the autobahns or whatever they call their freeways and in rush hour in the Amsterdam area you can get back-ups - the train will get you there dependably on time.

menachem Aug 6th, 2014 08:16 AM

that is especially true for the A10 near Lelylaan.

by the way, the term is "snelweg".

autobahn is a german thing.

PalenQ Aug 6th, 2014 11:12 AM

snelwegs IME can be become snail ways - especially at rush hours. I'd rather be relaxing, working, etc on a train than stuck in traffic any day.