Rothenburg versus Cresky Kromulov ?

Old Apr 12th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rothenburg versus Cresky Kromulov ?

I have only alotted time, traveling from Munich to Salzburg to Prague then to a meeting my daughter has in Budapest. Will do a car service from Salzburg to Prague, thinking of stopping by briefly for 2-3 hours in Cresky Krumolov. Do feel that Rotheniburg is very different and apart from Dachua, Rothenburg would be a real opportunity. Do want to see the Sound of Music Tour in Salzburg for my daughter and wife, but really wish to see more mountain vistas without overlapp. Any suggestions without repeating things? Thank you, Jack Glasser, [email protected]
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 02:11 PM

Sounds like you just need more time. I would skip Dachau but not Cesky Krumlov.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

I have never seen a concentration camp, could see terezin near prague. Any trip with cost an afternoon.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 02:15 PM

I've not visited Dachau but have visited Rothenburg and Cesky Krumlov. Forced to choose, I wouldn't give up a visit to Rothenburg or Cesky Krumlov. Although they are both fairly small towns/villages, they each have a completely different feel. Cesky Krumlov's setting is magnificent, nearly encircled by the Vltava and overlooked by the wonderful castle on its rocky hill. Rothenburg has a nice setting too, but not as dramatic; there the views are from the town to the valley below. There are more shops and sites to visit in Rothenburg -- e.g. churches, towers, town walls. But, in my opinion, there is just something at Cesky Krumlov that tugs at the heart.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Just to be contradictory, I have to say that I found Cesky Krumlov rather disappointing. I'm glad I went but compared to Rothenberg it seemed much less interesting - much smaller place, fewer sites, fewer shops, less friendly and helpful locals, over-priced and much less tasty food and very little of interest that I wanted to buy and bring home. I have no burning desire to return to CK, but I can't wait to spend more time in Rothenberg. Maybe it's a matter of personal taste and experience. I know and understand the history and significance of Rothenberg in Germany's history while Cesky Krumlov simply seemed to be an isolated island tucked away in a moribund corner of Central Europe. The guidebooks I picked-up in CK failed to stir my interest in learning more about the place. I actually found some of the smaller villages nearby much more interesting and historically significant.

We stayed in Kaplice a few miles down the road. This area had been populated with ethnic Germans prior to the outbreak of World War II. Hitler accused the Czechoslovakian government of oppressing them and used this as an excuse to invade. When the Nazis moved-in much of the non-German residents were expelled or sent to concentration camps. When the War ended and the Communists took over, Czechs from other parts of the country were encouraged to resettle here when the ex-Nazis were dealt with. Homes in the area are drab Communist era dwellings and one is shocked by the almost total lack of advertising on any buildings. Finding a shop or restaurant can be tough due to the lack of signage. It still feels lkie you're driving through a Commie country, especially near the Czech-Austrian border.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 03:57 PM

Otzi, please do leave history lessons to the historians or inform yourself. You are highly offensive.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

I am fascinated by these responses. Would love to have more input and more views. Thank you.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 07:11 AM

I believe that I mentioned that there are more "things" to see and do in Rothenburg, and I did like it very much. However, for me, it is possible to have more feeling about a place even though it may be smaller. Plus, I was more interested in seeing the quaint, meandering streets and the impressive castle rather than finding things to buy to take home. I must say that no one was unfriendly to me in Cesky Krumlov (although maybe because I did attempt a little Czech), and that I didn't find things to be any higher priced than in Prague or other towns I visited. As for the surrounding area, one reason I travel is to visit different areas and appreciate them for what they are--not little replicas of the United States.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. If I drive advise re parking. Jack
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 05:35 PM

Jack, if you drive, make sure you make a quick stop in the town of Hluboka to see the stunning castle and beautiful grounds. This is actually a neat town to stay in overnight when visiting CK. You can also get off the exit for Ceske Budejovice not only to visit the brewery where the original Budweiser (Budvar) is made but also to see its town square which is one of the largest in Europe. Cesky Krumlov has parking lots below the castle and the biggest challenge is remembering how to get back to the damn car without getting lost as walking around the River and through the town can get confusing!
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

thank you Sibelius.