Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rothenburg ob der Tauber Tourists (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rothenburg-ob-der-tauber-tourists-1021980/)

bdj Aug 4th, 2014 03:01 AM

Rothenburg ob der Tauber Tourists

There is much chatter on the deluge of tourists from tour busses during the day in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Is this a year-round, everyday occurance? We will be making our first trip to Rothenburg on a Sunday in late October. Can anyone speak to what can be expected in that timeframe?

Thanks...bdj

Dukey1 Aug 4th, 2014 03:51 AM

The town at one time was said top be the Number One tourist destination for the Germans themselves. I have never visited in non-summer months so cannot give you "the" answer but if you are going I would go as early as possible.

Mainhattengirl Aug 4th, 2014 05:08 AM

It owes much of its' popularity to Rick Steves stating that is the ultimate medieval town in Germany. It isn't, but people believe it and throng the streets. Not to say that it isn't a lovely town, and may be worth visiting, but it isn't unique. There are many towns like it and they don't have the tourist buses and streets lined with souvenir stores. So, if you want a unique experience all day long, not just in the evening or early morning, try and visit another town.

The Fachwerk Route lists many of them and there is probably a town near some of the large cities you are visiting.
http://www.deutsche-fachwerkstrasse.de/uk/index.php

My favorite is Büdingen, as it only takes an hour to get there from Frankfurt, but there are many more.
http://www.buedingen.info/en/

Russ Aug 4th, 2014 05:39 AM

M'girl says it well. I'd only add this: the trinkets and souvenir shops are there 24/7 no matter the time of year or time of day, and everyone seems to speak English - and nearly all the time - because of the international tourists that are always there. You might not even think you're in Germany at times.

Büdingen is refreshingly different and very cool. Nearby Gelnhausen is nice as well. Depending on WHERE ELSE you'll be in Germany, there is likely to be a nice old-world village within a stown's throw, one that offers what Rothenburg intended to offer before it became too Rothenburgy. More places not far from Rothenburg to explore instead (or on top of R'burg) follow:

Photos of Iphofen, SE of Würzburg: http://www.stadtbild-deutschland.org...&threadID=2985

Photos of Ochsenfurt and Marktbreit, between Rothenburg and Würzburg:

http://www.stadtbild-deutschland.org...&threadID=3624

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...breit_BW_6.JPG

Weissenburg, SE of Rothenburg: http://waldgasthof.s702.sureserver.c...ger_Tor002.jpg

flpab Aug 4th, 2014 05:45 AM

We stayed two nights there in Oct and loved it. The tour buses leave and it is very nice. We loved doing the night watchmen's tour and sitting on the square at night. We were not overwhelmed with tourist at all. Lots of nice places to enjoy the wine and great food in that region. Walking the wall was nice and the views were beautiful. I enjoyed taking pictures of all the doors and fountains. We stayed in a guest house and it was inside the wall.

PalenQ Aug 4th, 2014 06:52 AM

It owes much of its' popularity to Rick Steves stating that is the ultimate medieval town in Germany.>

this is an urban myth 0- I visited Rothenburg long before anyone ever heard of Rick Steves and it was as mobbed as it is these days - the problem is not individual travelers who may be enticed by Rick Steves books but the hoards of tour buses - guided tour designers can hype this 'perfectly medieval town' = Rick Steves may have added a tad to the torrent but the torrent was there long before Rick Steves.

Ditto to the Cinque Terre being inundated becaause of Rick Steves - it was in fct a mobbed tourist site as far back as ancient Rome.

I echo the feeling of Manhattangal and Russ in what they post - Rothenburg is not unique - well it is unique kind of because it is the number one destination for tour buses in Germany I would think - Rudesheim on the Rhine being a close 2nd perhaps.

bdj Aug 4th, 2014 08:52 AM

Thus, based upon the replies there is no difference in the frequency of tour buses and tourists during the day on a Sunday late in October than other times of the year...?

PalenQ Aug 4th, 2014 10:38 AM

Sundays are said to be especially crowded as Germans may come here too - I think in October the tour bus crowd will be somewhat diminished - if you want to really see Rothenburg do it - the town can be wonderful at any time of year - best to stay the night and enjoy the town when the tour bus masses have departed - take the famous Night Watchman's Tour and have the town nearly to yourself.

Pegontheroad Aug 4th, 2014 10:38 AM

I visited Rothenburg long before Rick Steves was out of high school--come to think of it, before he was out of grade school. It's always been busy during the day, but if you stay overnight, it's a different story. After 5:00 p.m. and in the morning before 10:00, it's really delightful.

The part that's most mobbed is the main square, especially at noon when the clock in the town hall puts on a show.

However, the town invites strolling about down uncrowded back streets to see interesting architecture.

I can't give any specific information about crowds in late October, but my guess would be that there are fewer than in the summer. I suspect that the weather will also affect how many tour buses arrive.

Dukey1 Aug 4th, 2014 10:57 AM

LOL! You want crowds? In a "main square in Germany? Try going to the Marianplatz in Munich and watching <B>that</B> "clock show."

sumrcr Aug 4th, 2014 01:06 PM

Lots of medieval altstadts are "magical" at night, and not just in Germany. Wandering about the old town at night is one of the things I like most about visiting historic old towns. What makes Rothenburg unique in that regard? Night Watchman tours may be fun, but, to me, they would take away from the appeal. As for Marianplatz, downtown Munich is large enough that the Glockenspiel crowds don't crowd out everything else.

Gary_Mc Aug 4th, 2014 01:15 PM

We have visited Rothenburg in April and December a few times in recent years. It was not very crowded, especially in the evening. Its crowds tend to focus on a few sights: the main square, the night watchman tour, etc.

If it is a little crowded during the day consider a walk down to Detwang to see the Riemenschneider altar in the Peter Paul church or visit the city museum. There are decent cafes and restaurants away from the main drag that will offer refreshment any time of day.

We have lived in Germany for 6 years and visited many quieter places but Rothenburg still has appeal for us. Hope that you enjoy it as well. Gary

lavandula Aug 4th, 2014 01:51 PM

I 've visited Rothenburg in January. No, there weren't thousands of crowds. There were a few residual tourists, but what irked me were the prices in the shops and restaurants, which compared even with expensive cities in Germany were on the high side. Nearby Dinkelsbühl has a similar feel but is not quite as touristy.

Lavandula

PalenQ Aug 4th, 2014 02:05 PM

Nordlingen is another gem on the so-called Romantic Road - not far from Rothenburg and even in summer not totally mobbed - I liked Dinkelsbuhl a tad better but either one is perhaps in touristed times more enjoyable than Rothenburg though lackingRrothenburg's iconic status by not being a perfectly walled town.

Andrew Aug 4th, 2014 04:19 PM

I visited Rothenburg ob der Tauber in April. I had considered avoiding it because of its reputation for being touristy, but in early April it was not very busy. (and it is a really nice town - I was not disappointed at all.) There were a few tour groups during the day but not many of them, certainly not enough to be obnoxious, and at night the town was quiet. I suspect it would be similar in October especially as you get later in the month.

Percy Aug 4th, 2014 04:19 PM

Visits to Rothenburg also has much to do with the Romantic Road.

So the Travel agents did a good job in the middle 50's.

People like to travel from Wurzsburg to as far a Fussen...but mainly as far as Rothenburg.

Of course everyone wants to see Rothenburg once , Gee if you see aerial pictures of it, surrounded by its medieval wall and towers, it looks dreamy and quaint....

until you get there and fight traffic, but that is okay, what and where in Germany can you visit a main Markt Square and not have traffic.

Yep, I agree Dukey1, I went a half hour early to see the Clock show from the square in Munich and barely got a decent spot.!!

bdj, You want to see Rothenburg , then go ,no matter what anyone says here, including me.

It's your first visit there, you will not be disappointed !

I have been there twice and saw all I wanted to see.

nytraveler Aug 4th, 2014 04:47 PM

Sorry - Rothenburg was not made by Steeeeves. We visited their - and also several other towns on the romantic road - long before he started polluting the airwaves.

We were there in May and there were quite a few tourists - but there were still a lot of locals still speaking German.

I think it's a great place to visit - but would do it at off hours.

flpab Aug 4th, 2014 04:50 PM

They have a clock show in the square at dark. There was a great car/bike show on a Sunday in the square. We walked around and enjoyed it. I found a shop with great old prints, have yet to frame it. We had a room with breakfast and dinner included and it was great. Edith's guesthouse. Nothing fancy but so good. She even moved her car for us to park.

rheims2017 Aug 4th, 2014 05:04 PM

We were there in 1989 and it was enchanting and romantic. Imagine it is more crowded with tourists these days, but many places are. If we ever get back to Germany it is high on the list of must re-visits!

Travelforbeer Aug 4th, 2014 10:04 PM

Hi BDJ- the first time we visited Rothenburg we were driving the "Romantic Road" in July without AC in the car. We parked just outside of one of the gates and walked to the town center about 12 noon. And boy was it crowded- we could barely get a quick sandwich at a bakeri as I remember. We were out of there and on our way to Dinkelsbuhl by 2 PM. We eventually spent the night in Nordlingen where we were subjected to many motorcycle fumes while sitting outside trying to sip a beverage. Ah, the good old days when Marks were king...

Since then we have stayed in Rothenburg 5-6 times, always spending at least one night there. The difference in crowds between the early afternoon and evening is astonishing. And it seems like the mid-day bus crowds have decreased in the last 10 years or so. The only negative is that we had trouble finding a reasonably priced restaurant in the evening the last 2 times we were there. Maybe we are getting too picky as we get older- and be sure to follow everyone's advice about the nightwatchman's tour. Be sure you are getting the original as several knockoffs were peddling a similar tour about 7 PM in the main square when we were there in 2012.

Have a good trip!!!

((B))