I will be spending a few days in Frankfurt before visiting Rothenburg and then Fussen. I want to see some nice towns along the way but I am not driving, so I would like to use Rothenburg as a base and then take day trips to Bamburg, Wurzburg, Nuremberg etc. by train.
(Therefore, I would like to stay in Rothenburg for 4 nights (and 4 full days). 1st day: explore Rothenburg. Other 3 days: day trips to nearby towns.) Is this a good strategy? My goal is to minimize the hassle of dragging luggage back and forth from train stations to hotels etc.
Is there another Romantic Road town that would serve as a better 'base' than Rothenburg? (or are there any other day trips you would recommend from Rothenburg?)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to stay for Mont Saint-Michel
- 2 beware of robbed in Milan
- 3 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 4 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 5 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 6 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 7 GTG Paris December 2017
- 8 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 9 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 10 Barcelona to Malaga
- 11 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 12 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 13 Wedding In Cambridge England
- 14 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann 2017
- 15 Which Area in London?
- 16 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 17 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 18 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 19 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 20 Copying a post on Swiss gondolas.
- 21 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 22 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 23 Paris November 2017
- 24 Ravenna and Mexico City...who knew?
- 25 Christmas day lunch in prague
Rothenburg ob der Tauber as a base for exploring other towns?