Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rothenburg o.d.T (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rothenburg-o-d-t-260972/)

MMN Sep 25th, 2002 11:25 AM

Rothenburg o.d.T

I've searched past messages for hotel info but have not been able to determine what hotel might be best for me - please help.<BR>My husband & I will be in Germany for our 1-year anniversary. Spending 1 night in R.o.d.t.<BR>We're looking for a romantic inn/hotel. Simple room & furnishings okay. But we would really like something well-kept, charming, maybe with views of the countryside. Friendly innkeepers would be a BIG plus. We can spend somewhere around 100 per night. And we definitely want to stay within the walls of the city.<BR>What would you recommend?

Liz Sep 25th, 2002 11:35 AM

No view of the country-side, but we loved the Hotel Gerberhaus. It meets your other needs:<BR><BR>http://www.romanticroad.com/gerberhaus/default.htm

trying Sep 25th, 2002 11:40 AM

Ditto on the Gerberhaus, though I don't remember meeting/seeing the innkeepers. Simple, fresh furnishings (in 99). Overlooking a small courtyard. Decent location. No view otherwise (that I recall). Breakfast was hearty, if memory serves.

Jerry Sep 25th, 2002 11:56 AM

I do not think there are any country views. We stayed at the Cafe Ohl. It has a bakery in the downstairs. Some rooms were redone in 1996. You should be able to find something for quite a bit less than $100. There is a lodging board on the highway going south out of Rothenburg on the east side of the road. It lists a lot of places and you can call from there to check availability. It is similiar to the facilities you see in American airports.<BR><BR>While you are there be sure to take the night watchman tour. The english tour is at 8pm. It is the best thing in Rothenburg.

Rex Sep 25th, 2002 12:52 PM

I agree that there are no cuntry views. It's a WALLED "city" (town).<BR><BR>I can recommend the hotel Glocke - - part of the Ringhotels affiliation without any hesitattion.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

steve Sep 25th, 2002 12:53 PM

We have stayed in the Hotel Meistertrunk a couple of nights each of the last 3 years. Great Hotel. Not sure about the view as their is a room we choose each time we are there. Look at their website. <BR><BR>http://www.meistertrunkhotel.rothenburg.de/index_e.html<BR>

CoachBoy Sep 25th, 2002 01:08 PM

Whatever you do, don't forget to visit the Criminal Museum - twisted, but extraordinary.<BR><BR>Check out the Michelin website - they have a good list of hotels in Rotenberg.

up Sep 25th, 2002 03:03 PM

topping<BR>

mercedes Sep 25th, 2002 03:14 PM

Begging to differ, but there IS a view over the city walls, it is in the Burg Hotel. You will pay more than your $100 per night. BUT, for us, a suite, a bathtub, a relaxing view, quiet, ahhhhhhhhh after all the zimmers before this, it was a real treat. Gabrielle Berger is a great hostess. Check Karen Brown's book.

Michelle Sep 25th, 2002 03:49 PM

Yes!!! Check the Karen Brown site:www.karenbrown.com. We were in Rothenburg 3 years ago and decided to go the Rick Steves route and be cheapskates!. We checked out the Burg Hotel - absolutely charming. A few other Karen Brown hotels also were so cute: Klostersuble and Marksturm(?). These will probably all be more than $100/night, but I look back now and wished we had gone for the more romantic place. I wouldn't have missed the $$ difference that much.<BR><BR>Michelle

Bob Sep 25th, 2002 04:19 PM

We have been going to Rothenburg since my time living in Germany in the Army in 1970. Just returned from a trip in December 2001.<BR><BR>This trip we stayed at the MARKUSTURM HOTEL. Great place, great location and scenic. I think it is still pictured on the cover of Karen Brown's Germany book. Room 120 or 121 will get you one of the two rooms on the front pictured on the cover. We had 120 and it was updated and very nice. Plus, many etchings of Rothenburg picture this hotel because of its location and looks.<BR><BR>We decided to stay one additional unplanned night and had to change hotels on this last trip. The MARKUSTURM owners moved us to the BURG HOTEL. This does have rooms that overlook the valley and also very nice. Of the two, I would to the MARKUSTURM.<BR><BR>Another favorite of ours is the REICHS KUCHENMEISTER. One of the oldest buildings in town and great location near the town square and next to St Jacobs church...largest in town. Will probably be less than the other two. We have stayed here more than 5 times. Ask for a room in the old building. It also has a very nice restaurant for dinner even if you do not stay there as well as a separate wine stube. The first seat as you enter the wine stube from the hotel has seen many hours with us and various friends enjoying the wine and hotel.<BR><BR>Get to Rothenburg in time for the nightwatchman's tour in English at 8pm starting at the Town Square center. Great experience for first timers.<BR><BR>Enjoy!

Ben Sep 26th, 2002 09:16 AM

Several other options listed on the following page with comments from some folks who have tried them - http://www.bavariaben.com/fzfrothenburg.html

Sue Sep 26th, 2002 09:48 AM

Stayed at the Hotel Klosterstuble last year while visiting Rothenberg and it was a charming B&B which serves a wonderful breakfast. We were on the second floor and had a fabulous view of the valley beyond the wall. I don't recall exactly how much we paid, but it wasn't expensive. Have fun - Rothenberg is a great town.

MMN Sep 26th, 2002 11:42 AM

Thanks so much for all the help!

Jag Oct 11th, 2002 08:35 AM

We stayed at the MARKUSTURM HOTEL two weeks ago and just loved it. Quiet,charming, clean, modern bathroom, good price. I believe it ay cost more than $100 though and unfortunately it doesn't have any views either, but it's very central and there is free parking and it is located within the walls. <BR>You should definitely try to get there after all the tourist buses have gone so that you have the city all to yourselves in the evening, just before the sun goes down. Take in the views of the valley- breath taking and spectacular! <BR>Happy anniversary! You'll love Rothenburg!

curt Oct 11th, 2002 10:31 AM

Since you are celebrating, why not treat yourselves and stay at the most wonderful hotel Eisenhut, right in the heart of Rothenburg. It is a lovely 4 star with immense rooms and so much character. Not cheap but worth every cent you spend. For a real treat have Irish Coffee in the bar, served by a tuxedoed waiter on silver service, and made at your table side. A wonderful hotel.