Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rothenburg hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rothenburg-hotels-224257/)

goosegirl May 23rd, 2002 09:05 AM

Rothenburg hotels

Is the Hotel Reichskuechenmeister inside the walled area? Can't get this info from their website. Also, I'm thinking of staying at one of these other hotels; Meistertrunk, Gerberhaus and the Markustrum. Which one of these four is better and why? Thanks <BR><BR>

will May 23rd, 2002 11:13 AM

Goosegirl, for a real treat stay at the Hotel Eisenhut right in the center of the city. This is one of the finest hotels we have ever stayed in. Wonderful rooms and great service. Not cheap but worth every cent.

topper May 23rd, 2002 01:17 PM

topping

Nancy May 23rd, 2002 01:48 PM

I can recommend the Hotel Altfrankische Weinstube am Klosterhof. It is found within the walls of the city & is near St. Jakobs Church. It has wonderful rooms & is over a terrific pub that has great food. Everything is an easy walk from the Klosterhof. Rick Steves also recommends this hotel.<BR><BR>The best part comes on Wednesday evenings. That is when the English Conversation Club has its weekly meetings. The local Germans meet in the pub & practice their english. They are very friendly with the tourists & have wonderful stories. They only have 2 rules, they don't talk about politics or religion. Anneliese is one of the locals, she runs the Friese shop in the Market Square. Tell her "Hi" from Nancy in Florida if you see her. BTW, you can go to the pub & join in the fun even if you don't stay at the Klosterhof. I've been twice & it was one of the highlights of my trip.<BR><BR>The only drawback to the Klosterhof is they don't have a website. Their phone number is 09861/6404 & their fax is 09861/6410. The price for a double room was 89 dm before Germany went euro, that includes a full bath. Wonderful rooms!

Nancy May 23rd, 2002 01:49 PM

I can't recommend any of the hotels that you ask about but I can recommend the Hotel Altfrankische Weinstube am Klosterhof. It is found within the walls of the city & is near St. Jakobs Church. It has wonderful rooms & is over a terrific pub that has great food. Everything is an easy walk from the Klosterhof. Rick Steves also recommends this hotel.<BR><BR>The best part comes on Wednesday evenings. That is when the English Conversation Club has its weekly meetings. The local Germans meet in the pub & practice their english. They are very friendly with the tourists & have wonderful stories. They only have 2 rules, they don't talk about politics or religion. Anneliese is one of the locals, she runs the Friese shop in the Market Square. Tell her "Hi" from Nancy in Florida if you see her. BTW, you can go to the pub & join in the fun even if you don't stay at the Klosterhof. I've been twice & it was one of the highlights of my trip.<BR><BR>The only drawback to the Klosterhof is they don't have a website. Their phone number is 09861/6404 & their fax is 09861/6410. The price for a double room was 89 dm before Germany went euro, that includes a full bath. Wonderful rooms!

Nancy May 23rd, 2002 01:49 PM

I don't have any experience with any of the hotels that you ask about but I can recommend the Hotel Altfrankische Weinstube am Klosterhof. It is found within the walls of the city & is near St. Jakobs Church. It has wonderful rooms & is over a terrific pub that has great food. Everything is an easy walk from the Klosterhof. Rick Steves also recommends this hotel.<BR><BR>The best part comes on Wednesday evenings. That is when the English Conversation Club has its weekly meetings. The local Germans meet in the pub & practice their english. They are very friendly with the tourists & have wonderful stories. They only have 2 rules, they don't talk about politics or religion. Anneliese is one of the locals, she runs the Friese shop in the Market Square. Tell her "Hi" from Nancy in Florida if you see her. BTW, you can go to the pub & join in the fun even if you don't stay at the Klosterhof. I've been twice & it was one of the highlights of my trip.<BR><BR>The only drawback to the Klosterhof is they don't have a website. Their phone number is 09861/6404 & their fax is 09861/6410. The price for a double room was 89 dm before Germany went euro, that includes a full bath. Wonderful rooms!

Bob May 23rd, 2002 04:24 PM

To answer your question: The Reichs Kutchenmeister is within the walls of the city. In fact, it is right next to the St Jackobs church and an easy 3 minute walk to the Rathaus and town square. We have stayed there numerous times and enjoy the hotel. Request to be in the old section as that is in the main building and in the older, quainter rooms. Restaurant is good and they also have a wein stube.<BR><BR>We were in Rothenburg in December for the Christmas market and the Reichs was full so we stayed in the Markusturm Hotel. This place is fantastic! It is built into one of the historic walls of the city with the tower next to it and featured on many of the etchings sold in Rothenburg. We had the two rooms on the front and they were both updated and very nice. The owners are great people and very helpful. I would recommend either one of these hotels.<BR><BR>The Eisenhut is expensive and somewhat stuffy in my opinion. You feel as if you have to whisper, walk softy, not laugh and then pay the bill. If you are into that, go for it as it is a very nice hotel and worth a visit for a drink in the bar.<BR><BR>Hope this helps some. You will not be disappointed with either of the two I mentioned above.

Sue May 23rd, 2002 06:53 PM

I was in Rothenberg last year and stayed at the Hotel Kloster Stuble, which is inside the wall. (They do have a website, but I can't recall what it is.) We had a room with a window overlooking the wall and the valley below it. Our room was not huge, but it was beautifully-appointed and immaculate. There was a big breakfast served in the morning. We made our reservation via e-mail and didn't have a problem. I hope you enjoy Rothenberg as much as we did!

Jinx Hoover May 24th, 2002 12:54 PM

I recommend the Gasthof Greifen (if you can get in!). Located right on the Markplatz, a double costs around $100. Rooms are nice, and the dining room serves tasty meals. Jinx Hoover