Rothenburg /Festival

Nov 8th, 2001, 03:26 PM
Kendra

Rothenburg /Festival

Hello,
I will be visiting Rothenburg ob der Tauber next May and just found out it is during a festival (weekend of May 18-19). Has anyone been in Rothenburg during this festival in the past? It sounds like a lot of fun, but I'm worried it may be too crowded or that the traffic getting into town may be really bad (we'll be driving into town that Sunday). Thanks.

Nov 27th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Bob

We have been to Rothenburg many times but never for that festival.

My recommendation is that you book a hotel inside the wall and stay at least one night. The town is much better seen in evening after all the day trippers have departed. It is sort of like Venice in that regard.

Look up info on the Night watchman tour and do that. Do not just drive in, fight the crowds for a few hours and leave. If that is your plan I would not recommend a stop here. Just my personal opinion after many trips to Rothenburg in crowded and non-crowded times.

Our favorite hotel is the Reichs Kutchenmeister..reason and well located for walking the city.

Nov 27th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Doug

I envy you. I've been to Rothenburg numerous times, but not for the Shepherd's Dance. It should make a fascinating city even more exciting. For a glimpse of what you're in store for, see the third picture in the top row at:

http://www.rotabene.de/webcam/archiv.html

Nov 27th, 2001, 11:52 AM
cova

Hi Kendra,
I was there during the September Festival, and it is really a big thing. I´d recommend you, as you already know when will you be staying, to book a hotel in town, if possible with parking facilities. They usually allow the hotel residents to get into the walls and reach their hotel.
I agree with Bob about the Reichskuechenmeister. Well located and nice people

Nov 28th, 2001, 09:58 AM
Reg Wilson

When you leave Rothenberg, head south to Schwabisch Gmund. A beautiful little city, several wonderful churches, a University of Maryland campus on an old Kaserne, a wonderful hotel called the Pelikan (http://www.hotel-pelikan.de/)
Drop me an e-mail if you would like more info.
Reg

Dec 27th, 2001, 08:03 PM
Bob

This is Bob again from the 1st post above on 11/27. Just returned from Rothenburg and had to stay at the Markusturm Hotel as the Kutchenmeister was booked. We will stay at the Markusturm again! Great location and very helpful owners. Try this out for your trip. Room 120 or 121 is primo and is in all the famous etchings of this hotel.

Another tip on Sunday driving in the city: They close all the entrances into the wall except one on Sunday. It is hard to figure this out if you do not know in advance. Check it out before you get frustrated driving around the old city looking for a place to enter.

The Nightwatchman is still on duty and still interesting. Definitely do that at the 8pm English tour in front of the Rathaus. Also try to get dinner reservations at HELL....quaint and small restaurnant near the Criminal Museum. Get the table in the bottom area set for 6. Fun night, not too expensive and good food.

Dec 28th, 2001, 04:36 AM
jjw

Bob, thanks for the summary of your visit. You make me want to return to Rothenburg. I remember feeling so fortunate to be staying there so I could walk around the outside of the wall at dawn. So beautiful. J.

Search this Thread