Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rothenburg - Burg hotel worth it? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rothenburg-burg-hotel-worth-it-627862/)

wizzy Jul 1st, 2006 07:22 PM

Rothenburg - Burg hotel worth it?

I've read several raving reviews of the Burg hotel in Rothenburg, but I'm wondering how much better it is than other, cheaper options in town. The cost isn't as much of a concern as it is unnecessary cost; is the hotel that much better than other places in town?

We do want to soak up as much of "historic" Germany as we can, and the Burg seems like the place to do that.

It will be our first night in Germany, having flown into Frankfort earlier that day and driving down.

Thoughts?

mamaj Jul 2nd, 2006 06:10 AM

If you are driving I would highly suggest ditching Rothenburg and staying in nearby Colmberg. We stayed at Burg Colmburg- about 15 minutes away. It's an actual castle, the food is fantastic, and the views are unbeatable. We visited Rothenburg in the evening- when all the vistors had left.
www. burg-colmberg.de

Budman Jul 2nd, 2006 06:17 AM

The link wouldn't work because of the extra space before "burg." Looks like a nice place to stay.

www.burg-colmberg.de ((b))

wizzy Jul 2nd, 2006 07:54 AM

We are driving, and I do have the Burg Colmburg in my bookmarks for consideration.

We definitely want to do the Night Watchman's tour, and also want to wander around town while the shops are open.

How much of pain is it driving back and forth? When do the tourists clear out?

wrenwood Jul 2nd, 2006 08:20 AM

We stayed at Burg Hotel 2 years ago for one night and loved it. Had a wonderful room with views out the bedroom and bathroom, I felt like I lived there.

We were there in late September so the crowds weren't huge to begin with.

We haven't stayed anywhere else in town, so I don't know how much better it is than any other place. We thought it charming, would stay there again.

Breakfast was nothing I remember, good or bad. We had lunch nearby which was good, and dinner at Hotel Eisenhut where we had eaten a few years before. Not cheap but worth it, Chantrelle dishes were wonderful and their Pumpkin Soup with Lobster was so good I emailed them when I got home for the recipe which they graciously shared.

The first time we were there we stopped on the way back to Frankfurt, and walked through the town and explored the wall but didn't stay there. Second trip we said we were staying overnight.

Burg Colmburg looks pretty awesome, might have to note that for next year when we go back. The only thought I had was that on your first day you might prefer to semi-collapse if you're going to have jet lag rather than drive back and forth to Rothenburg.

ira Jul 2nd, 2006 08:31 AM

Hi mama,

Do the rates at Burg Colmberg include breakfast?

If not, how much for bkfst?

Thanks,

((I))

Budman Jul 2nd, 2006 09:36 AM

Yes.

http://www.burg-colmberg.de/englisch/preise.html ((b))

traveldawg Jul 2nd, 2006 11:20 AM

My thoughts would be to stay within the walls of Rothenburg. That way you can stroll the town, shop and take anything you need back to your hotel. If you stay away, this is not possible and your car may be parked outside the gates.

A few other suggestions:

REICHS KUCHENMEISTER: Location is great. Next to St Jacobs church and around the corner from town square. Ask for room in the old original building. Good restaurant if you do not stay there and a nice wine bar.

HOTEL MARKUSTURM: Another favorite and on many photos of Rothenburg. Room 120 or 121 will put you right on the front and they are very nice rooms. Another great location down the street from main town square and Rathaus.

GRIEFFEN: Less expensive, but clean and nice.

We have also stayed at the BURG and enjoyed it. Again, stay inside the walls. Park your car and forget it until you need to leave. This way you can wander at night, have a few beers and not have to worry about the drive to Colmburg.

wizzy Jul 2nd, 2006 02:38 PM

Thanks for all the responses. While the Burg Colmberg definitely looks like something we'd like, I think the suggestions to stay local (eg walkable) make sense. I'll do some research into the non-Burg options mentioned above.