Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rosslare Port Ferry to France.Is visa required for american?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an american arriving in Dublin this summer after i clear immigration and all that nonsense i plan to travel Europe for a few week but rather be adventurous and take the Rosslare Port ferry south of Dublin straight to France and take a train from there , Question is .. is my Visa from Ireland Valid in the EU including France and the EU countries i plan to visit or is there another immigration / border patrol i have to go through or do i just take my stuff and move on id prefer to stay legally but i rather not fly pain in my butt im not sure how this works i dont want to be deported over a simple stamp please help thanks everyone
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 03:12 PM

You are allowed 90-in-180 days in Schengen (of which France is a part but not Ireland) by just showing your US passport. You will get 3-month visit leave for Ireland at Dublin Airport. So on arrival in Dublin, show your passport at passport control and you will be stamped in for 3 months, and you again show your passport when travelling to France from Rosslare and you get Schengen entry stamp for 90 days.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

OH so they do have immigration check point at the ship port before boarding to france from Ireland?
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Alec are you saying i get my stamp in Ireland before i get on the ship to france or when the ship docks in france ? why would i go back to the airport i dont want to fly to france id rather take a boat even if its longer i have plenty of time
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 04:12 PM

There are check-in formalities before boarding the ferry at Rosslare, including showing your passport to ferry terminal staff. Then on arrival in France you show your passport to French gendarme and get your Schengen entry stamp.

What I meant was when you fly into Ireland, you get Irish immigration stamp at the airport. Irish entry stamp isn't valid for France so you get a Schengen stamp when you arrive in France.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 04:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I am confused w/ your questions in general. If you are American (US Passport) why do you have a visa? Are you a student traveling there for a year?

But in any case you need a passport to arrive in Ireland, you need a passport to get on the ferry, and you need a passport to land in France.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 04:58 PM

Americans do not need visas for Ireland or the Schengen countries as long as they stay for less than 90 days. Presenting a valid passport is enough to get the 90 day visa stamp in the passport.

So - one passport check at the airport in Ireland and another when you enter France (a Schengen country).

Once you are within Schengen there are usually no border formalities, although recent terrorist activities may cause some to be reinstated, but you still don;t need any visas.
Old Apr 18th, 2016, 11:38 PM

Assuming that your journey starts in or near Dublin. the total time for your journey would be close enough to 24 hours. I make the crossing every year, and I quite like the journey: it's like having some enforced down-time. But adventurous? No, not really. Cheap as a foot passenger? No, not really. An interesting alternative? Possibly yes, if you actually like boat travel.

All you need is your passport.
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 12:12 AM

No idea why you wouldn't just land Dublin and Fly to Paris/France flights leave practically every couple of hours with different operators.

Trust me that Rosslare crossing can be a rough one
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 12:51 AM

Alec´s description of the process is accurate. Those from the USA get a 90 day visitors visa upon arrival at any Schengen country, such as France. The fact that one automatically receives a visa is effectively invisible to the visitor, but the entry stamp itself is considered a visitors visa and starts the 90 day clock.

To stay beyond 90 days (in a 180 day period), a US citizen must apply for a long stay visa which is a separate process, the formalities for which much be completed before he arrives at a Schengen border.