Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rooms in Cinque Terre? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rooms-in-cinque-terre-345010/)

dtyler Aug 5th, 2003 02:41 PM

Rooms in Cinque Terre?

I am arriving in Vernazza on Thursday Sept 11. Am I foolish to think that I will be able to find an apartment to stay in for the week without reserving ahead of time? Any suggestions for which town to stay in? Any restaurant recommendations?

dtyler Aug 5th, 2003 02:44 PM

I made a mistake and posted this in Europe first --I have re-posted it in Italy.

Eccomi Aug 8th, 2003 04:10 AM

There is a restaurant in Vernazza called Trattoria Gianni. They are also a rental agent for their own hotel rooms as well as for apts owned in the town. We reserved ahead and I think that would be advisable. The Cinque Terre are quite popular and moreso in September.

e_roz Aug 8th, 2003 10:54 AM

I'd reserve. YOu know the dates, why would you not?

gb Aug 8th, 2003 02:14 PM

We stayed in one ( Antonio Basso's). It was small, but very clean with internet in the room.

capo Aug 8th, 2003 02:59 PM

Unless that's a holiday weekend, my guess is that your odds of finding a place would be pretty good. (We arrived in Vernazza on a holiday weekend -- Liberation Day, in late April -- with reservations and ran into some people who had no reservations who could not find a room in ANY of the five CT towns; they had to go to La Spezia.)

Just ask around, and I bet someone will refer you to someone else who has a room available.

I find Vernazza to be the most picturesque of the five towns and it is the only one with a harborside piazza. A lot of people seem to like Trattoria Gianni, on the south side of the piazza; we sure did. In Ristorante Belforte, above the jetty, you can dine inside an atmospheric stone fort.

italyclimber Aug 13th, 2003 10:25 AM

Hello Dtyler,

We are also looking for a place to stay in Vernazza at the very end of Septebmer. I have heard that Vernazza is a great town from friends that have been there. They preferred it to all the towns in the Cinque Terre. They are fairly laid back folks.

Please post anything you find on apts. We are planning to hike and climb and are looking for a good homebase.

Good luck!

expatmommy Aug 13th, 2003 03:16 PM

I just posted this in another thread, we stayed at La Torretta B&B in Manarola and enjoyed it. It is easy to get to the other towns from Manarola and the view from our balcony was outstanding! I can't remember the website, but the email is [email protected].

alan64 Aug 13th, 2003 03:53 PM

I was very happy with my room through the Trattoria Gianni (view to die for at $30 a night), but booked ahead and would advise you to do so for that time of year. The Gambero Rosso restaurant just next door in Vernazza was excellent. BTW, my room was up a hill and up tight stairs so it could be trouble if you've got lots of bags or have trouble climbing.

kismetchimera Aug 13th, 2003 05:58 PM

This past June, I spent a week in Manarola wit my daughter and grandson..We had a very nice and large apartment...Manarola is smaller than the other villages, but is very pretty , a small fairy tale type village..also is much quieter than Vernazza..
dtyler, you really should make a reservation.. Cinque Terre is very popular in Sept.....
Ciao,
kismet