Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Room with a view in Venice: 100-175 Euros (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/room-with-a-view-in-venice-100-175-euros-602260/)

ceb1222 Mar 25th, 2006 11:03 AM

Room with a view in Venice: 100-175 Euros

Looking for a cute, quaint B&B/inn place in Venice with a view on a canal, preferably a balcony. This will be in June, so I realize it's high season and hard to find anything in the 100-175 price range. I have found some places on venere.com, but it's hard to know for sure sometimes if the location/view is good. I'm looking for a "hidden gem"-type place. Any suggestion?

youngandrestless Mar 25th, 2006 11:11 AM

I booked Locanda Barbarigo based on recommendations from this site. It is 135 euro/night for a double and has a view etc. I haven't stayed there yet, so you'll have to rely on others' reports.

julia_t Mar 25th, 2006 11:27 AM

Have a look at

www.palazzoduodo.com

I've mentioned it here before and if you enter Palazzo Duodo in the search box here you will get some more info on this B&B.

franco Mar 26th, 2006 09:43 AM

Seems like it's time to tell once more about my fav Venice accomodation: www.rosadivenezia.com
It's a self-catering apartment, so you won't get breakfast there, but after all, it is highly unreasonable in Italy to book any accomodation serving breakfast - breakfast in Italy means going to the bar around the next corner, where you'll always get a much, much better breakfast, and where you'll have much fun, and begin your day soaking up the authentic atmosphere of the place where you are. I never take breakfast at my hotel when traveling in Italy, not even if it's included in the price - I go to the bar nevertheless.
Back to your question: the Rosa di Venezia apartment has a balcony with a stunning view on a small canal, it's in a great location very near to St Mark's, but nevertheless in a quiet lane, and the price seems still to be 160 Euros per night, like 2005, when I visited last time.

franco Mar 26th, 2006 10:18 AM

But if you do prefer a hotel, I think I remember to have read on Fodor's that the Hotel Riva has rooms with a great view. You might recheck using the search function. I know that hotel from outside only, but it certainly looks cheap.

ceb1222 Mar 27th, 2006 12:37 PM

Thanks for all suggestions... I am checking into all four currently. :)

zootsi Mar 27th, 2006 12:58 PM

We stayed at the Galleria a few years ago. It is a tiny hotel/b&b directly on the Grand Canal near the Academia. Back then it was about 90 Euros a night.

hazel1 Mar 27th, 2006 01:03 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Galleria last September, had a really huge room (#10) directly overlooking the Grand Canal, breakfast served to your room every morning, very nice proprietors, and paid 155 euros per night. We loved the place, and the location is fantastic.

zooey91 Mar 27th, 2006 02:31 PM

We enjoyed the poorly named "Hotel American" when we stayed there about 8 years ago. (Not like an American Hotel, despite the name.)

It's on a small, quiet canal on the other side of the Grand Canal from all the hubub (near the Academia). We loved walking around that part of Venice; fewer tourists, more locals, etc. But it's just across the Grand Canal from St. Marks, so it's far from remote.

Jim

CindyW Mar 27th, 2006 03:17 PM

Galleria. While I went to the Academia (two ms?) Museum next door one afternoon, my husband and kids, pooped out after a day of walking, sat on the window sill and watched the canal go by for two hours. Little flower boxes on the windows--divine!

sandi_travelnut Mar 27th, 2006 03:24 PM

Locanda Leon Bianco, but only if you can get a Grande Canal view. We stayed here on our first visit to Venice. Tiny hotel and you get breakfast served in your room on a silver tray since there's no breakfast room. Excellent price.

http://www.leonbianco.it/

Lesli Mar 27th, 2006 03:32 PM

I stayed at the Leon Bianco, with a view on the "small canal" and was quite happy with it.

Also at the Locanda Gaffaro (with views of rooftops instead of canals.) The garden for breakfast was a nice feature there. www.gaffaro.com

naturegirl Mar 27th, 2006 03:59 PM

As mentioned before, The Galleria Hotel was wonderful! Located very near the Accademia Bridge - room (#9) was small but opening up the green shutters/windows and looking onto the Grand Canal made up for size - no balcony. Excellent breakfast served in your room - do try their hot chocolate. We paid about 125 Euro in September, 2005. IMPORTANT to know that there is no A/C...only ceiling fan and breeze from open window. We left window open each night and went to sleep with the sound of water lapping the buildings/sidewalk. Will definitely reserve again. Enjoy your time in Magical Venice!