Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   room with a canal view in Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/room-with-a-canal-view-in-venice-261898/)

charlotte Sep 29th, 2002 01:55 PM

room with a canal view in Venice?

I WIll be flying to Venice for New year and have booked a room at the Londra hotel. Is it worth paying a litle extra and getting a canal view? If I do get the canal view will it be too foggy to see the canal in Dec/Jan?

Dona Sep 29th, 2002 02:26 PM

Charlotte,<BR><BR>I can only speak for myself, but if you're willing to spend the money for a vanal view, do it. I was in Venice at New Year's a few years ago and, yes, it was foggy, and misty, and it even snowed a little - but at sundown, the sky turned pink - and it was memorable! And we had our shares of sunny days also...<BR><BR>So enjoy your splurge a Venezia!<BR><BR>Dona

Singapore Sep 29th, 2002 04:07 PM

Charlotte, I too will be in Venice this winter. My wife and I decided for a canal view. We forgot about the fog and mist!*opps*

kelda Sep 30th, 2002 04:04 AM

to the top.

sandi Sep 30th, 2002 11:43 AM

we loved the early morning fog on the canal..it burned off by the time we were rready to start the day though..I thought it added another level of intrigued to the scene. Like you need anything more to get excited about!

sandi Sep 30th, 2002 11:44 AM

..by the way...the answer would be "yes" I'd pay a little more for a canal view.

dareen Sep 30th, 2002 03:43 PM

Would the canal view be noisy too?

wonderin Sep 30th, 2002 04:02 PM

Since it will be foggy why get a room with a canal view when all you might see is fog?

venicelover Oct 1st, 2002 07:38 AM

Since it might not be foggy, why not get a room with a canal view?

Lesli Oct 1st, 2002 11:03 AM

Dareen -<BR><BR>Yes, canal view rooms can be noisy, as the motorboats and garbage boats can be right outside your window. (Less so if there is not a dock nearby; they'll pass by rather than "parking" just outside.) Though all of Venice seems fairly noisy, since sound really carries across the water, and echoes through the cobbled streets. <BR><BR>I enjoyed it while walking around - one afternoon I followed the sound of jazz music in order to watch a band rehearsal across a small canal. But since I'm a light sleeper, I used earplugs at night.

John G Oct 1st, 2002 11:18 AM

If you book a room WITHOUT a view of the canals or lagoon, you will regret it for the rest of your life. I've had people tell me this many times.

Tom Oct 1st, 2002 11:48 AM

&lt;&lt;all of Venice seems fairly noisy, since sound really carries across the water, and echoes through the cobbled streets.&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>I couldn't disagree more. Thanks to the absence of any motorized (wheeled) vehicles, Venice is breathtakingly quiet, especially late at night and early in the morning.<BR><BR>That's why it's called La Serenissima.<BR>

Jenny Oct 1st, 2002 01:08 PM

In the summer of 1995 I got a canal view at the Londra Palace and I loved getting up every morning and watching the sky and the canal changes color. During this trip I will be going the last week of Jan. with my dear husband. Prices have escalated since 95 so is a canal view still worth it in the winter? Does venice have foggy days where the fog just stays the whole day?

charlie Oct 2nd, 2002 01:47 PM

topping

Martha Oct 2nd, 2002 03:30 PM

Charlotte: YES pay for the canal view. We saw neat albino crabs crawling around in the canals from our room. You can get some cool views of traffic jams from canal rooms (these are really neat -- nothing like seeing a gondola trying to get by a boat filled with beer, wine and food on a narrow canal.) Really, it is worth it. And the noise isn't that bad -- mostly sloshing. They don't use horns very often.

charlotte Oct 2nd, 2002 03:36 PM

Martha,<BR> Thanls for replying, but how will the weather be like? Does the fog stay the whole day when it comes?

stanberys2 Oct 2nd, 2002 09:01 PM

Been to Venice twice (October, November) no fog either time. A view across the water, coffee on the balcony - it doesn't get any better than that

Sonia Oct 3rd, 2002 07:48 AM

Hi Charlotte<BR><BR>I will be in Venice then too.. I can't find out much about New Years celebrations, but am looking forward to it very much. We have managed to get a room at the Galleria.

shawn Oct 3rd, 2002 02:49 PM

I have booked a room at the Metropole with a canal view between the 10th and 15th of Jan. Should I cancel and take another room without a view for a cheaper rate? When it is foggy dos that mean I wont be able to see the canal?

dlm Oct 3rd, 2002 03:19 PM

First, I am a person who will gladly pay extra for top-quality accommodations. That said, I think it's a waste of money to pay the high prices of canal view rooms in Venice. I just got back from an August honeymoon trip to Venice and paid a high premium for our canal view room and it's the one regret of the honeymoon. When in Venice, you see and enjoy the canals every moment -- strolling, taking a gondola ride, eating in a canal-side restaurant. You just don't need a canal view room. Of course, if I were going in Dec. and thought I might spend more time inside, and the extra price for the view was minimal -- I would conceivably reconsider. But as I've said in other posts -- next time I go to Venice I'll spend my hotel dollars on location and hotel quality -- not on a canal view.