Ronda or Cordoba?

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ronda or Cordoba?

I may have just enought time in Seville to make one of these side trips work. (Cordoba as a stopover on the train ride from Madrid/or Ronda as a day trip.)

I already have plans to go to Granada, and am torn on whether Ronda or Cordoba would be the best choice in order to see another part of Andalusia. Would love to get the board's thoughts!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 03:38 PM

Cordoba definitely deserves a one-day stop. It has some of the best monuments in Spain. Ronda is a nice, little town but it does not have the history you can find in Cordoba.I would not have any doubt in choosing Cordoba.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Ronda is a natural wonder. Cordoba is a man-made wonder. Which is most appealing to you? How much time will you really have in seville? Do you want to devote an entire day to getting back and forth to Ronda? We did Cordoba as a stop on the way from Madrid to Seville, and it is easy to do. But, we spent the night there becaue it was our first day in Spain flying in from the US and coping with jet lag.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 03:46 PM

I just loved Ronda! It truly is a natural wonder. I'd choose it over Cordoba any time, but then I'm kind of a geology freak.

We stayed at Hotel San Gabriel, which was lovely.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 03:48 PM

I've been to both and think julies gave good insight--if you want more "natural wonder" then Ronda, if you want more historical, architectual interest, then Cordoba. Also, Ronda is much more difficult to get to, so that might be a consideration as well.

(For me it would be Cordoba.)
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 03:49 PM

Enjoy Seville trying to get the essence of the way they live, then if I were you I would go to Cordoba. Although there are many tourists theMezquita is amazing as well as the cathedral that was built inside during the reign of Charles I. Take time to visit it.Also the little streets in the Juderia and much more. ROnda as Tereva says and I agree a hundred per cent is a nice small town, but I would not hesitate either in choosing Cordoba.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:16 PM

Ronda is pretty. Cordoba is magnificent - and exemplifies beuatifully specific aspects of the history of Spain. For me - Cordoba - even as a day trip - no choice.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:21 PM

How is the driving and parking in Cordoba?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:33 PM

Cordoba without any doubt. From the tree 'biggies' I liked Cordoba best. We've never had problems with finding car parks. Check on www.viamichelin.com - go to 'maps', type Cordoba. In the next screen you will see a link to 'car parks' on the right.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 01:34 AM

I'm interested in PegOnTheRoad's recommendation of Ronda over Cordoba. Peg is my sister, and we visited both places together. It's a good thing we didn't have to make a choice on our trip, because we would have been wrestling for control of the car steering wheel.

I much preferred Cordoba, but only for the Mesquita, which, to me, was mind-blowing. If you want to visit a place that evokes the spirit of the Moorish influence in Spain, I can't imagine any better example.

To me, it's the kind of place that I'd feel my life would not have been complete without having seen.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 03:10 AM

I say Córdoba, not just for the mezquita and the old town, but for El Churrasco, a great restaurant right by the mezquita where my Dad and I had our favorite meal of our trip a few years ago.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 03:19 AM

I didn't mean to imply there is no reason to visit Cordoba excpt for the Mesquita. It's just that we had only a day and a night there, so I didn't see more than the Mesquita and environs, but that was enough to justify our visit there.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 03:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cordoba is great, worth booking into a little hotel in the old town (loads of web sites and the tourist office will help. Sent 4 days in a warm small room of a hotel with a massive foyer with great tiles etc. Streets are alive and shopping to die for.

Ronda. it's a gorge with a bridge