Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome's Pantheon neighborhood (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/romes-pantheon-neighborhood-661038/)

robertsmyth Nov 27th, 2006 01:55 PM

Rome's Pantheon neighborhood

Our first trip to Rome this April. We are looking to rent a small apartment.

How is the area around the Pantheon for atmosphere, safety, restaurants, transportation?

Anyone ever stay in the Via del Gesu' apartment?

Many thanks for your thoughts!

Eloise Nov 27th, 2006 02:20 PM

Atmosphere: The heart of the historical center of Rome;

Safety: Very safe; people on the streets until late into the evening; usual big-city precautions advisable;

Restaurants: Many, in a fairly wide range of prices;

Transportation: Many points of interest within walking distance; a central transportation hub very close at Largo Argentina for places somewhat further away, such as Vatican and Colosseum (although they are also within walking distance for anyone reasonably fit and energetic).

Sorry, no experience of the Via del Gesu apartment; you might see if it is reviewed at www.slowtrav.com.

TopFlight4 Nov 27th, 2006 02:31 PM

You couldn't pick a better neighborhood than somewhere around the Pantheon!!! You will love it there.

francophile03 Nov 27th, 2006 02:55 PM

I really liked visiting this area and would love to stay there next time.

lisasandiego Nov 27th, 2006 03:59 PM

I have to agree, great area. Lots to do and see. Plus very close the Trevi fountain.

Huitres Nov 27th, 2006 04:17 PM

The Pantheon area is wonderful and always teeming with people. It is easily accessible off the main Corso Vittorio Emanuele Blvd. Note that in the piazza in front of the Pantheon is a McDonalds, so if you want to avoid the possible student cluster (due to Spring break schedules, Easter vacations, etc), I would try to find out where exactly the Via del Gesu apartment is. Hopefully, it is on a quiet side street that doesn't get streams of students and late-night partygoers (unless, of course, that is what you would like!)

lvitaly Nov 29th, 2006 01:19 PM

Just stayed in that area in Sept. It is perfect for all of the above mentioned you are looking for.It has great atmosphere,safety no problem, many restaurants and transportation is readily available .Although it is so centrally located, you may just walk most places.

sandi_travelnut Nov 29th, 2006 01:46 PM

You may not have this issue, so don't let it scare you away. I am a light sleeper and found that if my bedroom window is close to a lively Piazza or narrow alley, sound bounces off and keeps me awake. I don't like to sleep with ear plugs or by using drugs so I have to be careful about the area we stay in. Only saying that so you can ask the apt owners or brokers about how quiet it may or may not be, before you sign on the dotted line....

robertsmyth Nov 30th, 2006 08:32 PM

Thank you all!
Very helpful.