Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Rome with Toddler for a week or not at all?

Rome with Toddler for a week or not at all?

Sep 18th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Rome with Toddler for a week or not at all?

My husband and I are ecstatic about our upcoming addition in May 2014; however, we had planned to go back to Europe this summer and travel with our toddler before we found out we had been blessed.
We used to travel a lot, but finances (I stayed home for the first year with our DS and went back to school to teach) kept us at home the past 2 years. I would like a good family vacation before the baby comes to bond with our wonderful toddler, but with my school schedule, we will only get 8 days after Christmas. Is the time change too crazy to go for just 8 days? I know that if we do not go now, it will not happen for a few years, because we could barely handle 2 nights away from our son a few months ago. I'm not worried about traveling with a young child, but I AM worried it will not be enough time for us to enjoy Rome given the time change and long flight. It's such a good chunk of money, I want to make sure it is worth the expense. Last time we went to Europe for 10 days, it definitely was!
We thought the Christmas markets would be awesome in Rome, and my little bambino could play in parks, stroll and nap while we tour a few museums, eat gelato, etc. He will be almost two, and he LOVES exploring new places.
So what do you think? Rome with toddler for about a week or wait a few years? BTW, my pregnancy has been great thus far with little discomfort or nausea this time, and we would purchase travel insurance just in case something happened.
Sep 19th, 2013, 12:29 AM

I cannot tell you to go or not to go. It depends on your flexibility and desire to enjoy the experience.
However, I can tell you about my personal experience.
I have a 2.5 year old boy we live in Asia as expats and we have travelled for a 8 to 10 days on flights that are more than 10 hours with a time difference between 6 to 8 hours (forward or backwards)
I take all necessary items like a comfortable stroller so he can nap and even sleep at night while we enjoy late diner.
I make sure he gest his meals on time and I carry pajama and bottle all day because I never know when we will go back to the hotel.
Our trips are pretty intense... 10 to 14 hour walks and exploration, he walks and when tired he goes in the stroller or naps
We don't do all at the same pace as before but we don't limit ourselves from the experience.
The more my son travels, the more he is used to.
Sep 19th, 2013, 03:24 AM

I would go for it, if you feel up to it. Rent an apartment, rather than stay in a hotel. Do get travel insurance, and make sure it covers your pregnancy.
Sep 19th, 2013, 06:09 AM

One thing to consider is though you are not experiencing much nausea, you may feel more tired this time around. I worked full time until the day my first was born. Pregnant with my second I napped every day that I didn't work-being pregnant while chasing a 2 year old was much more tiring! I also traveled while pregnant with #2 and the 3 hour flight with 2 hour time change for a week was enough of a challenge for me. So much depends on how well YOU will handle the lack of sleep, especially while pregnant.
Sep 19th, 2013, 06:17 AM

Honestly, Mrs Hill - I wouldn't do it. Not Rome, anyway. The cobbled streets are killers on the feet, and getting on and off buses with a stroller is no fun. and there aren't that many parks to run around in in the centre, apart from the Borghese which is no fun if it's raining. Even the Colosseum is outdoors, ditto the Forum.

if it has to be Europe, I'd go for Paris or better still Vienna - lovely parks all round the city, a relatively small city centre to walk around, a wonderful transport system [there are lifts down to virtually all the U-bahn platforms] loads of museums and palaces, and wonderful Christmas markets. you could throw in a day trip or overnight to Salzburg as well, or fly into one and out of the other and get the train in between.

I love Rome, but I would wait a few years until you can all enjoy it. I'd been to Italy numerous times before I got to Rome, and the amazement on my son's face when he saw the Colosseum for the first time and was able to appreciate it, was well worth waiting for.
Sep 19th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies and tips! I appreciate reading about your personal experiences. We are still very much undecided on what to do, since Rome was at the top of our list, but we are also considering a stateside trip to somewhere like Florida to escape the bitter, Midwest cold. We are torn, because our son is at a very good age right now (starting to communicate, listen, enjoys being around people, yet still sleeps well in a stroller), and we know we won't try it with two for quite some time; at the same time, I don't want it to be a bust due to the time of year and time limits.
Sep 19th, 2013, 08:19 PM

There's no guarantee you'll escape the cold in Rome. Snow would not be unusual.

I'd go to Hawaii. Better, more reliable weather than Florida at that time of year. The lowest temp ever recorded in Honolulu is 52F.
Sep 19th, 2013, 09:01 PM

You may want to check out this blog by my friend and former poster Myra. I think you'll find it helpful.

http://www.restlesstoroam.com/about/#
Sep 25th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for that link! It has great information and firsthand experience.

Search this Thread