Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome with kids April 2019 - lodging recs please

Nov 28th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Just booked flights to Rome. We will be there April 13 to 19. Am interested in hearing recommendations for good family lodging. Looking for $200 or less per night for 2 adults and 2 boys (ages 5 and 8), I've looked on booking.com and am overwhelmed with the choices. Would like to stay in a place that is nicely located as we do not plan to rent a car or take taxis. Thanks in advance!
Nov 29th, 2018, 06:11 AM

I agree it takes a while to sort through everything that is on offer, but we've had good luck renting small apartments through VRBO.com We were in Rome this year for 3 weeks and stayed close to the Trevi Fountain for about 90 Euros a night (no point in giving you the link as it was a studio and only accommodated 2 people). Any accommodation near the Piazza Navona, Campo de Fiori, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, or the Spanish Steps is central and walkable and there is a good bus system. Apartments give us the flexibility we like and there are plenty of small grocery stores in the heart of Rome, not to mention great dining options at very reasonable prices.
Nov 29th, 2018, 06:30 AM

I'd book asap as you are going during Holy Week, which is a very busy time in Rome with Catholic visitors and pilgrims.
Nov 29th, 2018, 09:05 AM

Basically anything between the Colosseum at one end and the Vatican at the other end will be in the centre. The Vatican is off on it's own and I'd only suggest heading that far out if you expect to visit the Vatican more than once during your stay.

The area nearer the Colosseum tends to offer good value but it's more than an hour walk to the Vatican for an adult. Obviously kids are going to take longer. But there is so much in between that doesn't have to be a problem.

Or you can make things easier by picking some place in between. It'll likely be more expensive

No where in this area would need a car. Nor would you want one. I'd strongly suggest you don't even dream of a car for Rome. Also since it's not much more than an hour walk from one end to the other you'd only need a cab if you felt tired. From memory it's just over 4km going from the Colosseum to the Vatican.

$US Or?
Nov 30th, 2018, 11:31 PM

Hi, I think you should be able to find a place for $200 or less.

Nick is correct in that the area in the middle will be more expensive, but that doesn't mean you can't find a place there.

I don't care for the area around Termini or the Colosseum as much as the area by the Vatican, called the Prati. Just my preference.

This is the place I helped my friend reserve two summers ago, and they liked it. It is unfortunately booked for part of your stay but it won't work.
But look at where it is on the map.

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p1961754
Dec 1st, 2018, 05:34 AM

We have rented several excellent apartments in Rome on airbnb. You can sort options by map and price. Part of the fun for us is exploring the photos of each of several places and picking one together. Perhaps that might encourage the kids to get excited about the trip? There are many to choose from in your price range. Airbnb also offers some units they call airbnb plus, which have more consistent amenities. Look at the reviews and try to read between the lines. Our last rental needed to be near the Termini station to meet up with arriving family members (an area that was a little dirty), but the apartment was modern, spacious, clean and well managed. Three bedrooms for 7 people for us was still under $150.
Dec 1st, 2018, 06:40 AM
mms

Take a look at the Hotel Miami. We stayed there years ago when our kids were the same ages as yours and it worked great for us. The location was safe and central enough that we walked everywhere except to the Vatican. I would not hesitate at all to stay there again, FWIW.
Dec 2nd, 2018, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

What about this place https://residenza-san-clemente-it.book.direct/en-gb

It's
in our budget, has great reviews, and seems like it is nicely located.
Dec 2nd, 2018, 09:21 AM

Looks like a good location. I see the 2-bedroom listed on a couple sites. "Booking" was cheaper than one I looked at (which I believe was a b and b site). The one bedroom is listed on numerous sites including airbnb and vrbo as well. Always good to check multiple sites because we have found prices do vary.
Dec 2nd, 2018, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Booking.com added about $200 in fees! Still very affordable. I found a speculator apartment by the Spanish steps for 290 euros a night... above budget but maybe worth it for a splurge? I donít know the area as well but if I recall correctly itís very fancy. I think Iíd prefer an area with more modest, local character but still accessible.
Dec 2nd, 2018, 11:52 AM

Trastevere is our favorite area of Rome for lodging. We have only rented places for 2 persons there. This blurb from the internet describes the area well: "Colorful Trastevere is a funky, bohemian area that clings to its centuries-old, working-class roots. It's known for traditional and innovative trattorias, craft beer pubs and artisan shops, as well as simple B&Bs and budget hotels. From the pre-dinner passeggiata (promenade) until late, a young crowd buzzes around Piazza di San Calisto and Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere, the site of a gilded, mosaic-filled church."

We like to walk, browse, and people watch, so the extra 25-30 minutes it takes to reach such places as the Colisseum or the Pantheon is worth it for us. The Spanish Steps is a bit more in the center of things. The Residenza San Clemente, while close to the Colisseum, is further away from places like the Vatican than Trastevere. Having said that, Rome is very walkable, and the greatest walking distance from one end to the other is about an hour.
Dec 8th, 2018, 09:46 AM

I sent you a private message.