We have just booked a 6-night trip to Rome in February with our kids, who will be 11 and 6 at the time.
As background, DH and I have been to Rome once 3 years ago. The kids have not been to Rome, but we took a Scandinavia/Russia cruise over the summer and we've also been to the UK. I would gauge their tolerance for museums/ruins at maybe the high end of average for their ages. I have a minor in art history (which is a totally weak qualification), and I think it helps that I can weave a bit of a story or give some background to things.
My questions are: What would be a great experience in Rome for the kids? Where are parks or piazzas where we can just kind let them play? (They LOVED Museumplein in Amsterdam) My eldest is a bit of a catastrophist so I'm thinking he would be impressed by Pompeii/Vesuvius--is that worth a day trip? I'm mentally planning to splurge on 1-2 tours... maybe a food tour? Colosseum tour? Pompeii tour? Any advice or tips at all would be very appreciated!
We definitely are not going to try and see it all. I would say we want to balance seeing stuff with plenty of free time for the kids.
Thank you for reading!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with Venice Trip?
- 2 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 3 10 Days in Austria
- 4 Preliminary planning for Croatia May or June 2017
- 5 Le Marche Research Help
- 6 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 7 FCO hotel for late arrival?
- 8 Greece in end October
- 9 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 10 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 11 [Crete] Trapped in Skouloufia? Please help!
- 12 GTG Paris December 2017
- 13 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 14 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 15 Planning to visit Italy in first 2 weeks of Jan
- 16 Favorite London memories
- 17 Help/Critique Slovenia Trip
- 18 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
- 19 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 20 Return to Slovenia and Venice plus Trieste
- 21 Norte Dame light show!
- 22 Leaving Paris. Just a little sad.
- 23 Avignon
- 24 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 25 8 months around Europe