Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome with 3 young children (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-with-3-young-children-137051/)

Charlie Jan 5th, 2002 05:12 PM

Rome with 3 young children

My wife and I will be in Rome for 10 days with our 3 daughters ages 3, 5, and 7 in late March and early April. We would like suggestions for a full service hotel in a convenient location that can accomodate our family. We would prefer to keep everyone in one large room. Recently renovated rooms and baths are a plus.

Rex Jan 5th, 2002 07:10 PM

I typically cite my positive experiences with the Cesari or del Senato - - but I know of no such rooms large enough to sleep five at either.<BR><BR>Often mention just as favorably is the Santa Chiara - - http://www.albergosantachiara.com - - in a similarly good location, and they do mention having one or more "mini-apartments". I think you will find a ton of good comments here, and on the Fodors Rants'n'Raves site. Perhaps someone can give you their personal experiences with a family group similar to yours.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Leslie Jan 5th, 2002 08:03 PM

If it is of any help to know, stayed in room 102 at the Albergo Santa Chiara with our two kids in April. It had two fold-out twin hidabeds in the anteroom, which included a TV, refrigerator or mini-bar. Then, a separate very large bedroom with a comfortable king bed. The little one could probably sleep with mom and dad but the room was also large enough to accomodate a rollaway which we didn't need. Bathroom was very modernized (shower, but no tub).<BR><BR>The location, staff, ambience, and buffet breakfast were just perfect.

Surlok Jan 5th, 2002 08:12 PM

Charlie,<BR><BR>I don't think that there's a room in a full service hotel that accommodates five, assuming that your 3 yo daughter doesn't use a crib to sleep anymore.<BR><BR>The most suitable solution would be a suite, ot two connected rooms. You can have a triple for you, your wife and youngest daughter, and a connected twin bedded room for the other two girls.<BR><BR>May I ask your budget? Also, when you said full service, do you mean that you want a hotel with a restaurant, or 24 hours room service would match your needs?<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S

Vincenzo Jan 6th, 2002 02:09 AM

Dear Charlie, I suggest you a location just out from Rome, maybe in the hills located at the South of Rome and named, as you know, Castelli Romani.<BR>The small town named Frascati is the best solution, I suppose, because you arrive at Rome by train in 10 minutes.<BR>Ciao.

Surlok Jan 6th, 2002 07:52 AM

Vicenzo,<BR><BR>If Charlie doesn't mind staying a little far from the Historic Quarter, Parioli, in the Villa Borghese vicinity, would be his best option, don't you think? Closer and handier than Frescati, with the Borghese Gardens for the kids to enjoy, and in a quiet and residential neighborhood. Still, no more than 10 minutes by taxi from Piazza di Spagna,and no more than 15 mins the Vatican and the Piazza Navona and Foro Imperiale area.<BR><BR>Rehards,<BR><BR>S

nancy Jan 6th, 2002 02:18 PM

The Hotel Torre della Argentina<BR>which is on the Corso Vittorio Emmanulle<BR>between Campo di fiori and p. Navona has a "suite" which we stayed in our first night in rome.<BR>The hotel is nice, and clean, and a "good" 3 star.<BR>Our "suite" consisted of a bedroom with a queen bed,<BR>and another room which has a pullout double (or maybe queen?) size couch and a pulldown <BR>"Murphy" style twin bed.<BR>these two beds would definitely accommodate your 3 daughters, as they as small enough that 2 can share the pullout couch.<BR>the bathroom is very large and luxurious.<BR>the suite is in the back of the hotel ,so street noise would be mimimal.<BR>and there is a lovely small terrace attached to the room.<BR>Therre is also a TV which will come in handy for claming down tired little girls.<BR>and they serve a decnt breakfast <BR>from 7-10am.<BR>the hotel is also right on a major bus oute, if you are thinking of using that mode of transportation.<BR>the suite was OK for our family of 4.<BR>of course for 5 it maight be a bit more of a squeeze.<BR>While the hotel was not my favorite<BR>(we also stayed at del Senato, which is lovely!)<BR>I really see nothing to NOT recommend it.<BR>their E-address is<BR>[email protected]<BR>Good luck and have fun!!

Marj Jan 6th, 2002 03:51 PM

The Santa Ciara also has 1 or 2 apartment type rooms with kitchen. We stayed in a 2 room suite, down the hall from us was a family of 5 (with older kids) staying in the apartment type room.

Vincenzo Jan 8th, 2002 09:57 AM

Dear Surlok, Charlie will be in Rome for 10 days with his 3 daughters. So he can spend , several half days or one or two whole days spend visiting Castelli Romani. Frascati is wonderful for Ville. Castelgandolfo, where Pope goes in summer, is wonderful for its sweet and small lake where there are beach also. Nemi is unique: the lake is small and the town is a dream place. I can understand that it's normal to stay at Rome to visit Rome but Charlie is a very luck man because he has 10 days: wonderful. So that my suggest is to choose a good hotel at Frascati or at Grottaferrata ( Villa Fiorio is the best ).<BR>Ciao.

Charlie Jan 10th, 2002 05:33 PM

Thank you for all of your thoughts. It was also suggested by a friend to stay near the Spanish Steps as this is close to many sites. Any thoughts for hotels in this area ?<BR><BR>Charlie