Rome - What part of city to stay in?

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 08:36 AM
julie

Rome - What part of city to stay in?

Spending four days in Rome in June -- what section of the city is best? <BR> <BR>Hotel Aberdeen -- any knowledge of this hotel?

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 11:39 AM
Richard

I just did a bunch of research on this. It seems to be in the middle of it all to stay in 'Old Rome' around the Piazza Navona or the Spanish Steps. It seems like hotels near the Vatican, Colloseum and Trastevere are not as convenient to the center of it all. From what I have read, avoid the area around the train station.

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 12:26 PM
Sheila

Rome is remarkably small. If you are within a coupe of hundred yards of the wall (outside) you are in easy walking distance of everywhere. Try to stay off main roads outside the wall, because traffic noise can be quite high.

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 05:02 PM
richard j. vicek

Good evening, Julie <BR>I total agree with valleyankee that the <BR>area around the Spanish Steps or Pza <BR>Navona, have stayed on the via Sistina <BR>for many years at the Internazionale... <BR>Also the Hotel Aberdeen, Via Firenze,48 <BR>Rwl 06-4823920, is a three star hotel <BR>with 27 rooms, 5 baths/25 showers, it <BR>is located in a large commercial district, plenty of ristorantes and hotels around and about two to three <BR>blocks west of the Termini RR Station. <BR>Like being in any large city you must <BR>keep your eyes open, know what is going <BR>around you. Richard of Hickory Hills, Il....

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 09:38 PM
Denise

We stayed last October in Hotel Patria and the Regno Hotel. Patria short walk to the station, Regno 5 minutes to Pantheon and Trevi, on Via del Corso. Regno won hands down. <BR>

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 10:03 PM
Bill Fleites

Julie, I agree that either Piazza Navonna or the Spanish Steps would be good. However, I personally would prefer the Piazza Navonna area. It is less crowded and feels more like a residential neighborhood than the Spanish Steps. It is also closer to the rest of the best tourist sites in Rome (Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Vatican Museum, St Peters, Coloseum, and the Roman Forum). The Spanish Steps are unbelievably crowded, very loud, and it is a little bit farther away from the aforementioned sites. I stayed at the Hotel Accademia, Piazza Accademia di San Luca 75. It was OK but not great. I liked its location (near Trevi Fountain), the room was clean but a bit small. <BR>

Old Apr 1st, 1999, 08:59 AM
Joe

Denise, We'll be in Rome in October. Can you tell me a little more about the Hotel Regno? I checked the Fodor's hotel list but its not included. What did you like about it? What was the price? Any problems, etc? Thanks, Joe

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 11:53 AM
mwg

We just stayed in the Aventine area. There are many villas (some of which are now hotels), lots of trees and very quiet. I once stayed near the train station and could not sleep for the noise. I wanted to be in a place where the surroundings were pleasant and I really enjoyed the Aventine. It was a short walk to the forum but somwaht further to Piazza Navonna.

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 06:26 PM
Denise

<BR>Hi Joe, <BR> <BR>I have recently answered several emails re the Hotel Regno, so please excuse me if I am repeating myself to you. We had no problems with the Regno at all. It is in the old Kingdom of Italy Library. It is extremely central, great staff, very clean, large bathrooms, good breakfast room and terrace and food great. JThe front desk people are very friendly, quite the opposite to another hotel we stayed in earlier in the trip in Rome. We paid in October last year $205 Australia which would at today's conversion be considerably less US. Currently the rate is 62.98 US to our $. <BR>Good cafes around the corner, easy walking distance to major sights. Email me if you need more.

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 06:27 PM
Denise

<BR>Hi Joe, <BR> <BR>I have recently answered several emails re the Hotel Regno, so please excuse me if I am repeating myself to you. We had no problems with the Regno at all. It is in the old Kingdom of Italy Library. It is extremely central, great staff, very clean, large bathrooms, good breakfast room and terrace and food great. JThe front desk people are very friendly, quite the opposite to another hotel we stayed in earlier in the trip in Rome. We paid in October last year $205 Australia which would at today's conversion be considerably less US. Currently the rate is 62.98 US to our $. <BR>Good cafes around the corner, easy walking distance to major sights. Email me if you need more.

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 07:43 PM
Marcie

My favorite location is at the bottom of the Spanish steps. It is centrally located for good walking tours of the sites. There are also great restaurants.

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 08:07 AM
Joanne

I have to endorse our Rome hotel again - The Grand Hotel Plaza, on via del corso. Look up my post of last week to see details, or email me.

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 11:08 AM
Monica

Last May my husband and I stayed around the corner from the Campo di Fiori. It was within walking distance from everything. We even walked home from the Vatican. Trastevere is only at 15 minute walk as well as the Colosseum. Piazza Navona is only a 5-7 minute walk. We stayed at Hotel Smeraldo, which was a very nice little place. Clean, quiet, and inexpensive. Also nearby was the main bus route to get to/from the train station.

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 11:21 AM
Jen

We were very, very, happy that we chose to stay at the Hotel Savoy. It is situated less than 10 minutes walking from the top of the Spanish Steps and is directly off of Via Veneto on Via Ludovisi. It was in between the Hotel Eden and the Excelsior. Rooms were a bit plain, but very comfortable. The location could not have been any better.

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 02:27 PM
Joyce

We just returned from Italy on Tuesday and stayed near the Vatican at the Hotel Alimandi. It was great! We were close to the Vatican for Easter and really could walk anywhere or take the bus. On the first leg of our trip we stayed near the Campo di Fiore, but I liked the Vatican area better. Also the Hotel Alimandi was so nice, a spacious room, nice bathroom, terry towels, and all the people at the hotel are so friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. Write me for more info. We also went to Florence and Venice.