Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome Vs Venice in January? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-vs-venice-in-january-954812/)

Ernormous Oct 26th, 2012 01:20 PM

Rome Vs Venice in January?

Going to Paris from Dec 26th- Dec 31st. Then planning to go to either Rome or Venice From Jan 1st - Jan 5th. Not too long. Wondering if anyone has a strong opinion as to which is better for a short visit that time of year.
Don't love really touristy activities or crowds.

Michael Oct 26th, 2012 01:29 PM

I would choose Rome. Venice is predominantly a city to be seen on the outside. The pleasure is to walk around and discover little corners for yourself. Being on water, it will tend to be chilly and damp. You might not like touristy activities, but at least there are more worthwhile museums in Rome that can be visited if the weather is lousy.

annhig Oct 26th, 2012 01:38 PM

i agree with Michael - Rome is a far less weather dependent destination than Venice.

Ernormous Oct 26th, 2012 02:19 PM

so, this is actually the article that as swaying me.....

but I appreciate the feedback from all of you!

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/11/28...nted=all&_r=1&

Michael Oct 26th, 2012 02:41 PM

If you had already read the article and had decided to go to Venice, why ask us?

denisea Oct 26th, 2012 02:45 PM

Venice is magnificent and I woukd go in Spring or Fall, with less crowds. But, it will be cold in winter and it wouldn't be my favorite time to visit. I would think it will feel quite damp which makes me feel even colder. I am sure it would still be beautiful, just not ideal conditions.

Rome would be better given the time frame you are considering.

jamikins Oct 26th, 2012 02:47 PM

Definitely Rome, but be sure you fly home from there and don't have to spend the time getting back to Paris with only a few days to spare...

Ernormous Oct 26th, 2012 03:26 PM

Michael- Where did I say that I had decided to go to Venice? I was sharing a well written article with beautiful vision of Venice.

This is part of the process and a format for people to share, not to admonish.

i appreciate feedback from all. THANK YOU.

Michael Oct 26th, 2012 03:52 PM

<i>so, this is actually the article that as swaying me.....

but I appreciate the feedback from all of you!</i>

Presumably it swayed you enough to choose Venice, and the "but" indicates that you are not following the suggestions because of the original article.

nytraveler Oct 26th, 2012 04:33 PM

Another vote for Rome.

Friends went to Venice for the holidays a couple of years ago and they had rain the whole time. Granted - there are indoor sights in Venice too - but a lot is wandering the neighborhoods and it was just too nasty for them (sheets of rain and windy as well). Luckily they had a really nice hotel suite so being indoors a lot wasn't too painful.

mamcalice Oct 26th, 2012 04:46 PM

I definitely suggest Rome. My fondest memories of Venice (a b3autiful and unique city)are of blue skies and breezes. I can't imagine that it would be the same in December. I know many people who have visited Rome in the winter and have had very nice weather.

Leely2 Oct 26th, 2012 04:58 PM

I've been to Venice in the dead of winter and it was terrific, far better than when I've been in warmer weather because it was less crowded. But I'd still pick Rome because you have a greater chance of sunny skies. Coldish days, but blue, sunny skies. One year I was in Rome over the holidays and it was often almost too warm to wear a coat during the day.

Just luck, though.

gwan Oct 27th, 2012 12:07 AM

I'm a fan of visiting places in the off-season, despite occasional weather and other inconveniences (shorter opening times etc.) I went to Venice around this time of year, rather than January, but I really enjoyed it. The rain and "acqua alta" (flooding) made for a unique experience and great photos, and there were already not too many tourists. If you fancy Venice, go for it. I went to Rome in late summer, so can't really compare weather-wise, but of course it's a great city too.

Lauratg Oct 27th, 2012 03:23 AM

Thanks for posting the link to the Times article Ernormous. We will be in Venice this January (1-5), and the article compounds my excitement!

We plan to pack raincoats and layers of clothing.

bendigo Oct 27th, 2012 04:37 AM

I enjoyed the re-assurance of the article too - we will be in Venice mid December - getting very excited!

Ernormous Oct 28th, 2012 08:58 PM

We've decided to actually stay in Paris the whole time.... and do Venice AND Rome on another trip.
But Im so happy you enjoyed the article. It does sound very dreamy...

julia1 Oct 28th, 2012 10:31 PM

I love Venice in winter! It's wonderful! Without the crowds you can wander at will and enjoy the sheer beauty of the place. Lots of interesting churches and museums, ristorantes and trattorias to duck into when you need to warm up. I hope you will decide to visit in winter another year if you have already kissed it off for early 2013. The skies are often clear and brilliant blue, days mild, and evening falls early. Romantic to the max!

And aqua alta? If it happens, which isn't guarenteed, visually it turns the city into a magical series of the most photogenic reflections ever.