Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome, Venice, or Florence? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-venice-or-florence-435711/)

colombept May 26th, 2004 08:18 AM

Rome, Venice, or Florence?

I'm taking a quick trip from Paris to either Rome, Venice, or Florence for 5 nights (6 days). This is my first trip to Italy and I have no idea which city (or cities) I should visit. Does anyone have a "must-see" list or recommended itinerary? I love history and architecture and I know all these are rich in those areas. Also, would I have time to visit 2 of these 3 towns? I've also heard that Siena and Assissi are beautiful, but I doubt I'll have time to see them...

I'm not planning or renting a car, so any suggestions on trains/buses would be welcome (if I pick 2 towns to visit).

Statia May 26th, 2004 08:24 AM

You will undoubtedly get many, many different opinions here. If it were me, based on your interests, I would equally lsplit that time between Florence and Venice. Or, do 4 days Florence, 2 days Venice.

Good luck in your planning!

MFNYC May 26th, 2004 08:24 AM

You can stay in FLorence the entire 5 nights and do some day trips from there. Or maybe 2 night Venice and 3 in FLorence. If you really want to see ROme, then I would spend the entire time there.

Statia May 26th, 2004 08:26 AM

I forgot to add that as far as recommended iteneraries, you could always do a text search for the various trip reports here on Fodors and see what sounds good to you.

adrienne May 26th, 2004 08:31 AM

My answer depends on when you're going. If your trip is in the winter I would suggest Rome for the entire time. If in the milder weather I would see Florence and Venice (or Florence and day trips). I don't think I'd enjoy Venice as much in the colder weather.

I agree with MFNYC about not splitting Rome with another city. You'd need the entire 6 days there.

rex May 26th, 2004 08:50 AM

I think you have to do some reading for yourself. It's a little bit like saying "I know nothing about English literature - - should I start with a course on Dickens, Milton or Shakespeare?"

It's the verb "should visit" that throws me, I guess. You refer to this as a quick trip. How many days total? how many in France? Is it hastily arranged? or short in duration?

I don't know that you &quot;should&quot; leave France at all to go to Italy. I would think it would be about &quot;want to&quot;. And if you know nothing about any of the three of them, what makes you think you &quot;want to&quot;? You must know <i>something</i> about Italy that makes you think you <i>want</i> to go there.

Start with what you think you know, and build on it.

And FWIW, I don't think that 4 days in Rome with a side trip to Florence for 8-36 hours would be such a bad idea.

Nor would splitting Venice and Florence over 5 nights be a bad idea.

Why are you going to Paris? but not interested in anywhere else in France?

There is <i>some</i> introductory reading material on all of the major destinations at http://www.fodors.com/miniguides

Best wishes,

Rex

boxwood May 26th, 2004 08:56 AM

spent 5 days in rome during the heat wave in august last year and it was still spectactular - even with 3 kids in tow. we then took 1st class rail to venice for a few days of rest! also gorgeous, but crowded (aug. 20?). read irving stone's &quot;the agony and ecstacy&quot; and go to rome!

ira May 26th, 2004 09:06 AM

Hi colo,

Assuming that you will be there during the season and that you are spending at least a week in Paris, I suggest you do 3 days in Florence, with a day trip to Siena, and 2 days in Venice.

www.volareweb.com flies Paris Orly to both Rome FCO and Venice for about 40E.

lilygirl May 26th, 2004 09:10 AM

I myself would have to vote for Rome. There is just so much to see and do. And, I did love Florence and Venice, however, there was just something about Rome that captivated me.

Weezie May 26th, 2004 09:14 AM

I would vote for going only to Florence. For me, Florence is magical. Period. It would also be a nice break from the big city bustle of Paris and of course has everything to offer in terms of art, architecture, day trips, food.