Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome, Venice, Florence for two weeks in November with Grandpa (80y.o.) and Kids (10 & 12). Any tips appreciated!

Search

Rome, Venice, Florence for two weeks in November with Grandpa (80y.o.) and Kids (10 & 12). Any tips appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Angus

I am concerned about weather, crowds, museum hours, etc. I know it is much cheaper to go in the off-season, but is it ultimately worth it? Is everything closed, or only open a couple of days a week? Also, we rented a wheelchair for grandpa on the last trip (Paris and London) and it was a godsend. How wheelchair-friendly is Italy, though? Gramps is not wheelchair bound, but long walks or many stairs are out of the question. Thank you for any and all help!!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:43 PM
sarah

I'm no expert, but I was in Florence in October, and still felt the Vespas on the narrow streets were life-threatening. I can't begin to imagine trying to negotiate those streets on foot or in a wheel chair during the summer tourist season. <BR><BR>More sites were open in October than one could possibly visit, especially in the cities. Lines will be shorter. Hours will be shorter, but long enough that you'll be tired by the time activities close. There will be less places for the kids to run around outdoors in November, but it sounds like you're sticking to the big cities, anyways. <BR><BR>I think you'll have a great time, but you will need to plan it and respect Grandpa's limitations. I went with my 78 year old mother and 10 yr old son to Paris in February - off season, as well. Earlier closures were no problem. My mom was pretty good, but she pooped out on us at Notre Dame and demanded we return to the hotel, so we didn't get to climb the stairs or see much of the cathedral. That sort of problem is more "life" seasonal, than "tourist" seasonal. Still, it is all well worth it for the experience and the memories! <BR><BR>Have a great time!<BR>Have a great trip!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:10 PM
me

is this working?

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:51 AM
gary rust/Minn.

Angus -- My wife and I spent 1 week in Rome in February, 2002. I can definitely recommend Rome in the "off-season" The crowds are smaller, and the weather was fine. You could get rain of course (we didn't), but temperates should be 50s-60s F. I would never visit in the summer months. Museums and sites do not seem to close in "off-season," but have "reduced" hours. The Vatican Museum, for instance, is open only in the a.m. -- 8:30 to 12:30. I highly recommend it. Rome is a walking city, but auto and motorcycle traffic is heavy, even in the off-season. Streets are narrow, and often old cobblestone, so wheel-chairs would not be easy. Rome is only just beginning to be "wheel-chair accessible." There are of course very reasonably-priced "tourist buses" that regularly travel to main sites. Taxis are plentiful, but I'm not sure how they accommodate wheel-chairs. The Rome Subway is limited, as it does not run directly to (under) the old part of the city. Ciao

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Lauren

Angus,<BR>I went to Rome with my mother and my 92 yr. old grandmother in October 2 years ago so I have some insights on the wheelchair situation there.<BR><BR>Lots and lots of cobblestone streets. It's hard to push and it's hard to sit through it. But, that being said, we saw just about everything. We did have the help of an Italian relative who spoke to the security guards and got us to the front of the lines and through sealed off passages because of the wheelchair.<BR><BR>Vatican museum - good with wheelchair. They had a chair lift that took you down to the sistene chapel area where we went right in. We had to go back the same way - which was confusing, but again, the crowds wait for you. From there, we went through some passageway underneath the museum which connected us to St. Peter's through a Swiss Army guarded back door. We avoided about 2 hours worth of lines (in the pouring rain). This was not a straight ramp, but rather a set of very long shallow steps - easy for Grandma to negotiate.<BR><BR>Colloseo - different story - with the wheel chair she was relegated to the first area where walked in. She could see the ground, but the steps were out of the question. The steps in there were hard for us. Again, one Italian relative sat with her there while we meandered.<BR><BR>Pantheon and other sites - navigating the cobblestone streets was the hardest part. The forum might be hard also as it's off the main street. Again, have someone sit with him and do the meandering in shifts. We had a relative literally walk out into the street and stop traffic. Scary, but it worked.<BR><BR>In Rome, the weather was mixed - one day 70 and sunny and one day rainy. Also, for a great and memorable dinner, go to La Cisterna (I think it's in Trastevere). The waiters were singing to my Grandmother in Italian.<BR><BR>Florence might be different as the city is smaller and much easier to navigate on foot. My grandmother wasn't there for this trip, but from what I remember with the streets, it might be easier than in Rome to push the chair. Narrow sidewalks though. I would try to make an arrangement in advance with the Uffizzi so you could get right in with the chair as it's a long long museum.<BR>We were there in March and it was hailing, but we didn't mind one bit as it was the most beautiful place I had ever seen.<BR><BR>Everything was open and the hours were normal when I went to both places. (I've never been to Venice but from what I've read, it's a walking city)<BR><BR>I hope this helps a little!<BR>Enjoy!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Marj

if necessary, you can always cab it between sights and bring the wheel along in Rome. Florence is more compact so between his walking and the wheelchair, he can probably manage. In any of these places there are always piazzas around where all of you can sit and rest in between site-seeing.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Marj

One more thing, while in Florence, be sure to take the kids to the History of Science museum.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Angus

Sarah, Gary, Lauren and Marj!<BR>Thank you all so much for the info! I have never used this forum before, and am so grateful for people like yourselves, who take the time to aide a stranger. The tips are going to be invaluable to us and our planning. <BR><BR>We are thinking of opting for a British Airways package that includes airfare, and 13 nights in the Boscolo Hotel Astoria in Florence. From there we can make day or overnight trips to Rome and Venice. Apparently the hotel is close to the train station in Florence, and we can just travel to the other cities with overnight bags (a huge time/nerve saver)!<BR><BR>Again, thank you...thank you...thank you! Angus<BR>P.S.<BR>We live in San Francisco, and from now on when I see a bewildered tourist on the street I am going to go out of my way to offer assistance...remembering you and your kindness to us! Ciao Bellas!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 01:47 PM
me

anymore ideas, anyone?

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Laura

The science museum in Florence near the Uffizi should please everyone. There are lots of instruments there which were made for the Medicis hundreds of years ago using precious metals. I found them to be gorgeous - and I have very little interest in science! Exhibits of Galileo et al - things I could easily follow. Lots of fascinating old maps. Kids should love it. It is a tall narrow building so you will have to find out from them if there are any elevators for Grandpa. Museo di Storia della Scienza (Science Museum) Piazza dei Giudici 1, next to the Uffizi at the Arno end of Via dei Castellani Phone 055-239-8876 <BR><BR>Mom must not miss the most charming shop in Florence. The Farmacia (sp?) of Santa Maria Novella. It is in a beautiful little building 1 block from the church for which it is named. Fabulous toiletries and pot pourris made from recipes hundreds of years old. Wonderful for gifts. <BR><BR>I was in Florence in November a few years ago. It was unusually cold, so take some extra layers of knit silk for warmth without bulk. Florence was neither empty nor crowded. Just right, for my taste. If I were to return, I would go in late October for thin crowds and better weather. <BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip!<BR>Laura

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:11 PM
peggi

We were in Rome with kids ages 9 and 11 (no Grandpa, sadly) last summer and it was HOT, HOT, HOT!! I could not believe how little relief there was from the heat...even our A/C equipped hotel room offered little respite...just didn't crank up the way US A/C's do. And almost nothing else is air conditioned: not the Vatican Museum, much to my surprise, not the Capitoline and (of course) not the Forum or Colliseum. So I think November is a terrific plan...at least Grandpa and kids won't wilt!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 01:04 PM
angus

anyone else have any ideas? Great info so far. Thanks to all!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Hmmmmmm

<BR>Fee Fi fi fum I smell the blood of the same troll who wanted to know about sending the kid to Russia alone ,the daughter off to Spain w/2 gay chaperones.......

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 10:37 AM
angus

What does THAT mean?