Rome,Venice,Florence

May 14th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Rome,Venice,Florence

I have found a lovely apartment in Rome but I also want to travel to Venice and Florence. Anyone have a suggestion of a route and means of transportation? I would like to spend a week in each place. There will be a total of six people- 3 couples. Do I fly into Rome and then travel back to Rome from my final destination?
May 14th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Hi milliebest. How exciting, an apartment in beautiful Rome! And I personally like your idea of a week in each of the three cities.

Travelling from Florence and then to Venice (or from Rome to Venice and then Florence) is so easy. Take the train.

I assume you have not purchased your plane tickets yet? I am assuming that because you ask "do I fly into Rome and then travel back to Rome from my final destination?"

Next question. Have you actaully reserved the apartment in Rome?

If not, here is what I would do. I would fly into Venice, have your week kthere, then visit Florence and then go to Rome. And fly home from Rome. This is called an open jaw ticket.

Some will disagree that Venice is "too special" to stay in when you first arrive, feeling jet lagged etc. IMO Venice is perfect when one first arrives. It is a beautiful place to unwind from the jetlag and the busy days before traveling when one is so busy with last minute preparations.

Flying home from Rome is generally easier then flying home from Venice. I assume you are from the US? Most fights from Venice for American flying home leave very early in the morning. Not the end of the world (use the search function here to read past post) but it does always cause one a bit of turmoil it appears. I solve the problem by just not going to bed the night before (probably not the best decision, LOL).

Flying home from Rome is easier.

If you have already purchased your plane tickets I would then stay in Rome (assuming you have already rented the apartment), train to Venice for the second part of your vacation and the train to Florence. Then train back to Rome to fly home.

There are so many sidetrips you can do by train from Rome, Florence and Venice when you want to get out of the cities. I am sure you will get a lot of advise to perhaps stay in other towns and to move around more. To me staying in one place for a week is so much nicer. Not all the constant packing and unpacking and then losing so much time moving from lodging to lodging.

There are so many places you can train to from all three cities. And in Florence there is a bus if you wish to go to Sienna.

I hope that I have helped, or did I confuse you more?
May 14th, 2005, 02:55 PM

Can you get an open-jaw flight into Venice and out of Rome, or vice versa?

My choice was to get the cheapest flight possible to London. Then I got a budget flight to Venice, later took the train to Florence, then the train to Rome, flew back on a budget airline to London, and then home again (with overnights near Heathrow both ways). This may or may not be a good option for you.

It's easy to travel by train between the cities. About three hours between Venice and Florence, and about 1.5 hours between Florence and Rome. These are the fastest routes. http://www.trenitalia.it
May 14th, 2005, 04:16 PM
rex

<<Some will disagree that Venice is "too special" to stay in when you first arrive, feeling jet lagged etc. >>

I am one of those that apply that argument - - it chiefly fits the "average (too quick, here'n'there) American itinerary which might arrive in Venice on a Saturday morning, and plan to move onward on Monday morning.

For an extended stay (for those who can afford that much time in Venice), I would agree that the quiet which is inherently part of la Serenissima would make for a great "ease-in-to" Italy.

Best wishes,

Rex

Search this Thread