Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome Two Bedroom Apartment (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-two-bedroom-apartment-765215/)

galelstorm Feb 2nd, 2009 02:51 PM

Rome Two Bedroom Apartment

Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice two bedroom apartment in Rome? We are two couples in our 50's and would like something in a good location that is not too pricey.

Apres_Londee Feb 2nd, 2009 03:29 PM

Hi galelstorm,

One agency I can recommend is realrome.com

Tim Pearson is the manager and he is wonderful to work with. These aren't luxury apartments, but clean and decent and well priced.

You might want to tell us what your budget is, as that helps people in making recommendations for specific places.

Good luck in your search!

lowcountrycarol Feb 2nd, 2009 04:45 PM

Look at www.sleepinitaly.com for 2 bedroom apartments. They are a very reliable company with nice apartments. If you need 2 bathrooms it will cut down on your rental possibilities as those apartments are more rare.

Leely2 Feb 2nd, 2009 05:39 PM

Without knowing your budget, I'll just mention that we stayed here this past New Year's:

http://www.rentalinrome.com/bramante/bramante.htm

I reviewed it in my (still in progress) trip report--about 6 or 7 posts down:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35177042

I have also rented from realrome and they were terrific too. Rome is wonderful!

galelstorm Feb 3rd, 2009 10:52 AM

Apres_Londee-It seems that every place we are staying I can't seem to get anything for under $150-175 per couple. So I guess that is where we would like to stay, but we'd definitely entertain a lesser price. ;) I will take a look at the sight you recommended and thank you for your tip.
lowcountry carol-I had looked once before but now must get serious on booking. Thank you for reminding me of this site. They did have some lovely apartments.
Leely2-Great trip report. The apartment doesn't look bad at all, just kind of funky. Do you remember what the rates were? We are also flying from SFO.

nukesafe Feb 3rd, 2009 11:09 AM

I think you will find it difficult to get the nice kind of true two bedroom apartment in Rome for the kind of bucks you are talking about. Many places say they will sleep four people, but two of them are on a pull out couch in the living room.

Your budget translates to around €115 to €134 per night. Where are you going to find a two bedroom apartment in a major city in the States for that kind of money? Why would you expect Rome to be much cheaper than San Francisco?

Best of luck, and have a great trip.

:-)

Matroskin Feb 3rd, 2009 11:46 AM

We've just booked Pantheon View Bed and Breakfast for our trip in May through Venere.com. We booked a suite, which is 2 bedroom (one double, one twin - 2 single beds).

I read the reviews on tripadviser and lots of people were happy about the location/price/rooms ratio.

It does come out 180 Euro a night though, but if you use a discount code like I did 9NY5XA4, you can save 4% out of total price.

I'll report back when we come back about the B&B.

travelfan1 Feb 3rd, 2009 12:45 PM

Highly recommended on http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/list.asp?r=Rome:
http://www.dolceroma.it/index.htm

I'm also researching two bedroom apartments and I like getting hearing first hand experience. If noise is a concern (it is for me) make sure you find out exactly where it is and the same for what floor it's on if you have a problem with steps.

I too recommend looking at sleepinitaly and you can also try:
http://www.domusintl.com

Good luck in your search and have a wonderful time in Rome.

sanschag Feb 3rd, 2009 12:54 PM

From my Italy report (Nov 2007):

Our apartment was the Green Apartment at Residenza Giubbonari (http://www.residenzagiubbonari.com/home.html). (€208/nt + metered electricity which turned out to be €20 for the week) It was very nice and having two bedrooms and two baths along with a washer and a dryer was great. The only problem we had was an issue with hot water, but we solved that by the end of the week. The location was ideal, being only a few minutes down the street from Campo di Fiori. There was a great bar/pastry shop just down the street and a grocery store right around the corner. From there, we could walk almost everywhere (and did aside from when it was raining). Even if we hadn't, it was less than 5 minutes from the Torre Argentina transportation hub.

Paul

travelfan1 Feb 3rd, 2009 01:02 PM

Paul - I'm going to ask for myself and galelstorm. I've looked at those apartments myself and they look nice...until I read several reviews that commented on the noise. This was a quote from a review on the yellow apartment..which is on the top level. "The downside of being so central is the noise of scooters, sirens and bar-goers which was almost constant and very noticeable in the street side apartments at night (quiet between 2am and 6am!) - we felt it was well worth this to be in the centre of things !"

What's your take on the noise level?

galelstorm Feb 3rd, 2009 04:21 PM

Matroskin-I checked it out and it looks nice. Where did you find the discount code? Do you know anything about the Pantheon area of Rome? Thanks for your input and I can't wait to read about your trip! Buon Viaggio!
travelfan1-I have yet to check out your links but plan to after this post. When are you going? We are six months out but I want to rest assured that I have bookings when I go. I too, like hearing first hand information from people that have stayed there which is what prompted this post. I would like to be central but in a quaint setting with maybe a patio or veranda. I figure we'll be going all day long and will want some respite.
Sanchag-I'm going to hunt down your trip report. Thanks for the recommendation and the price is certainly doable.

Leely2 Feb 3rd, 2009 05:21 PM

Our price was over 250 Euros/night because there is a surcharge for Christmas/New Year's--and probably Easter too but I'm not certain.

Other two-bedroom apartments from I considered from rentalinrome.com were the Sforza Cesarini and the Monserrato; both I had seen recommended by posters on this board, both less expensive than the Bramante.

Check the listings on romepower and sleepinitaly as well. I had a hard time in part because I was leaning towards two bathrooms for our group.

galelstorm Feb 5th, 2009 02:26 PM

Apres-I checked realrome and have some inquiries in now-thanks!
travelfan1-the domusintnl and dolceroma sites are new to me and I also have requests for info on these sites-thanks!
Leely2-same for rentalinrome!
I will let you know which one we book after our dinner/meeting this Saturday.

susanboston Feb 5th, 2009 03:40 PM

I hightly recommend sleepinitaly.com ... I have rented from them for 3 trips now and never had a problem... I have reserved with them for apartments in Rome, Florence and Venice for this April and the service has been outstanding, as usual. Their prices are very competitive and they have a nice selection of apartments in my favorite area to stay in Rome... Campo dei Fiori...Have a great time!

excited_confused Feb 5th, 2009 03:57 PM

Hi galestorm, I hope you don't mind me tagging on to your post, hopefully this may help you too. Have you looked at Paradiso big - http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_paradisobig.html ? It has 2 bedrooms & 2 bathrooms & was 190 euros per night which would fit in your budget.
We are also looking for a 2 bedroom apt in Rome in June, in the range of 250-275 euros per night. I was thinking of the Monte di Pieta apt but would really like something larger & a little more luxurious, preferably in the Piazza Navona area. I really like this one - http://www.rentalinrome.com/tormilli...inaterrace.htm but I have not heard back from Rental In Rome though it's been several days & it seems a little out of our budget. Any opinions of the apt?
Does anyone have any other suggestions/apts they have stayed in? Thanks.

galelstorm Feb 5th, 2009 04:17 PM

susan - yes, I have requests on their website as well. We are looking at the Trastevere/Piazza Navona area. I'm glad so many people have had dependable reservations with sleep in italy.
excited_confused - I feel like your screen name! Of course I don't mind you getting in on the postm teh more information we can share the better. The Paradiso apartment looks great for us and I will send an inquiry on availability tonight. Thank you so much!
The tormillina terrace apt. is beautiful and high end, very luxurious. I just figured we would just need something comfortable since we'll likely be on the go morning and night. Just a place to take a nap in the afternoon and lay our heads on the pillows at night. Are you four people or more? It does seem large, kind of like a whole house, but the location is terrific.

susanboston Feb 6th, 2009 06:56 AM

It sounds like you are looking in the right area, though watch the maps closely to make sure you are not too far out there with the Trastevere apartments... some of them are further away, but I have found that sleepinitaly's "stones throw" is pretty accurate... Also, I have stayed in the building housing Monte Di Pieta, and I thought that apartment was well over priced.... what about staying near to the Vatican but very close to Navona rather than way up in the Prati area? I know that sleepinitaly has those amazing interactive maps which really show you where things actually are!

travelfan1 Feb 6th, 2009 08:14 AM

Galelstorm - I have Paradiso Big on my list of possibilities...whatever you decide please report back after your trip and give feedback on the apartment. We have much in common - 2 couples, same age and I just need a quiet place to rest my head...nothing fancy!

Good luck in your search.

sanschag Feb 6th, 2009 08:22 AM

To galelstorm and travelfan1

>>> What's your take on the noise level? [Re Residenza Giubbonari]

We had absolutely no issues with noise, even my wife who is a light sleeper had no problems. We did hear a Hari Krishna procession at one point. :) The street right outside is a pedestrian street, so cars are limited. In the apartment we had, the living room faced the street while the bedrooms were in back. We were there in Nov, so didn't keep the windows open. Also, the Green apartment is on the 4th floor, so it would be above a lot of the noise. This might be more of an issue with the lower apartments.

Paul

Matroskin Feb 6th, 2009 08:55 AM

To galelstorm:
I found this discount code 9NY5XA4 simply by googling "venere coupon". It worked. Gave me 4% discount. We choose B&B this time because of convinience of breakfast (less headache); since we will be 4 days in Venice before that staying in appartement, it would be nice not to think about food in the morning.

Pantheon area works for us -- walking distance pretty much everywhere! It is not comletely quiet but it is OK for us. Plus, many little cafes and shops are right around the corner. We feel safe to let our 14 years old wonder alone.

Last time we stayed near train station and did not like the location that much.