Rome, Tuscany, & Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Italy for first time in October, 2004. We will be there for 8 days. Is it possible to visit Rome, Tuscany, and Amalfi over those 8 days? I know that is a lot of territory to cover, but we'd like to see as much as possible. We were thinking 2 days in AC, 2 days in Rome, and 4 days in Tuscany. Is this possible? worthwhile? What order makes the most sense?
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 05:55 PM

I think this is way too much to do in eight days. Between jetlag and travel distances, you'd be seriously shortchanging each of these destinations. Just to give you an idea, Rome- Amalfi Coast is about 2 and a half hours depending on traffic, Tuscany is about the same.

Why not limit yourself to Rome and Tuscany or Rome and the Amalfi Coast? Hopefully, this won't be your only trip to Italy, and you'll probably enjoy it a lot more if you have time to savor and explore each destination.

Have a great time!
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 07:25 PM

I 2nd the above...don't cut Rome short. Those who do seem to dislike it; those who don't seem to love it.

We have paired Rome with Amalfi Coast on one trip and Tuscany on another. Our first trip to Italy was the standard 1st timer tour of Rome, Florence, and Venice, for which I recommend 3-4 days Rome, 2 days Florence, 2-3 days Venice.

Have a great trip,
j.
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 07:20 AM
ira

Hi mg,

You could easily spend 8 days in any of the 3.

I suggest the following.

4 days Rome with a day trip to Orvieto, 4 days Florence with daytrips to Lucca (and Pisa) and Siena.

4 days Rome as above
4 days on the AC (early October is very nice weather)

4 days in Florence as above
4 days in Venice

3 days in Florence and
5 days driving through Tuscany

Have a lovely trip.

Old Nov 8th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the input. We're going to eliminate the AC as a destination for this trip. We're leaning towards 3 days in Rome and 5 days in Tuscany. We haven't decided if we will stay in one spot while in Tuscany or if we will split our time, i.e. 3 days around Montalcino/Montepulciano area & 2 days around Volterra/San G.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 04:22 AM

I think that is a good choice. We recently returned from a trip to Rome, the Amalfi Coast, and Tuscany. We stayed 15 nights and could have stayed longer. While the Amalfi Coast is beautiful, it was pretty cold 3 of the 4 days we were there in early October. We would have enjoyed it more if it was a bit warmer. If you are looking for a place to stay in Tuscany, I would very highly recommend Palazzo del Capitano in San Quirico d'Orcia. We absolutely loved everything about the hotel, include the restuarant. We stayed here 5 nights and easily drove to several hill towns from the hotel. I would stay in one location for the 5 nights and take day trips from there.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the hotel recommendation on Palazzo del Capitano. We found their web site and the hotel looks great. The room prices also seemed very reasonable. Looks like a good base to visit Pienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano, & Siena.

Is it possible for a day trip to Florence area from San Quirico d'Orcia? It looks pretty far on the map.

I'd love to hear some more about your day trips while in Tuscany.