Search

paris advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paris advice

I am planning our 20th wedding anniversary trip (no kids ) and need some advice. I can't figure out which area to stay in. We understand that we can get to all of the museums (a priorty)and sites by walking or metro. We would like to be in an area with many good resturants and cafes but don't need "night-life". I don't care about shopping and we hate touristy stuff.

I am considering the Latin Quarter and the 4th (Marais). Our price range is in the moderate zone - 3 stars or so. One hotel that looked good was the Hotel Castex - anybody been there?

Also, we love food and wine - what good resturants do you know of?

Thanks!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 05:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't stayed at the Castex so can't help you there. But I would also choose either the Marais or Latin Quarter, or maybe right on Ile st Louis. What is your budget?
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 06:51 PM

The Castex has been around quite a while, and renovated a couple (or few) years ago. It's a good location, walkable to the lovely Place des Vosges, and near the Sunday market at Bastille. Excellent metro connections at Bastille, as well. I presume you read the reviews at Tripadvisor.com...

You can always find restaurant suggestions by searching the forum... type "restaurant" and select "France" in the drop down... or type "Paris restaurant"...
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 06:53 PM

We rented an apartment through Paris Perfect for our 20th. We figured that the cost was more than offset by eating some of our meals in. Their apartments are all in the 7th - near the rue Cler shopping street, close to many metros and street markets, quiet at night.

Try l'Epi Dupan (sp?) and Willi's Wine Bar for fun dinners.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 07:25 PM

I just got back from Paris last night. I used a suggestion from someone here and stayed at the Hotel Bonaparte near St Sulspice. It was a great area. Tons of shopping, cafes nearby and very central to everything I wanted to do.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 07:39 PM

I would recommend the Hotel Saint Jacques in the Latin Quarter. Great location. Great hotel. Rates not bad.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 08:08 PM

Bretonerie...three blocks from the Hotel de Ville (great food nearby on rue de Rosiers)......the Brittania near the Chatalet(great bakeries and Belgium restaurants....right by the river....Want to stay at Henri 4th Rive Gauche or an apartment next time.
The 6th is nice but a bit spread out..IMO
I like to be able to be able walk the Iles and the lower 5th and 6th and the 4th when I go and three blocks from the river at most...the 5th has a hill you know and it's huffing and puffing up it at the end of the day...I can't tell you how important the metro lines and RER are to the enjoyment your stay as well!!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - great advice so far. Our budget would be up to 130 Euro.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 04:49 AM

We have stayed at the Castex on a couple of occasions, the first in either 2005 or 2006, the second in 2007. As Travelnut mentioned, it was completely renovated just before our first visit, so the bathrooms in particular seemed new. The rooms were clean and small, the front desk staff helpful calling taxis.

On our first stay, we had a room overlooking the street; on the second, it was on what I think was the back. Neither offered a memorable view, but I preferred the front. (Well, there was that garbage truck creeping up the street just before 7 each morning. I can sleep through traffic noise; it was the sound of cascading bottles that woke me up.) All in all, I'd say good value for the cost.

I quite like that neighbourhood. You can walk down boulevard Henri IV to Pont Sully and Ile St-Louis; the Marais and the enchanting Place des Vosges are just to the west; the trendy 11th and some interesting restaurants are just to the east, and you have good Metro connections at Bastille.

Anselm
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 05:42 AM

My favorite area to base in Paris is Ile St Louis or Ile de la Cite. It is very central, access to the Metro stations, restuarants, shopping is excellent...and you are only a bridge away from the Left/Right Banks, Notre Damre, Sainte Chappelle, the Conciergerie, the Law Courts and the Louvre are within walking distance. The islands make for great walking, it's quiet at night. I would recommend three hotels on the Ile St Louis which would probably be within your budget...the St Louis...more "old Paris", rooms/baths are small or Lutuce or Duex Iles...both a little more upscale. All have very small public rooms but it's all about location. The is no hotel on Ile de la Cite but a great option is renting an apartment...you can have breakfast and snacks in house which can save some money. VRBO is a great website to use for rentals. Hopes this helps with some decidsions!
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 05:52 AM
ira

Hi J,

Glad you liked the Bonaparte.

Old Mar 13th, 2008, 06:01 AM
ira

Hi K,

I googled the Castex.

Who suggested that they use black text on a gray background?

Other than that, it looks very nice.

You did note that bkfst is 10E pp?

Have you looked them up at www.tripadvisor.com?

We always stay at www.hotelbonaparte.fr/accueil.htm

Old Mar 13th, 2008, 08:45 AM

The Brttanique's top floor has a lovely view of Hotel de Ville,the Theatre,roof tops and the top of the Eiffel as well as the tree lined street below...I always prefer the top floors for the view but I have tried locating an apartment and it seems they either face the courtyard or a very noisy street, are on the first floor or have no elevator....
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Hi Kate -

Another vote for the St. Jacques. Great location, beautiful public area, nice big room, and very friendly staff. And a bargain.