Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome to Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-to-venice-955233/)

Pooja0783 Oct 31st, 2012 07:19 AM

Rome to Venice

Hello Everyone ,

I have planned trip in late decemeber to venice & rome .
From venice I will go to rome and returned back
My query is that Up to what time I can come venice at night.
Is it safe to reach venezia s.lucia station late at 11:30 PM
or should i take train a bit early from rome .

Jean Oct 31st, 2012 07:36 AM

Venice is safe, but how were you planning to get to your hotel?

Pooja0783 Oct 31st, 2012 08:19 AM

Actually I have not booked hotel till now but planing to take as near as possible so that by walking we can go .

nytraveler Oct 31st, 2012 09:23 AM

Are you saying that you want to go to Rome and back to Venice in one day?

Frankly - this makes no sense whatsoever. the train trip is almost 4 hours each way - so you would be sitting on a train for 8 hours to have just one afternoon in Rome.

If you are visiting Rome for several days I woud just take an earlier train back to Venice.

Jean Oct 31st, 2012 10:00 AM

nyt, I think you interpreted correctly. I didn't catch this on first reading...

Pooja0783, a day trip to Rome from Venice is not a good use of your time in Italy. The earliest you can arrive in Rome from Venice is 1:00 p.m., and the last train back to Venice leaves just before 8:00 p.m. You'll spend more time on the train than you will seeing a few sights in Rome.

Why not take a day trip to Verona instead?

ira Oct 31st, 2012 10:50 AM

Hi Poo,

I don't think that walking in Venice around midnight will be unsafe, but it might depend upon the location of your hotel. Where are you thinking of staying?

You can take the 06:13 from Venezia San Lucia and arrive in Rome at 09:29.
The 19:45 will get you back to Venice at 23:33, or you can stay up all night and take the 22:35 from Rome arriving at 05:26.

You can also take the 22:35 from Rome TE to Trieste Centrale, arriving at 07:28. This will allow you to sleep on the train. You can then take a later train to Venice. Cost for Rome --> Trieste--> Venice about 65 Euro.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

Jean Oct 31st, 2012 11:26 AM

That 06:13 train from Venice to Rome does not operate every day in late December, so plan accordingly.

Pooja0783 Nov 5th, 2012 01:13 PM

Thankss to all of you .
This information will help me to plan well .

caroline_edinburgh Nov 7th, 2012 10:00 AM

I live in Venice and there is nowhere I wouldn't be happy, as a woman, walking on my own at any time of night. The night vaporetti run all night but not that frequent, so you may want to check the timetables at actv.it to fit in with any late train you may get.

I agree with others that a day trip from Venice to Rome is mad; but if that's what you want to do, it's your choice.

As well as the normal Trenitalia service, also look at the new Italo comapny - italotreno.it.