Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome to Tuscany - renting a car but where should I pick it up?

Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling to Italy with my husband and 3 teenage daughters for 2 weeks in July. We arrive in Rome and plan on renting a car when we leave Rome for 3 days in and around Montepulciano. We will drop the car in Florence and use trains for the rest of the trip. Fodorites have advised to avoid renting a car in Rome at all costs. Where should we pick up the car? Rome Airport? Or take a train from Rome to Orvieto or Chuisi and pick up the car there? Also I'm concerned about fitting 5 of us plus luggage in a rental car (strict instructions to pack light but I did say 3 teenage girls!). Will we fit? Appreciate any suggestions regarding pick up and drop off ; feasibility of 5 plus luggage in one car as well as preferred rental companies.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 12:32 PM

Chiusi seems to be a favorite for picking up cars - small enough town just a few kms from Montepulciano - consider renting a mini van

Orvieto is a real gem so maybe start there - before Chiusi
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 12:41 PM

You might have to rent a mini-van. You can rent a mid-size car which is about the size of a Taurus, but the luggage might be the problem. If you go to autoeurope.com you can see the size cars and vans that they have. We fit 4 adults more than comfortably in a midsize, but teenagers could be a different story. We all had very little luggage. I know what you mean about what they think is light packing and what we think it is.

If you don't plan to start from the airport, I would suggest either Orvieto or Chuisi. It's usually more expensive if you rent from the airport. They charge more fees. In Orvieto the car rental is at the train station. We rented from Roma Termini once but it was rush hour and not a good idea.

The drop off in Florence is easy. It's near the train station in the southeastern part of the city.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 12:47 PM

With 5 you may need the mini-van which will likely be a manual shift. Either pick up location is good for you--take your pick. Here are some tips thta may help:

DRIVING IN ITALY & SOUTHERN EUROPE

Q. SHOULD WE DRIVE IN ITALY?
A. Of course you should if your driving skill & confidence would allow you to drive a rental car in Vermont, Colorado or California. But, be advised of these tips:
* Avoid driving in the major cities except for picking up or dropping cars
* Have good maps—study them in advance—and have a GOOD NAVIGATOR.
* Stay in the right lane except when passing and use your rear view mirrors

Q. WHAT CAR SHOULD I GET AND WHERE DO I GET IT?
A. It is best to rent your car before you leave for Europe. The best source we have found is www.autoeurope.com [800-223-5555] who is a broker for several car vendors. They will quote you prices to include the variables that are often omitted by others, such as unlimited mileage, mandatory insurance coverage with some deductibles, and VAT taxes. It is wise to compare prices and coverage with their sister company at www.kemwel.com. Autoeurope will match any comparable quote, and are famous for their customer satisfaction if problems do arise with the vendor. The best model will depend on your needs, but for best value we suggest you select a compact car with manual transmission. Automatics are available but will cost you about 30% more and may limit your model options & pick up locations.

Q. ARE ITALIAN DRIVERS AS CRAZY AS I HAVE HEARD?
A. Yes & no! They are certainly aggressive, but they are also more skilled than many USA drivers—both are a function of necessity. Italy is one of the most crowded countries in the world and the drivers have evolved these characteristics
* They are notorious tailgaters. If that bothers you, pull over and let them past.
* On the AUTOSTRADE they will drive fast, but will stay in the right lane except when passing and will use their blinkers when passing—YOU SHOULD TOO !
* They will often pass on 2-lane roads with traffic coming. Frankly, they expect you, and the oncoming car, to adjust to the shoulder and make 3 lanes of traffic.

OTHER ROAD TIPS FOR YOUR DRIVING SANITY:
1. Learn the meaning of the sign “ SENSO UNICO” and take heed [ONE WAY ].
2. Be sure to get your ticket when you enter the AUTOSTADA system & be prepared to pay the toll when you exit it [ rule of thumb—300 km=15 Euro]. You can use your credit card in the VIA lane at the toll both, or buy a debit VIACARD in advance.
3. Do NOT attempt to follow road numbers—that will frustrate you. But, do pay attention to the directional signs that point to your destination [ TO MONTALCINO]. And, be aware if that road leads eventually to a larger city [ ROMA—SIENA ETC.]
4. Unless you have a diesel car, you will want to fill the tank with benzina from the green pump. Most stations will pump gas for you and will take credit cards.

NOTE: As of 2005, an International Drivers Permit[IDP] is required in Italy.
You can obtain them from your local AAA office. You will need a valid US driver’s license, two passport photos, and $15. The photos can be taken at the AAA office.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 01:48 PM

Orvieto is a popular choice for pick up and an easy train trip from Rome.

Last time we were in Italy, we had a Ford Focus wagon. We managed to squeeze 5 adults and luggage into the car. We each had only one carry on size bag and there were a couple of messenger bags as well total. the luggage fit without being piled high enough to block the rear hatch window.

To be honest the folks in the back seat had a snug fit ;-) but the doors did shut.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 01:48 PM

You could also pickup the car/mini-van at the north end of Rome and save the train fare to Chiusi. Autoeurope.com has a great pickup place at Via Ludovisi 38 (near the Villa Borghese) that is very close to the Autostrada out of Rome. You can drop off the car either in Florence (very brave), or just outside the city at one of the railway stations.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 01:53 PM

As usual great info from Bob.
Thanks
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 02:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We picked our rental car up near Villa Borghese in Rome and getting out of the city wasn't difficult. However, returning the car in Florence was an ordeal. Leaving Florence with another rental car was easy.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

thanks all - so Villa Borghese pick up is manageable - that's good to know. That way we can drive to Orvieto en route to Montepulciano and skip the train schlep to the car rental. But, oh no, dropping off in Florence is a hassle - I must have missed that. Any suggestions for avoiding that headache.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:20 PM

Drop off at Florence airport and bus to the center.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:21 PM

<<But, oh no, dropping off in Florence is a hassle - I must have missed that. Any suggestions for avoiding that headache.>>

Drop the car at the Florence airport and take a taxi to your hotel (15 minutes). It's very easy to do and there is no airport drop off fee. There are taxi vans available at the airport.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:42 PM

I "third" the idea--drop off your car at the airport in Florence. Besides a taxi, there are shuttle buses to the city center, train station, which are convenient and cheap. Easy to access on the autostrada and you completely avoid the ZTL zones which cause all the hassle in Florence.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:46 PM

Last fall we dropped off our car in Orvieto. We rented through autoeurope, but picked up the car from hertz. the hertz office is about a 100 metres or less from the train station. Leaving the station, turn left, walk to the intersection and cross the street and you are there. Easy freeway access. Why deal with the traffic around Rome when Orvieto is so easy to get to from Rome. I found it very confusing trying to figure out the car rental location in Chiusi.
It was about an hour drive from Montepulciano to Orvieto.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:53 PM

A european "mini-van" does not have the same storage room as a U.S. minivan (very little, in fact). Here, on the Avis site, you can see a distinction made among mini, full, and premium sized vans:

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/conte...S00&country=IT

To get all your stuff to fit, you want a "full" sized van. Whatever company you use, look at their fleet description on their website, and believe the number it shows for the amount of luggage a vehicle can hold.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 06:42 PM

My wife and I are planning a similar trip in October: fly to Rome, train to Florence and then drive to Montepulciano. I will be interested in all your experiences, please!
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 08:05 AM

"We rented through autoeurope, but picked up the car from hertz" AutoEurope is a consolidator. You may get a car from Hertz, Avis, Europe Car, et. AutoEurope has special contracts with these companies. You get a low mileage car, in Italy your insurance is included (I think you can also get extra) and you deal with a company in the US. Otherwise with Hertz and Avis you have to deal with the European version of the company.

We have always found it very easy to get to the drop off in Florence. We're very used to driving in Italy, though. If you're unsure, then go to the airport. It's a short taxi ride. It's 4 Km or about 15 minutes. They also have a bus but it takes 20 minutes and leaves you off at the station.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Racer042 - I got a wealth of info from Fodorite trip reports (restaurant/hotel suggestions; site seeing tips; logistical issues). I would love to return the favor and submit one when we return but if it helps here's what we've booked to date.

Rome - Staying at the Senato near the Pantheon for 3 days (not nearly enough but someone so wisely advised that there's never enough time and almost all US connections can begin or end in Rome so there's always next time. Booked the Vatican Scavi Tour and making Borghese reservations shortly.

Montepulciano - Staying at Villa Cicolina (outside of town)for 3 days. A wine tour; monks/abbey at Sant'Antimo; and Siena on our 'must do' list...welcome any suggestions for other 'must do's'...we'd love to go to Assisi but not sure we have enough time to do it.

Florence - Hotel Hermitage for 3 days (across the Arno at Ponte Vecchio). Planning on taking Fodorites advice as respects museum reservations. Shopping and gelato will be a big hit with our kids.

Cinque Terre - 3 days at La Mala in Vernazza. We were hoping to stop in Lucca for 1/2 a day in route but not sure if the train system will make that convenient - tbd. Hiking and pesto and generally kicking back.

Train to Milan for an overnight stay and then flying back home.

Planning this has been so much fun and still a work in progress so thanks in advance for more advice. We're all looking forward to a fabulous food experience. I love to cook, as do my husband and girls so lots of anticipation for authentic Italian dishes. My girls are seasoned travelers and up for the whirlwind. Hopefully we haven't packed too much into our schedule to prevent us from appreciating each of our destinations.