Rome to Sorrento to Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Rome for a couple of days, and then I would like to see Napoli, Vesuvio, and Pompeii, and then to Sorrento all in one day. I plan on staying in Sorrento for two nights, taking side trips to the AMalfi Coast and Capri, then on the Venice for an overnight train. Now the questions I have are:

1. How would I go about by going from Rome to Sorrento and see all the sights in between and stopping for lunch in Napoli?

2. Should I leave Sorrento and go to Salerno to catch the train from Salerno to Venice (carrying my suit case) or should I put my suit case in storage in Sorrento.....sight see along the Amalfi Coast, back track to Sorrento, then go to Venice?

3. How could I get to Venice from Sorrento?

Any comments would be helpful.
Thank you!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 08:26 AM

That's certainly a lot to see in one day. You would have to get a fast train to Naples from Rome very early. Perhaps the 7:25. Get to Naples 8:50 or so,(too early for lunch) run and catch the 9:00 circumvesuviana train to Pompeii. Get off, get the 10:00 bus to il Vesuvio. Get the 12:55 bus from Vesuvio back to Pompeii arrive about 2pm, spend about 4 hours or so in Pompeii and catch an evening (6pm maybe) circumvesuvian train to Sorrento. I'm exhausted!!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 09:40 AM

You can do any of any 3 of the following in one day, but not all four
* See (a bit of) Naples
* Lunch in Naples
* Vesuvius
* Pompeii

Decide which is least important to you and skip it. I'd skip Vesuvius and organize your day as follows:

7:25 ES* to Napoli (arrives ~9:00)
Check luggage in Napoli.
Take Metro to Piazza Cavour and visit the Museo Archeologico. This is a must see IMO to anyone heading to Pompeii.

Walk the Spaccanapoli back to train station. Grab an early lunch near the station (even casual pizzarias generally do not serve before 11:30).

Pick up luggage, catch the 12:39 Circumvesuviana to Pompei Scavi (arrives 13:17). There is a free (at least when I was there) baggage check at Pompeii (the archeological site, not the train stop which is Pompei Scavi). Allow at least 3 hrs. for Pompeii. I believe it closes around 20:00, at least in summer.

Catch the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento from the same stop. I've done this, except after a night train from Venice to Naples. It's a busy day, but fun.

If you skip lunch in Naples and want to hike Vesuvius instead, follow the same route, except get of the Train at Ercolano (Herculanium). From there you can catch a bus (45 min., infrequent) to the trail to the crater, but I am not sure if there is a baggage check at Ercolano. Allow at least 1.5 hrs. up and back and for lingering. Catch the bus back to Ercolano. From there you would take the train to Pompei Scavi as above. If you are lucky and catch quick connections, you should have enough time to see decent amount of Pompeii, though one could easily spend an entire day here. If you try to fit in lunch and stops at both Vesuvius, you run the risk of running out of time before getting to Pompeii, which would be the one place I wouldn't want to miss.

On the day you are heading to Venice, leave your luggage in Sorrento. Take the bus along the Amalfi coast to Positano and spend the day. Return to Sorrento via hydrofoil and pick up your bags. Grab the Circumvesuviana back to Naples. Catch the overnight to Venice from Naples. Note that it gets into Venice at 5:24.

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Way to much to do in one day. Seeing anything in Pompeii is like 4 hours - to see a lot is most of the day. Vesuvio - several hours. Naples - to see anything - most of the day. You really can't do all this unless you start at like 5am and RUN the whole day.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 09:55 AM
ira

Hi J,

>I would like to see Napoli, Vesuvio, and Pompeii, and then to Sorrento all in one day.<

You're nuts.

Ok, that's what you want to do.

Take train from Rome TE to Naples.
See www.trenitalia.com

Leave luggage at "left luggage office".

Take No. 1 tram to Piazza Municipio.

Walk to waterfront.

Look at Mt. Vesuvius.

Cross Mt Vesuvius off list.

Return to train station, get luggage, take Circumvesuviana train to Pompei Scavi.

Cross Naples off list.

Leave luggage at entrance.

Buy guidebook.

Look around.

Get luggage, take Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento.

Cross Pompeii off list.

Take ferry from Sorrento to Amalfi for the views from the water. Take SITA bus back to Sorrento.

Cross Amalfi Coast off list.

Next day, take ferry from Sorrento to Capri.

Cross Capri off list.

Take Circumvesuviana to Naples and night train to Venice.

It would be easier if you flew into Naples and out of Venice; seeing Rome in the middle.

Let us know how your trip worked out.

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:18 AM

If I had to pick, fly 1 hr Naples to Venice or take an overnight train. I would fly, even if I had a free train ticket.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks alot ripit, this looks like the itinerary I will follow. Thanks for the tip on the hydrofoil!!! How is the crater of Vesuvious? Which would be better to see.....crater of Vesuvio or Pompeii? I might just skip Napoli for the day....considering I will return to Napoli to catch a train...probably a 4:00am train to Venice.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:45 PM

If I had to pick one it would be Pompeii. Difficult choice because I really enjoy hiking, geology and anthropology. The geography at Vesuvius is very interesting, and the views over the city and gulf of Naples are amazing. However there are many mountains/volcanos with great views in the world, but there is only one Pompeii.

That said, I really would try to get to the Archeological Museum in Naples if you are going to Pompeii. Many of the artifacts that were found at Pompeii are on display in the museum. Seeing both really gives you a good glimpse into what life was like in 79 AD.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Just don't plan to see the museum on a Tuesday. It's closed unlike most museums that close on Monday.