Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy in Feb what to expect single female(33) travelling.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI

Just wanted to see what people's opinions on travelling in February to europe. I am 33 yrs old and single looking to travel specificly to italy but would love to see more of europe. I am looking for temperatures, costs and what attractions may be closed. I do want to see alot of the attractions but will want some down time as well. I want to go for 4-5 weeks and have 6000k (CDN) to spend (i have flight paid for seperately). Is this realistic? Any feedback? Or should I just do the typical south pacific trip and skip europe because its too cold to enjoy at that time of year??
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 05:30 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Italy is a big country. What area did you plan to visit?
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 05:52 AM
ira

Hi bam,

You have 4700 Euro, about 1050E/wk.

Bkfst will be from 3 -10E
Lunch about 10E
Dinner 20 - or more ...... Figure 250E/week

You will have to be careful about your hotel bill.

>Or should I just do the typical south pacific trip ....<

I'd rather be in Florence, Venice, Naples and Rome when it's cold than just vegetating on a beach.

I suggest flying into Venice and out of Naples.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Nov 10th, 2012, 06:01 AM

I would go to Europe - but then I don;t care if I never see another beach. Europe will be cold to chilly - but definitely warmer than Canada.

If you stick to cities there will be tons of things to see/do - although some places (esp in Italy) will be operating on off-season hours (9 am to 1 or 2 pm).

If you want warmth or beaches you won't find them here. If you want cities, culture, museums, castles, shopping, etc - you will have a great time. Just dress in layers so you are ready for (comparatively) colder versus milder. (Rome may be 55 - but snow is also possible.)
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 06:54 AM

I did travel alone in Italy in my single days, but only in warm weather. I think another consideration apart from the weather is the relative shortness of the days: I'd find the long dark evenings on my own a bit depressing and well, long. Whereas I was quite happy in the summer to sit out on a hotel/bar terrace with a drink and a book (and sometimes got talking to people there).
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 07:24 AM

Carnevale (or Mardi Gras) is a big celebration in Venice. Its dates in 2013 are 2 February to 12 February. Others will able to tell about which Carnevale activities you, as a single, might enjoy. But if you're going to be in Venice during this time, you need to reserve a hotel right now.

Other cities in Italy celebrate Carnevale but not to the extent that Venice does.

You might consider some time in Sicily. A liitle warmer there and the spring flowers start blooming in February. There's lots to see in Sicily.

Which brings me to this: what kinds of things to you want to see in Europe? What are you interested in? Obviously beach time is precluded in February and most of the countryside is pretty drab.
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 02:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You do need to say in the south to stay warm. I always recommend Marakesh if you want warmth but if you are slightly concerned about traveling alone you might find this city (despite its very open and friendly nature) a little too close.

Staying in Europe the choices to stay warm as others have said are Sicily, Naples, Brindisi etc. Northern Italy will be chilly but the city scapes are worth seeing even in the chill.

For temp and rain I'd check towns in Wiki they normally have good climate details