Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome to Positano to Chiusi/Pienza (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-to-positano-to-chiusi-pienza-1040913/)

3Xmom Mar 22nd, 2015 11:52 AM

Rome to Positano to Chiusi/Pienza

We'll be leaving Rome (early as we need to) on a Thursday morning and heading up to Positano for 3 nights. The morning we leave Positano, it will be a Sunday and we need to get up to Chiusi to rent a car to drive up to an Agriturismo farm near Pienza where we will be staying for a few days. While in Positano, or on the way there or back, we'd like to see the Pompeii ruins and Capri. My question is:can it be done and any suggestions how? I have looked at train, bus and ferry or boat routes and am willing to do any of them. Thanks!

dreamon Mar 22nd, 2015 12:29 PM

I have not done this journey but have looked into it for our own planning purposes. It is a lengthy journey. All the timetables for the journey are available online - just google search. We have found that to get to Chiusi from Positano you have a choice of:

- ferry Positano to Salerno then train to Chiusi with changes in Naples and Rome, or
- bus Positano to Sorrento then train to Chiusi with changes in Naples and Rome.

Timetables at www.trenitalia.com (look for a sample Sunday not too far in the future). Timetables for Sorrento to Naples are a different service provider but again timetables available online and they run approximately every half an hour. I think you'd be best to go via Sorrento if you want to visit Pompeii but would be surprised if you have time, especially if you have to be at Chiusi in business hours on a Sunday.

For Capri, I believe that there are ferries from Positano but that they are seasonal. Also ferries from Sorrento and Naples.

bobthenavigator Mar 22nd, 2015 01:52 PM

The car rentals will not be open on Sunday other than airports or some major train stations.

tuscanlifeedit Mar 22nd, 2015 05:17 PM

You could possibly get a driver to take you from Positano to Pompeii then to Naples to rent a car (airport; train station location probably also open on Sunday) and then drive to your digs near Pienza.

I think you should see Pompeii on your way to Positano. Positano to Pienza is a day's journey no matter how you look at it. Getting in and out of Positano is time consuming, by car, boat or bus.

But again, there may be no hours on Sunday at Chiusi car rental, and if there are, they will be limited.

3Xmom Mar 22nd, 2015 06:49 PM

Dreamon-thanks so much. I didn't think of going to Salerno to catch the train. Not a bad idea. I too was thinking it might be tight to leave Positano, see Pompeii and then get to Chiusi in business hours. Knowing someone thinks so too helps, so I will continue to look into Pompeii but on the way to Positano.I thought trenitalia.com would have the timetables for all Italy routes, so thanks again. I checked car rentals in Chiusi and it looks like I can't rent a car there on a Sunday anyway. I may have to drive from Rome that day.

3Xmom Mar 22nd, 2015 07:14 PM

Bobthenavigator-Thank you! I was wondering about that after doing a few searches. That obviously has big implications for my trip. I'm not sure what to do now but I have a few ideas. Much appreciated.

3Xmom Mar 22nd, 2015 07:37 PM

Tuscanlifeedit-thank you as well! I was thinking of getting a car in Rome on the way up to Pienza, but I see now that renting one in Naples is a possibility too. I had heard and read about the difficulties getting to and from Positano so thanks for confirming that. On paper the distances from Positano to Pompeii to Pienza don't look too bad, but throw in all the congestion between Sorrento and Positano and 3 hours at Pompeii ruins and I think you hit the nail on the head. Now I will see Pompeii on the way to Positano.

kybourbon Mar 23rd, 2015 04:15 AM

If you don't visit Pompeii when you are leaving Positano, you could bus or ferry to Sorrento. Catch the Curreri Shuttle bus (10€) to the Naples airport and pick up a car.

http://www.curreriviaggi.it/eng/autolinee.html

strawberryjamtart Mar 23rd, 2015 05:48 AM

Years ago I went from Positano to Naples via train or bus (can't remember which, maybe a combination) and on the way, stopped in Pompeii for the afternoon. So it is possible.
Left Positano in the morning, walked around ruins of Pompeii during the day and got to Naples by evening by bus. That was 2003, so hopefully there is better transport now.
Hope this helps.

3Xmom Mar 23rd, 2015 11:03 AM

Kybourbon-I'll look into that Curreri shuttle bus and Ferry routes more. Thank you!

3Xmom Mar 23rd, 2015 11:11 AM

Strawberryjamtart-Cute name! I was wanting to get to Chiusi that same evening, rent a car and drive another hour to Pienza. I now realize it would be a stretch-too much distance to cover if I see Pompeii, as Dreamon suggested. I have now decided to do what you did and stay in Naples for the evening. I'll pick up a rental car in Naples and drive up to Pienza the next day. Thanks!