Rome to Positano to Capri - October - public transport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 3 adults traveling from Rome to Positano on Saturday, October 16th. I have read many threads about how to make the trip using trains, ferries and buses. We would like to take a train to Naples or Sorrento and then take a ferry to Positano. The trouble is that we don't speak much Italian and the websites for the ferries are in Italian. As far as we can tell, the Metro del Mare ferries stop running (for the season) on Friday, October 8th. Can someone familiar with Italian and/or the Amalfi Coast ferry schedules confirm this or give us some planning tips? I can't find the schedules for Cooperativa Sant' Andrea, but I understand they run ferries from Sorrento and Salerno to Positano (I found the website, but not the timetables). The reasons for wanting to take the ferry is for the scenery/views and to make the trip quicker.

We are spending 2 weeks in Italy and our schedule is rather busy the whole time, so in some respects, we don't mind paying more to eliminate some of the transportation hassles. If the ferries are not available we will probably take the train all the way to Salerno and then hire a driver from Salerno. Do we have to book the driver in advance, or can we "just find one" at the train station once we arrive in Salerno? It seems like low season starts near mid-October and we are trying to find out how limited our transport choices will be.

Will we be able to get a ferry to Capri? Should we book in advance or wait until the day so we know what the weather conditions are?

After 5 nights in Positano we are flying from Naples to Venice. We have a 9am flight so we are just planning on hiring a driver directly from our hotel to the Naples airport. Any comments about that plan?
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 11:14 AM

After 5 nights in Positano we are flying from Naples to Venice. We have a 9am flight so we are just planning on hiring a driver directly from our hotel to the Naples airport. Any comments about that plan?>

I think that is the only sensible way to get to Naples airport for your 9am flight, which means you should arrive at 7am or so - never know when traffic snarls will pop up and then security and all.

The CircumVesuviana train is so so slow - over and hour and then that takes you only to Napoli Centrale and boats probably don't run then or at least that early.

Ferries to Capri leave several times daily from Sorrento so if not from Postitano (i don't know about that) just hop the really dramatic Amalfi Coast buses to nearby Sorrento. I've never seen any need to book ferries in advance unless you have a car you want to take - always just show up and think no real discounts in advance as fares are cheap anyway. Catamarans are much faster than car ferries IME
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
GAC

ROME TO POSITANO ON OCTOBER 16:

1. Roma Termini to Salerno on ES or IC train (150 or 180 minutes; 37 or 23.50 Euros);

www.ferroviedellostato.it

2. Cooperativa Sant'Andrea ferry boat from Salerno Molo Concordia to Positano (70 minutes; 10 Euros)

www.coopsantandrea.it Boats from Salerno to Positano at:

8.40 - 9.40 - 10.40 - 11.40 - 14.10 - 15.30

POSITANO TO CAPRI:

www.alicost.com

http://www.lauroweb.com/orariotariff...licost2010.pdf

Departures at 8:50, 9:30, 10:00. Fare: 14.50 Euros each way

DON'T book in advance!!!

POSITANO TO NAPLES AIRPORT FOR 9 AM FLIGHT: hire a private car/driver.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 03:50 PM

Keep it simple.
Train to Naples and hire a driver door to door to Positano for about 100E. Why mess with dirty trains and ferries>

Here is a sneak preview:

http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4481
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 04:08 PM

I agree with BTN suggestion re: hiring a driver. When we went many years ago we happened to fly into Naples and had the hotel arrange a driver to pick us up and bring us to Sorrento.

While based in Sorrento, we obtained recommendations for drivers as we wanted to tour the Amalfi coast, and prebooked this as well.

I personnally prefer having these logistical items prebooked and settled.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 05:40 PM
GAC

Not sure I understand: the "dirty" train from Rome to Salerno is the very same "dirty" train from Rome to Naples!! The AV train is not going to be appreciably "cleaner" than the ES train. Perhaps the IC train (going to both cities) will not be as "clean" as the other two trains. Then again, it might be comparable in cleanliness. You never know.

I have taken the Cooperativa Sant'Andrea ferry boat from Salerno-Molo Concordia (400 yards from the Salerno train station or 6 minutes on foot, all flat terrain) and it was not "dirty".

Of course a private driver from Naples will be faster and more comfortable! For two passengers, the surcharge over the public transportation option (via Salerno) will be approx. 74 Euros. If you take the AV train from Rome to Naples (instead of the ES or the IC), the surcharge will be approx. 94 Euros
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much to everyone, just the type of information I was looking for! A couple more specific questions before I discuss our options with my DS and DN.

Anyone: Is it possible to stay on Capri later than the last ferry departure (18:00) and then arrange our own transportation? My major concerns are whether or not private boats would operate after dark and the safety of such a trip. We cannot stay on Capri overnight, our hotel is already booked is Positano.

PalenQ: we would love to catamaran to Capri (esp if we could do it directly from Positano). Any suggestions on who to use? We might be interested in hiring a boat to take us around Capri as well, suggested companies to contact?

GAC: I don't know how I missed the timetable info on the Coop Sant'Andrea site before - I see it now. Site says "servizio attivo da Aprile a Ottobre" - does that mean through October or up to October? Say we decide to train to Salerno and then ferry if the boats are running, but would rather train to Naples and hire a driver if they're not. How can we check that boats are running on that particular day (need to know by 08:00ish)? We will have internet access.

BTN: Beautiful photos-I can't wait. How long is the trip by car from NAP to Positano?
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 05:59 AM

Smallfrye - I am booking this thread because I am going next Sept/October. Could you let me know how the weather is when you go? I would really like to be able to swim.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 08:04 AM
GAC

Smallfrye: two thoughts for you:

1. I would make appropriate plans to return to Positano from Capri on the last boat out (hoping that it won't be cancelled due to sudden bad weather). I would not even bother trying to find a private boat operator willing to take you back at a confiscatory charge! I don't consider this to be a feasible or recommendable option.

2. The schedules of the Cooperativa Sant'Andrea boats from Salerno-Concordia Dock to Positano in October are subject to a couple of variables, primarily the weather conditions and the number of paying passengers. The service might continue through the end of October, or it might be curtailed sooner that month. The only way to know for certain would be to CALL them on the morning or your departure. You might also look at their website a few days before departing for Italy, in case they report any schedule changes. If you were to arrive in Salerno only to discover that the boats are not operating that day, your only options would be (i) the SITA bus from the Salerno train to Amalfi (75 minutes), connecting to another SITA bus from Amalfi to Positano (45 minutes); (ii) taking a taxi to Positano for around 100 Euros; or (iii) MAYBE the Alicost hydrofoil (if operating) from Salerno-Manredi dock (2 kilometers west of the Salerno train station) to Positano.

www.alicost.com
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 08:58 AM

We might be interested in hiring a boat to take us around Capri as well, suggested companies to contact?>

Last time i was in Capri, several years ago, when you dock at the main ferry/catamaran harbour there was a gaggle of men with boats begging to be hired to take tourists around Capri - specifically to the Blue Grotto (which may or may not be accessible according to high or low tides so check on that if that is your goal. You can reach the grotto by bus as well.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 09:51 AM

The dirty train was Circumversuviana---I trust you agree.
And, they are 3 people---the train and ferries will add up.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
GAC

OK bob, understand your clarification.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 10:23 AM

I am only commenting on the train to Salerno part of your plan. A friend and I decided to go from Rome to Ravello via the train to Salerno rather than Naples (where we would have to then get the Circumversuviana). The Salerno station was a surprise. No lift or escalator, just many stairs to lug our suitcases over. We couldn't even find a worker and pay to have the bags carried. The station doesn't seem to be meant for tourists. We hired a driver from the station to take us to Ravello. Was quite expensive. At the end of our trip we hired a driver to take us from Sorrento to Naples instead of taking the Circumversuviana train. That was a good idea, as Bob the Navigator has said. The CVS train is a small "local" train and is difficult to travel on with luggage. My point: Best entry into the area is via a driver from Naples, unless you want to spend a lot of time and angst in getting there.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. All of your information is certainly helpful. GAC, point taken on returning from Capri and thanks for the additional info on boats from Salerno.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 01:49 PM

Pam - do you think 24 minutes is enough to get from the Salerno train station to the ferry dock with our luggage up the stairs?
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 03:47 PM
GAC

PamR: your comments are noted and well taken. I too have noticed, sadly, the lack of elevators at the Salerno station. By contrast, the Napoli Centrale station has undergone a massive upgrade lately and now reportedly has functional escalators to and from the Circumvesuviana tracks.

As for the Circumvesuviana train, you're also correct: it's not meant to transport large luggage, since it's designed for commuters and not long-distance travellers. While the railcars are, thankfully, slowly being upgraded to much newer versions, there is still no dedicated space for large suitcases.

The private car/driver option is clearly the fastest and most comfortable way to travel, although at a steep cost (at least for some). On the other hand, it is the price to pay for that special comfort and convenience. Obviously, any traveller who is physically challenged (even moderately) should particularly consider a private transfer.

Jill: it took me less than 10 minutes to walk from the Salerno station to the Concordia Dock for the Cooperativa Sant'Andrea ferry boats to Amalfi/Positano. The terrain is all flat. The distance is approx. 400-500 meters. Even if you add a few minutes to negotiate the stairs inside the station (from the arriving train track to the main vestibule to the front doors), you should still have no problem within 24 minutes (unless, of course, the train arrives late!!!). Do be aware that it's not uncommon for trains to arrive late (even a few minutes late). If you think you might miss the boat, it might be better to have a "backup" plan to take the handy SITA bus from outside the station. I'd print out all relevant schedules and bring them with you.