Reload this Page >

ROME TO POSITANO - BEST WAY?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 03:37 AM
A Ross

My husband and I are travelling to Rome and then to Positano in September. So far our only known options are to take the train from Rome to Naples and taxi to Positano OR rent a car one way from Rome to Sorrento and taxi from Sorrento to Positano. Any advice or ideas on better/cheaper ways would be appreciated greatly.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 04:29 AM
Santa Chiara

You can also take the train to Salerno and a ferry or bus to Positano. Your hotel should be able to fax or send via email the schedules. Or you can take a taxi for about $50. So there you have it: car, ferry, taxi, bus. I don't know any other options (camel, donkey, hang gliding, rollerblading?). I don't recommend walking. <BR> <BR>Have fun. If you haven't been there before, it is magnificant.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 09:45 AM
rob

Hi A - <BR> <BR>One of the worst things about the Amalfi Coast, or maybe one of the best, is that it is not that easy to get to. There are plenty of alternatives, none of which is perfect. <BR> <BR>Here's what I would do, although routes offered by previous posters work just fine. Take the train from Rome to Naples, and then transfer to the Circumvesuviana line to Sorrento. From Sorrento, take a bus or cab from the train station to Positano. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip - the area is well worth the extra effort it takes to get there.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 08:13 PM
deepa

Hi, We were at the Amalfi coast about 2 years ago. We took the train from Rome to Salerno. Then a bus to Positano. The bus, which we did not realise, actually stopped in Amalfi, and then we had to take another one (or maybe the same, I don't remember)an hour or so later to Positano. This was good for us, since the bus stop is right outside the old town in Amalfi and one hour was just about the right amount of time to walk around Amalfi and do a bit of ceramic and lemoncello shopping!Have fun.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 05:47 AM
topper

!

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 10:00 AM
adeleh

We just came back from Italy.We rented a car from florence to Positano and then returned it at Rome.We loved the fact that we had a car and was able to see a lot of places.If you want to only drive to sorrnto, I know that there are ferries to Positano from Sorrento.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 01:50 AM
a ross

Thanks for the information. Can anyone provide a website address/telephone number for the Circumvesuviana line? thank you again!

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 06:22 AM
topper

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 07:03 AM
susana

Mrs.A. Ross: try this addres, I hope it will work: http://www.massalubrense.it/circum.htm Have a good trip. <BR> Susana

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 04:59 PM
robin

\/ <BR>A very good website that presents the options of traveling to the Amalfi region / Positano is: <BR> <BR>http://www.ondaverde.it/arrivarei.htm <BR> <BR>Actually it's the website of 'Onda Verde' a hotel located in Praiano, a small village midway between Positano & Amalfi. If you scroll down to the directions on 'how to reach them' BY TRAIN, you can then click on a link that provides more info on the Circumvesuviana. <BR> <BR>I've travelled twice to Positano; both times via public transport - EuroStar train from Rome to Naples, then the Circumvesuviana line to Sorrento & finally, SITA bus to Positano. <BR>The first leg of the journey is great - lots of trains to Naples, however strongly suggest you opt for the add'l speed/comfort of the EuroStar. HOWEVER, do be aware that the Circumvesuviana train is a local train - makes lots of stops and is more like a subway train. When you get to Sorrento, you can take a SITA bus into Positano. SITA buses are more comfortable than a city bus, somewhat like a Greyhound bus. Economically speaking this is probably your cheapest mode of transport. <BR> - EuroStar from Rome to Naples (approx $35 USD?) <BR> - Circumvesuviana from Naples to Sorrento, about $3 <BR> - SITA bus from Sorrento to Positano, about $2 <BR> <BR>Depending upon how much time in between connections, the entire trip should take around 4 hours.