Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome to Pompeii (Naples, Herculaneum, Sorrento) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-to-pompeii-naples-herculaneum-sorrento-77169/)

Walter Jun 24th, 2000 06:53 AM

Rome to Pompeii (Naples, Herculaneum, Sorrento)

I've added more info on this past daytrip I posted before but it's too long to post in one post Fodors website won't post it. <BR>1st I would print-out the Rome-Naples train schedule before I leave, go to www.fs-on-line.com/ use Roma & Napoli in the search (Delete the "Time" in the "Hours" & "Mins" window and leave Blank, this way it will give you the full day's schedule from 0600). There is also a *large* wooden board on the wall at the right side exit *between* the ticket windows and trains (Via G. Giolatti side) at Termini (Rome's train station) listing the train schedules. I would purchase my tickets before my departure date. (BE SURE TO VALIDATE YOUR TICKETS, *before* you board the train on your departure day in *any* of the little yellow boxes at the head of the platforms). Walk in the front doors of Termini, there are ~30 ticket windows, you'll probably want to take an ES (Eurostar) or an IC (Intercity) train. These trains are fast and non-stop and take ~1:45+hr. The ticket sellers I have spoken to in Italian major cities have all spoken english. But I write-out what I want just in case: The date of the trip (European style) day/month/yr, destination (Roma-Napoli), time (0612) & train #, 1st or 2nd class, non or smoking, and reservation for seat assignments (yes or no) a good thing to have in peak season or travel days. I've always used a Visa card. To find your Bin # (track #) check that board I mentioned earlier and when leaving that day **also check the TV monitors for destination/bin/time of your train on the _departure day_ it case of any changes**. If you have a reservation in the middle/bottom of your ticket in will have Cl. 1 or 2 (1st/2nd class) on the train cars in will have a large 1 or 2 on the side. Next to the Cl. will be a drawing of a train car with a number, you will find your car # (Carrozza #) on the door and also inside over the entrance to the car. And next to the train drawing will be your seat #. Also in the middle of the reservation will be the date, time, and train # (next to the train drawing). <BR> Tickets cost one-way to Naples: IC train is 48,500L(1st) & 29,400L(2nd) an optional "Seat Reservation" is 5,800L more. ES train with mandatory "Seat Reservation" is 62,500L(1st) & 39,500L(2nd). Slower trains are cheaper but take longer (multiple stops & no seat reservations available). At Napoli *Centrale* train station you switch to the Cs train (all this is also signposted and is ~150m with 60 stairs-2 long flights & 2-3steps) in front of track 13 near the front doors is a wide staircase going down to the Cs (Circumvesuviana) which is a commuter train to Herculaneum, Pompeii, and Sorrento (in that order). At the bottom of the stairs bear left, you come upon a hallway with the Cs ticket windows on the left (Metro ticket windows on the right). R/T ticket to Pompeii is 6200L. At the end of this short hall to the right is a wide hall (moving walkways) and the end of this hall are the Cs turnstiles, on the wall in front of you 2 boards will post the next 2 arriving trains, you want the *Sorrento* train (don't worry if it's not listed yet). There are 4 tracks, you'll want Bin 3. Half-way down the platform is another Departure Board and it will list that train's destination & time. The train's destination for you will be "Sorrento", this train runs every half-hour. *This* train stops at Ercolano (Herculaneum) (18min) and Pompeii in ~35/40min and Sorrento in ~1hr. The stop you want is "Pompeii Scavi-Villa dei Misteri", you walk under the tracks (w.c) into the small station, outside the station turn right and walk 50m (I would buy water/snack or a guidebook if you need to along here) to the ticket windows 12,000L (w.c. and giftshop). There are "Licensed" guides (Gov't ID's worn I believe) outside the gate that charge ~$35/$40US hour per *tour* *not* per person, same price as for 1 person or for a small group. <BR>

Walter Jun 24th, 2000 06:59 AM

Part 2:At the Pompeii (ruins) entrance's ticket *collecting* booth (not the ticket sales window) there is a "Luggage Storage" room on the right. After you enter the site you come across the Forum, look to the left at the far end, that is the Temple of Jupiter *behind* the temple is a building with a restaurant, snack bar, giftshop, and w.c. If you wish to visit the Villa dei Misteri in the NW corner of Pompeii, do so at the end of your visit (you *cannot* re-enter the site afterwards). You must exit here (restaurant & private w.c.-1000L) and walk back (600m) to the same Cs station. ...............To visit Herculaneum (Ercolano) exit the platform (Ercolano Cs station-half way between Naples and Pompeii only 1 way out) and the *only* street (45deg to your right), takes you *right* to the entrance after a 6 min. downhill walk towards the Bay of Naples. Impossible to get lost or miss. Also right outside the CS station are taxi minivans that will take you to atop Mt. Vesuvius, the drivers will probably be "pitching" to you as you walk by so act disinterested and ask how much. ...............To visit the Naples Museo Archeologico Nazionale: Across from the Cs ticket windows (at the Naples train station) buy a metro day pass or 2 tickets, to the left of the booth is the turnstile and directly in front of that is Track 4, go down to track 4 hop on the train and get off at the 1st stop (Piazza Cavour). When you exit the metro turn right on the *busy* street in front and walk (uphill) ~150m, you'll see a large 3 story building with pinkish bricks on the same side of the street, thats the museum (12,000L). Also outside this metro stop (P. Cavour) is the bus stop for the 110 bus to Palazzo Reale di Capodimonte............... Train Ticket Purchase Options: If you want to avoid the hassle of buying your tickets at Rome's Termini (or any train station in Italy) for a small commission fee you can buy train tickets *with* seat reservations at Travel Agencies (agents speak English). With ~250 agencies in Rome that sell tickets they'll be easy to find:). For there names/addresses go to www.fs-on-line.com/ homepage and click-on "Agencies" (example) click-on map area "Lazio", click-on map "Rome", click-on (word) "Roma". Also the American Express Office in Rome sells tickets. At the bottom of the "Spanish Steps" (looking *at* the Steps), turn right and walk 50M and the AmEx office is on the left. For ticket prices: when in the train schedules on fs-on-line website click-on the train's number (1, 2, 3...10) or the "Blue Arrow" on the leftside of the screen for that train. It will list *total* ES fares & IC fares without seat reservations (just add 5,800L). For the slower trains just click-on the "Price" box and enter info. <BR>

Charette Jun 24th, 2000 07:58 AM

Thank you so much Walter -- incredibly helpful! <BR> <BR>Question re:Naples station -- are stairs down to Sorrento trains non-escalator? In other words, how painful is the shift from ES to locals if you have heavy bags?

Walter Jun 24th, 2000 09:24 AM

Charette: Good News/Bad News:). The 1st set of stairs has an escalator, but I've never seen it working on 2 trips to Naples (98,99:(. The 1st set is a short flight like in a house, the 2nd set to the platform is longer like an office bldg flight and narrower. Also alot of luggage will be a hassle on the CS train if it's crowded. The CS is a commuter train and the cars are like a metro/subway car but it does have an small overhead shelve for luggage. If you are only spending a couple of days in Sorrento/Amalfi area and then coming back thru Naples you could always leave some luggage in the luggage storage area at the Naples train station (down the hall from the last track {24?}) and travel light. <BR> Also when waiting to board a train that's leaving Naples (like to Rome) there is a waiting room (seats, quite, safe/secure) for ticketed passengers *only* in front of maybe track 18? Another option is a car service from the station to ?. Someone here posted that they used it and it costs ~$100US from Naples-Positano (i'd think Sorrento would be alittle cheaper) it's www.starnet.it/car-service/ <BR>HTH Regards, Walter <BR>

topper Feb 15th, 2001 06:22 AM

to the top, for Brian

Tom Mar 4th, 2001 06:33 PM

Thanks Walter for this information. <BR>Unbelieveable! Had seen it before but for the life of me I just could not remember the title for the search. Tried everything in the world until Robin came in and immediateley found it! <BR> Sending to the top for anymore daytrippers. <BR> <BR> <BR>Thanks again <BR>

JB Mar 4th, 2001 07:02 PM

Thanks so much to Walter for the great information and to the others for topping this post!