Rome to Pisa to Florence

Aug 5th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Sylvia

Rome to Pisa to Florence

Instead of doing a day trip to Pisa from Florence, I am thinking about altering our train travel so that we go through Pisa, see the sites and head on our way to Florence. Has anyone done this? Does the Pisa rail station have big luggage lockers? We will need them!!
Thank You

Aug 5th, 2001, 05:06 PM
Jeff

Well, it's do-able, but what I'd describe as an "around your ass to get to your elbow" plan. Majority of trains from Rome to Pisa go THRU Florence == the EuroStar (ES) from Rome to Florence & then you change trains to get to Pisa.

That being said, there is one morning train, an InterCity (IC) that departs Rome at 10:07 am and is a direct route to Pisa (doesn't go thru Florence, no change of trains). Check train schedules at www.fs-on-line.com.

Can't recall luggage locker size at Pisa Centrale. Did it as a daytrip & wasn't carting any baggage with me and therefore didn't take note of facilities.

Aug 5th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Jeff

OR Sylvia, may I suggest an alternative plan. Take one of the early morning EuroStar trains from Rome to Florence. Only takes 1 hr. 35 minutes for trip. And since you have to get off & change trains anyhow (to get to Pisa), drop your luggage at the Florence train station. I know there's plenty room in Florence --- leave it with the 'Deposito Baglio'. Then you've unloaded your bags & can quickly jump on train departing for Pisa.

Aug 6th, 2001, 05:45 PM
Slyvia

Thank You for the info Jeff. We are doing 3 nights in Florence, so it sounds like we should stick with our original plan of doing a quick trip to Pisa one of our days. I was hoping to get Pisa on our way to Florence from Rome, so that we could do a day in Siena.

Aug 6th, 2001, 06:05 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Sylvia, Given a choice of a day trip to Lucca, Pisa, or Siena Pisa would be my 3rd choice. Do not miss Siena.