Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome to Orvieto Train: IC vs. R? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-to-orvieto-train-ic-vs-r-888482/)

twiggers Apr 27th, 2011 05:27 PM

Rome to Orvieto Train: IC vs. R?

Planning on a Thursday trip to Orvieto and spending a few hours & lunch and then heading back. Would like to figure out my train options in advance.

I'm on Trenitalia and see that there are IC trains and R trains. The IC trains are 14.50 and the R trains don't have a price. Is there a reason?

How do you know which R trains might be using the old IC cars (was reading on another post)?

It also seems like the trains are pretty infrequent....I wanted a 9 AM departure and it brought up departures starting at 10:30 AM.

Finally, some of the trains say "Depart Roma TE" and then in red underneath they say "RO TIB". What does that mean?

Thank you for all of your train help!!!

J62 Apr 27th, 2011 05:47 PM

RO TIB = Rome Tiburtina station
RO TE = Rome termini

Different stations.

IF you're looking for prices on R trains you need to look no more than 7 days from now. price = 7.10 euro

Change your search to 8am and you'll see the 8:43 departure.

For a 1hr 15min ride I don't think it really matters what rolling stock you are on.

bobthenavigator Apr 27th, 2011 06:04 PM

Exactly!

kybourbon Apr 27th, 2011 06:06 PM

>>>Finally, some of the trains say "Depart Roma TE" and then in red underneath they say "RO TIB". What does that mean?<<<

It means they make a stop at Rome's Tiburtina station. If you select a train, then select details by selection, then info, it will list the stops the train makes.

GAC Apr 27th, 2011 06:13 PM

Not that it matters for such a short trip, but the "nicer" refurbished "regionale" railcars taken from surplus IC railcar stock should be the "RV" trains between Roma Termini and Firenze SMN, all of which stop at Orvieto. They run at two-hour intervals. I was the person who wrote the long posting singing the praises of these "upscale" regionale trains.

twiggers Apr 28th, 2011 02:45 AM

Thank you SO much everyone!

GAC: Yes! It was your post that I was thinking about. How can I tell that that it is an "RV" train?

qwovadis Apr 28th, 2011 03:07 AM

No need to book this journey from abroad

Just did this last week the regional trains

were fine just paid 4.5 euros

bought/validated at station from the small machines about.

Had a nice compartment all to myself

Take the funicular up to Orvieto 1 euro

Very nice city I especially like the Etruscan History.

make more time if you can.

Grand Hotel Italia makes a nice overnite paid 110 euros

last week had a wonderful stay.

think they do no want folks abroad to know how cheap

the regional trains are so they do not list prices online.

Happy Travels,

GAC Apr 28th, 2011 04:43 AM

Because tickets for regionale trains can be purchased online only one week in advance, the prices are shown only for that period of time. Simply put in a date in the next seven days to get the price. The "RV" train can be identified by the icon on the Trenitalia website listing of trains from point A to point B. Do not buy the ticket (for the regionale train) online, buy it at the train station.

DRJ Apr 28th, 2011 05:49 AM

And for lunch, it must be I Sette Consoli in Orvieto Alto. Outside, under the tent. Memorable.

RonZ Apr 28th, 2011 07:27 AM

We had dinner at I Sette Consoli and were not at all impressed.

Much better lunch and then dinner at Ristorante Antico Bucchero.

And be sure to visit the gelateria at the left rear of the Duomo.

twiggers Apr 28th, 2011 03:06 PM

Thank you GAC!

And thank you all for the recommendations.

kwren May 10th, 2011 05:54 AM

I was about to ask a similar question and here is my answer - the advantage of searching before asking - thanks!