Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome to Greece on a Ferry (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-to-greece-on-a-ferry-1545052/)

JColbert Nov 13th, 2017 10:42 AM

Rome to Greece on a Ferry

Hello Travel Family

My family and I are planning a 9 day trip to Paris and Rome with 3 days in Rome. Is it possible to take a day trip to Greece from Rome on a ferry one of those days? Thanks in advance for your help

Sassafrass Nov 13th, 2017 10:49 AM

No.

Sassafrass Nov 13th, 2017 11:03 AM

No.
Look at a map. Look at the scale on the map to see the distances.
Look at the distance between Rome and the ferry ports to catch ferries to Greece. Would you drive, take a bus, fly? How long would that take?
Google a ferry timetable. How long does a ferry take from Italy to a port in Greece?
Get some good guide books and perhaps a geography book.
As a traveler, it is important to learn about countries' locations, one with another.
Where are you from?
What grade are you in?

You could perhaps fly RT from Rome or Naples to someplace in Greece for a few hours. It would be a very long, costly day with little sightseeing time, but possible.

neckervd Nov 14th, 2017 01:23 AM

3 days isn't enough for a somewhat decent visit of Rome. If you prefer to go to Greece, fly directly from Paris to Athens (3 days wouldn't be enough for Athens and Attica neither, however).

Rome - Athens by train and ferry:
Day 1: Rome dp 9.30 - Ancona 13.50/16.30 -
Day 2: Patras 15.00/16.00 - Athens ar 19.00
Day 3: enjoy Athens

Traveler_Nick Nov 14th, 2017 01:55 AM

I'm not suggesting it but in theory you could take a day trip by flying.

Glancing at the Ryanair CIA to Athens schedule there is a 6.30 flight to Athens. Comes back 8pm.

I wouldn't do it but it's the only hope

Heimdall Nov 14th, 2017 02:09 AM

Sassafrass wrote: <i>"What grade are you in?"</i>

Exactly! This is either a troll post or from a schoolchild who should be concentrating more on geography lessons.

Just in case the OP was asking a serious question, there are no ferries from Rome to anywhere in Greece, and if there were it would take a day's sailing just to get there. Flights from Rome to Athens take 2 hrs, with a one hour time change.

nochblad Nov 14th, 2017 03:54 AM

As OP says in his/her other posting (registered this month), this is a graduation trip.

Clearly the OP or his/her child did not graduate in geography.

Curious as to what it might have been.

Man_in_seat_61 Nov 14th, 2017 04:11 AM

Rome to Athens is easily doable in 2 days by train and ferry, see https://www.seat61.com/international...tm#Rome-Athens

But there and back in a day? Nope!

Heimdall Nov 14th, 2017 04:16 AM

<i>"Rome to Athens is easily doable in 2 days by train and ferry..."</i>

And that's just one way! Romantic as it sounds, I would take the 2 hr flight. :-)

Heimdall Nov 14th, 2017 04:40 AM

Actually I wouldn't take the 2 hr flight — I would stay in Rome, maybe looking at a day trip to somewhere nearby.

nochblad Nov 14th, 2017 05:47 AM

As I said earlier this is a graduation trip according to another posting by OP.

The question is so asinine that it must be a troll.

PalenQ Nov 14th, 2017 06:33 AM

The question is so asinine that it must be a troll.>

You sure of that? Some folks never been to Europe and who know little about geography may think possible. I think OP from other posting is not a troll - careful in making such possibly hurtful assumptions without any proof.

nochblad Nov 14th, 2017 06:46 AM

PalenQ - I appreciate your knowledge (sometimes) but the proof is in the OP's query.

This leads me to an observation. Does Fodors wish to be an American-centric site or does it wish to cater for tourists worldwide?

Unfortunately the evidence, at least in the Italian forum, points to the former.

StCirq Nov 14th, 2017 06:48 AM

<<I would stay in Rome, maybe looking at a day trip to somewhere nearby.>>

Or maybe looking at a map.

Sassafrass Nov 14th, 2017 08:53 AM

When I responded, I honestly thought it was a young person traveling with their family. Later I read the other post about shopping, so guess it is not.

At any rate, the first thing I do when looking to put a trip together is look at maps and travel connections. Anyone traveling anywhere should familiarize themselves somewhat with the geography of the planet.

Fra_Diavolo Nov 14th, 2017 09:19 AM

Ancient Romans took the route when needed, following the Appian Way to Brundisium and sailing from there to Greece. Probably took about 10 days to get to Brundisium. Not sure how long it would take to book passage and cross the sea, though.

bvlenci Nov 17th, 2017 04:54 AM

Fodor's doesn't care who uses their forum, as long as they look at the ads.

vjpblovesitaly Nov 17th, 2017 05:16 AM

Forget the map. Try a GLOBE!