Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome to Frankfurt in 8 days - what route is best?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. This is my first post. For our honeymoon, we will be spending a week in Europe after a week long cruise that departs from Barcelona and then the boat dumps us out in Rome. We fly out of Frankfurt one week later. We will be there from September 25 - Oct. 2. What do you all think would be the best and most interesting route to take? We'd like to spend at least two days each in three cities. We don't plan on spending much time in Frankfurt. I'd like to go through Switzerland if possible. Munich is a possibility as well since it will be Oktoberfest. But if you all have better ideas, let 'em fly!

Do you think three cities is too much? We plan to travel by train, unless flying is much, much cheaper. I'd like to see the countryside.
Thanks!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

hmmm...no responses in 13 days. was it something i said? is it because I'm new around here?
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 10:39 AM
MNP

hahaha, sorry laughing at your last post.

Anyways,I personally think there are so many different ways to get you up to Frankfurt that anything is possible.

I am assuming that you will have already done Rome when you start your 7 days ...is that correct? And I don't know if you are wanting to stop though any other of Italys towns on the way...

If you go through Switzerland I would suggest hitting several of the towns in the county and make your way to Germany though the Black Forest. Of course as you mentioned you could go through Munich as well and hit Octoberfest.

Really like I said, you can take so many ways to get to Frankfust. And I think it is doable to hit 3 places for 2 days each, Though you will be able to see so much more if you hit 2 places for three days.

I would suggest thinking of the three cities or areas you are wanting to stop in and learn a little about all of them and get an idea of how long you feel personally you want in each place. Everyone has a different idea of what a good amount of time in a place is.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your sense of humor and your excellent advice. We've narrowed our cities down to Florence and Munich with a possible day trip to another city somewhere. We'll use the train as a way to at least see the countyside, even though we can't get to know it. But, when you are limited to 8 days, it just has to be that way. That's a good idea to get to know the cities beforehand. I'm so excited! thanks again!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 01:52 PM

I think you made excellent decisions. Rome is also worth several days if you didn't already include it in your itinerary.

If you are going to be in Munich for Octoberfest, it will be wise to book your hotel as soon as possible because the hotels get booked up very quickly.

By the way, you may not have had any responses because you posted later in the evening and the message was never brought back to the top until you replied. I only post during the days (while at "work&quot and it may be that way for others as well. Next time you post and don't get responses, post with a "ttt" (to the top) to bring it back. This usually generates more replies.

Sounds like you are going to have a great trip!

Tracy
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 07:27 AM
MNP

You picked some good places. You will enjoy it. I also agree to start looking for a place in Munich early. Its very busy there at that time. It will not be difficult to find a day trip either.

And congrats on upcoming wedding!
(Im assuming its upcoming as your planning your honeymoon )
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your helpful replies. We ended up deciding against Munich because it will be so busy and we live in the country and don't enjoy overly crowded areas. We've decided to do either Venice or a city in Switzerland. Any ideas about Swiss cities that are worth the time? I have heard that Zurich just has shopping. But, it will be terrific just being over there *anywhere*.
Thanks again!