Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome to Assisi for a day a pain in the butt?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 03:44 PM
Char

I rarely see in guidebooks or this site recommendations to go to Assisi from Rome for the day. I know by train it is 2 hours but am I missing some obvious reason why not many of you mention it as a day trip destination? <BR>Does going in March make a difference? <BR>Are any of you aware of an organized tour there in March? <BR>Thanks to all!!

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 03:52 PM
fred

2 hrs is perhaps conservative by train. the station is fairly far from the area you want to see. add times and you will spend most of the day traveling to see assisi for a short period of time. the churches alone can consume 2to3 hrs. there are many shops on the main street especially those selling lace but be careful many of those prodducts are not italian hand or otherwise made. the town derserves a full day to explore properly

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 02:00 AM
Steve James

Hello Char, <BR> <BR>I've done Assisi as a day-trip from Rome several times, - no problem. I'd thoroughly recommend it. Assisi is a gem, - not to be missed! Make an early start to make it worthwhile. <BR> <BR>There are two routes by train. I've always gone via Follonica, - you have to change trains there. For connections, check:- <BR> <BR>www.fs-on-line.com <BR> <BR>From Assisi station the old town is about a 20 minute bus ride, - there is a connecting bus outside the station. <BR>IMPORTANT - when you get off the train don't hang around, - go straight out to the bus or you'll miss it and have a long wait. The driver will send you into the station cafe to buy your tickets, - but the main thing is to speak to him first so he knows to wait. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 06:11 AM
Paulo

Steve is obviously referring to Foligno ... <BR> <BR>If you wake up early, Char, you may take the 7:12am train out from Termini, change in Foligno, and arrive in Assisi at 9:03am. Unfortunately, the next train out from Rome is only at 9:12am, direct to Assisi, where it arrives at 11:21am. <BR> <BR>In the afternoon you'd have two direct train options for your return trip. Departing at 4:06/6:29pm and arriving at 6:17/8:22pm. <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 06:46 AM
Steve

Yes Char, - definitely Foligno, - my mistake! Thanks Paolo, - remind me to look at a map next time before I post!! <BR>

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Carol

I took a daylong bus tour to Assisi which included lunch--I found it a comfortable, pleasant way to see this remarkable, not-to-be-missed place. I think all the tour bus companies offer this tour. If I'm not mistaken, Carrani is one of the major companies--and I think they have a website.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Char

Thank you to all of you for your input! <BR>You guys are terrific and are I'm sure, responsible for soo many of us having wonderful Italian experiences! <BR>Special thanks to Paulo for being there for everyone!! <BR>