Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome to Amalfi (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-to-amalfi-470874/)

Mr_G Aug 30th, 2004 04:40 AM

Rome to Amalfi

Trying to get from FCO to Amalfi later this week. Options include a private driver but this seems very expensive. Was going to take train from FCO to Rome Termini and then from there to Salerno, then taxi to Amalfi, only problem is my wife is concerned about getting luggage on and off trains. Another option is to rent a car at FCO, but then nearest drop is Salerno, so we still need to take taxi from Salerno to Amalfi. I understand there is a ferry from Salerno to Amalfi, but the last one leaves at 4:45, cutting it close if the train is late. Any ideas? Any idea on cost of taxi from Salerno to Amalfi ?
Thanks!

dickv2 Aug 30th, 2004 05:39 AM

Good mornng, Mr. G.
The Sita bus system runs from Salerno thru the Amalfi Coast to Salerno, we
www.uniplan.it/sita/orari.html and see
if this would help you out, if not would consider hiring a limo in Salerno to complete your journey...
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

GAC Aug 30th, 2004 06:21 AM

There should be a ferry from Salerno to Amalfi at 14:10, 15:30 and 17:15. It takes 30 mins. and costs 4.00 Euros. It's a five minute walk from the Salerno train station, and it's totally flat, so no problem dragging luggage on wheels.

The SITA buses leave from directly outside the Salerno train station (buy ticket at the newsstand inside) at 12:00, 12:45, 13:30, 14:10, 14:30, 15:30, 16:30, 17:00, 17:30, 18:30, 19:30, 20:30, 21:30 and 22:30, so it won't be a problem reaching Amalfi. Travel time is 70 mins. and fare is under 2.00 Euros. You can place luggage in the compartment beneath the main floor, so you don't have to lift it up the stairs of the bus.

A taxi to Amalfi would be VERY expensive, probably about 70-80 Euros.

Surfergirl Aug 30th, 2004 06:48 AM

The last ferry closest to the train station (the two block route) leaves at 3:30 p.m., NOT 5 p.m. The last ferry from the other point (and I'd highly suggest taking a taxi to the ferry dock further away) may leave later than 3:30.

Mr. G -- getting luggage on and off trains is not problematic, and very easy to drag (the wheeled ones) from train to ferry for the closer ferry. You might instead catch the train from Rome at 11:45 and arrives in Salerno at 2:16 p.m., giving you plenty of time to catch the ferry. The ferry costs 6 euro, and each bag costs about 1,50.

Someone else on this board took a cab from Salerno and said it cost around 80 euro. The bus, which is right outside the train station will also take you and will cost substantially less.

SeaUrchin Aug 30th, 2004 07:23 AM

Hi Mr G, why not drive down to Salerno but keep going and drop your luggage off at your hotel. You can either park the car there overnight if it is late when you arrive or take the beautiful drive back to Salerno and drop off the car, then take the bus back to the hotel. The AC is not to be rushed, I see people writing that they "see" one of the coastal cities in a day but the idea is to linger and just soak in the atmosphere. Don't worry about seeing the same sights as you go back and forth to Salerno, just think of the sights you will be seeing!

GAC Aug 30th, 2004 07:34 AM

Surfergirl: I don't know where you got your info, but my source, which is very reliable and updated to August 1, 2004 (www.salernocity.com) shows a ferry from Salerno/Concordia to Amalfi leaving at 17:15, with a fare of 4.00 Euros. The 6.00 Euro fare which you quote would be to go to Positano.

At some point during September, the 17:15 ferry will likely drop off, but Mr. G. is leaving "later this week", so it should still be operating.

In any case, Mr. G. may find it more convenient simply to take the SITA bus from outside of the Salerno train station (unless he is apt to becoming car sick). Services are more frequent, cost less, and require less walking.

I do agree with your suggestion to take the 11:45 train from Rome Termini direct to Salerno. This is the "Archimede" restyled Intercity (IC) train (no smoking anywhere), which goes to Sicily. Because it originates in Rome, it should be easy to find empty seats even without a seat reservation. The train stops once only in Naples, and is just as fast as a Eurostar Italia (ES) but costs less.

If Mr. G takes this train, he should be able to catch the SITA bus departing at 14:30 (this bus operates Monday through Saturday). He'll be in Amalfi at 15:45.

Surfergirl Aug 30th, 2004 01:04 PM

My "source" was my own eyes on June 30th. Maybe they added a later one for August during the ferragosto, you might be right. Just make sure it's still going in September (Weds.). Right again on the price. The 6 euro I quoted was to Positano. Sorry. The 4 euro is the cost to Amalfi.