Rome to Amalfi

Mar 24th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Rome to Amalfi

Hi we are flying into Rome and heading to Amalfi my husband wants to "drive through the country" on the way. We've driven Italy before. We plan on leaving car in Naples then training back to Rome for return flight. Question what/where to stop for 2 nights on the way with college aged girls. Thank you.
Mar 24th, 2018, 11:56 AM

Just a note on train tickets - book up to 90 days in advance or so at Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia or www.italotreno.it/en forf nice discounts over full fare - www.seat61.com has loads on doing that yourselves - general train info - BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

I can't think of a good two-night stop short of Naples though Caserta is a neat palace few seem to go to. But if you want to drive to Salerno you could base in that pleasant seaside town and hit Paestum and its fab Greek temples in a bucolic setting.

I'd reconsider car too if just staying on Amalfi where cars are useless due to mobbed roads - take ferries around. Could train to Salerno and take ferries to Amalfi, Positano, etc.
Mar 27th, 2018, 05:31 PM

We made a similar trip with our two teenage daughters. We arrived in Rome and took the Leonardo Express to Rome's Central Termini and from there took a train to Napoli (Naples).

I then arranged for a car service to take us to a hotel in Sorrento. We used Sorrento as our base. We stayed at the Grand Hotel Capodimonte. It had great views and was an easy walk to the town.

From Sorrento we spent one day exploring Capri another day checking out Pompeii and our third day, going to the Amalfi coast via Positano. We used a car service for this as well.

Amalfi was packed so we ended up going up to Ravello.

So we had three full days in Sorrento and the nearby areas before heading back to Naples then up to Venice and back down to Florence and finally Rome, before heading back to ORD.

We did not rent a car. It is hard to take in the views of the coast if you're focusing on the narrow roads and plunging cliffs. The car services were reasonable and I never had to worry about parking.
Mar 27th, 2018, 07:05 PM

Were you planning to do this drive immediately after landing at Rome? If so, how long is your flight and how far did you hope to get before the first overnight stop?

Along the way:

Garden of Ninfa (VERY limited visiting days/hours but worth it if your dates work) and/or nearby medieval (and charming) Sermoneta [This might be a good first stop, about 90-100 minutes from FCO.]

Abbey of Montecassino and nearby Roman ruins

Royal palace at Caserta

Pompeii

FWIW, I assume this trip is in high season. If so, I wouldn't drive the Amalfi Coast road no matter what your husband's dream of this experience might be. The reality is usually a very slow crawl, bumper to bumper, often nose to tail with large buses. I would drive the mountain road between the A30 and Amalfi. You'd pass by Ravello if the town is on your list. I'd return the car in Salerno rather than drive back to Naples.
Mar 27th, 2018, 07:16 PM

Yes, please do not drive anywhere if you are getting off a night flight. Driving with jet lag is as dangerous as driving drunk.

There are direct trains taking as little as two hours from Rome to Salerno if you want to avoid Naples on the way south.
Apr 2nd, 2018, 08:16 PM

Was the car from Naples to Sorrento expensive? How far in advance do you have to book the car and what company did you use?
Apr 3rd, 2018, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by jillrun View Post
Hi we are flying into Rome and heading to Amalfi my husband wants to "drive through the country" on the way. We've driven Italy before. We plan on leaving car in Naples then training back to Rome for return flight. Question what/where to stop for 2 nights on the way with college aged girls. Thank you.
Take a train from Rome to Salerno and rent a car in Salerno who is 30 minutes from Amalfi
Apr 3rd, 2018, 09:32 AM

Their desire is to drive to Amalfi taking two days. Want to drive.

Search this Thread