Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome stay - Flaminio P. del Popolo or P. del Colosseo?

Old Jun 17th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which area below is more convenient for an apartment rental and would have more places to eat / grocery shopping?

Are the areas safe? We have 2 young children and don't want to stay in the more dodgy part of town.

- Via Annia near Piazza del Colosseo

OR

- Via Flaminia near Piazza del Popolo

Trying to decide which apartment to stay at.

How come Piazza Navona is not close to any metro station? Would you get off at Spagna or Colosseo in order to walk to Piazza Navona? How long does this take?

Thanks,
QQ
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 09:04 AM

How many times are you going to post the same / similar questions?

The Piazza Navona came first. I guess they didn't want to put a subway stop there. I'd sue the Roman subway department, if I were you.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 09:08 AM

Rome is built up over thousands of years and putting a subway through town is not easy given all the antiquities they find so you just need to get used to buses, trams or walking in the most central areas.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 12:17 PM

Hi Bill,

Based on your other post this trip is 6 adults and 2 very young children (2 & 3?)?

So I assume it's mom & dad with 2 children in tow.

I just it's safe to assume this might limit your sight-seeing hours so short days out and about?

How about taxi to 'A' visit it and surrounding sites and taxi back to your apartment.
Of course the other 2 adults would also need a taxi.

I'm fairly certain there is a taxi stand a short walk from Via Annia on the east side of the Piazza d. Colosseo?
Calling one costs a bit more but still an option.

6 adults with 2 children esp on the buses could be a big hassle at times (esp getting your herd on n' off ). Just a thought.

Via Annia Neighborhood.

I walked thru there and that street many years ago going from San Clemente Church (close-by definitely visit it for the underground ruins) to another site.
I only remember as a quiet area with not much traffic and no tourists.

Looking at my map it is basically a 4x4 block island.

Now I know that this hotel is on the next block in that island.
So I pulled it up on tripadvisor.com and that hotel has 1200 comments which I knew very many would talk about the location, restaurants, etc.

I only scrolled thru the first 30 and came away with this; Definitely quiet, safe (day or night), *alot* of restaurants serving majority of locals (so not tourist rip-offs), away from the tourist hordes, etc.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ome_Lazio.html (ALSO THIS URL)
http://tinyurl.com/khf3wds

The location advantage is walking distance to the Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill so there is at least 1 day with no transportation issues.
And it seems to be in a non-tourist residental Roman neighborhood.

I've never ventured up the Via Flaminia from the Piazza and it's likely most tourists haven't either.

You might try venere.com for hotel locations in the area of that apartment and do the same thing I did with the Capo d. Africa hotel on tripadvisor.com (actually just google it hotel XYZ rome tripadvisor).

Also I'm glad that the Piazza Navona has no metro stop, back then they didn't go deep and just dug-thru the underground ruins now lost forever.

The new metro lines are well below any human habition levels, the only problem they have now is getting thru the ruins from the streetlevel to the metro line with the minimal amount of historical damage.

Good Luck And Have A Wonderful Trip!
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Would you get off at Spagna or Colosseo in order to walk to Piazza Navona? How long does this take?

Don't forget that there are buses (though not ideal with strollers), and Rome is very walkable. We stayed at an apartment near Piazza Navona and it probably took us 20-30 minutes to walk to the Colosseum or to the Spanish Steps. That's two adults, so depending on how mobile and self-sufficient your children are, it might take you longer.