Notices

Rome stay- best part of town?

Jan 30th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Rome stay- best part of town?

We are planning a trip to Rome this summer. What is the "best" part of town to stay? We would like to rent an apt with a kitchen and balcony so we can eat breakfast there,andbe able to sip wine on the balcony at night. Would love it to be near subway, or close to some big tourist sites. Also, near markets to pick up food. Finally we don't want to be kept up by noise all night. Can you give me advice?
Jan 30th, 2012, 08:29 PM

Rome subway is very limited. Only two lines. Most people consider the Piazza Navona area central (walking distance to sites). Do a search for apartments in Rome and you will get lots of threads although you might find your balcony requirement limiting.
Jan 30th, 2012, 09:08 PM

The Spanish Steps is a great place to stay in. There are lots of shops from the big designers to popular chain stores and restaurants to choose from. There are also great places to visit during the night.
You could also refer to the following links:
http://www.cheaperthanhotels.co.uk/Italy… and http://www.hotelsitaliano.com/Italy/Rome
Jan 30th, 2012, 09:24 PM

Look for a roof terrace, not a balcony.

Don't stay in the piazza Navona area if you don't want to be kept up at nights by noise, or too close to the Campo de'Fiori. If you can find an apartment with a roof terrace near the piazza Farnese or the Teatro Marcello that might work extremely well for you. I've never stayed here, but this is what I mean. If you like this, you should try to track down reviews about the agency:

http://www.homesinrome.com/apartment...o_marcello.htm

Rather than count on using the Metro, read the section of your guidebook that explains Rome's bus system, and invest 3 euros in a good bus map of Rome. They sell such maps in Rome. The buses really do go everywhere, they are fun to use.
Jan 30th, 2012, 09:33 PM

I meant to say you should also look for air conditioning in summer (which that place I liked to doesn't appear to have).

But if you do searches for "Rome vacation rental terrace sleeps 2 air conditioning", you will probably come up with lots of choices in all price ranges, and if you see something you like, you can re-post here and ask questions about whether it is a quiet neighorhood, markets nearby, etc.
Jan 30th, 2012, 09:34 PM

PS: I was referring to doing Google searches, not searches on Fodor's.
Jan 30th, 2012, 09:44 PM

This place is in a very quiet street, close to a market, has air-con. But I don't know anything about the agency or the apartment otherwise

http://www.feelhomeinrome.com/EN/Rom..._0-Description
Jan 30th, 2012, 09:56 PM

The best and most central to attraction places would be Spanish Steps, Travi Fountain, Pantheon, Paizza Navona . You can try out Lodjee Rome Departments (http://www.lodjee.com/rome) for booking any apartment at any of the above mentioned location. I'm sure you would definitely get some good apartment at the central locations and staying at these locations would also let you enjoy the major attraction without much efforts.
Jan 31st, 2012, 04:20 AM

http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/inte...e-rome.en.html

Best area for me $180 last May bidding priceline.com
italyby.com sleepinitaly.com for apts not too much cheaper usually do check on location AC and elevator ALWAYS pay with CC never wire money and NEVER rent from individual tax cheats and scammers that tout in clever disguises on the boards
Jan 31st, 2012, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I have been reading that Trastavere is the best place, but didn't sound too close to everything. On the other hand Piazza Navone sounded like it was full of interesting markets and Trattorias. We don't want to shop in any of the Popular chain stores, we are hoping to avoid "all thing American" / no Chain restaurants either!
Zeppole, I have read your devise on other posts, you do seem to know Rome! Njohn- I have read mixed reviews on the Spanish steps area.
Oh and forgot to mention that this is near end of sept..no need for ac I am guessing?
Was going to search vrbo...I hope there are no scammers on there!
Will be there be a lot of noise in the Piazza Navone area even in Sept? I thought tourist season would die down.
Hoping to go from here to San Gimignano area for 4 days. Can we take the train there?
C
Jan 31st, 2012, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Property ID: #960

Sant’Onofrio terrace apartment: Up to 2+2 people
This Rome terrace apartment is the most unique and exclusive of the Romeloft network and will offer you an unforgettable Roman stay. This apartment features a breathtaking view of Rome with an amazing panorama. All you want will be to stay at your roman home. This apartment is perfect for a honeymoon, or for a [...]

From 145 € per day
Apartment location:
Trastevere, Rome
Internet Terrace
Recommended
More >PhotosMap
What do you think of this one? Great views.... Found on romelofts.com.....
Jan 31st, 2012, 08:18 PM

We were in Rome twice two years ago.

First time, 1 night in Termini area, didn't like it, good restaurants though.

We stayed closed to Piazza Navona in apartment Sora our first 3 nights, loved it there.

The little apartment had the room inside so noise wasn't an issue and had a great A/C. We loved being 4 blocks from the Piazza and close to the Pantheon, being surrounded by restaurants and supermarkets, very convenient. Piazza Navona at night becomes alive, with people dancing, singing just feet from each other with different audiences, is like being in another world.

For our last 3 days we stayed in Campo di Fiori in apartment Roso, we loved it, but I liked Sora better.

We took buses everywhere, usually coming back tired after a day of walking. By train we passed Trastevere area and I didn't envision us staying there if we wanted to be central and being able to walk everywhere without being slaves of public transportation. Trevi and Spanish Steps area is so busy during the day that you can't barely walk, not much different at night.

If I had to rent again, I would Piazza Navona area, being away from it by a couple of blocks makes a difference and if the room is inside of apt, no noise issues IMO.

www.sleepinitaly.com
Jan 31st, 2012, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

I would love an area that comes alive at night, esp as we hope to head to Tuscany after that... We will get lots of quiet there I think I am leaning to this area. Having a challenge with the roof top terrace mentioned earlier,
Jan 31st, 2012, 10:43 PM

You do realize that you have conflicting requirements of lively but no noise, right? Staying on a higher floor might help.

I am always leery of making recommendations since we've only been once but we did like the Piazza Navona area.

http://ukfrey.blogspot.com/2011/10/rome.html
Feb 1st, 2012, 01:45 AM

SItuation in Rome is that when the weather is nice, huge numbers of young people congregate outside the bars and cafes in certain streets near the piazza Navona (around della Pace, Fico), and immediately around the Campo de'Fiori, and some streets in Trastevere, I don't know which ones. Noise travels up, so if you have your windows open, you might have a tough time sleeping. If your apartment faces a courtyard, much quieter. If you have air conditioning, and/or double-glazed windows, that helps. All of Rome comes alive at night, so don't pick for that unless you positively want to be in a party area. Reading lots of user reviews helps.

If you stay in Trastevere, it helps to learn to use the buses and trams. It is not hard.
Feb 1st, 2012, 04:19 AM

We went last year to Rome for 5 days and stayed in:

Bed & Breakfast Rosmini

Via Antonio Rosmini 12, Stazione Termini, 00184 Rome

It's a very good B&B.
http://www.bbrosmini.it/eng/

It's 300m from termini station. So you can easily take the metro...

Around the B&B you have a lot of restaurants, bars, ...

The location to start visiting everything is also very good.

We did almost everything on food except when we went to the vatican...
Feb 1st, 2012, 05:10 AM

Cheryl,

Look at a map of central Rome. Put simply, any place in the wide swath WEST (left) of Via del Corso/Via del Teatro Marcelo all the way west to the river would be a good area to stay. Anywhere in this large patch will put you in a nice area and within a close walk to tourists sites.

An apartment in this zone (the "Centro Storico") will probably cost you 10%-20% more than a similar apartment not in the center. It is money very well spent and quite worth it.

Rome is unlike any other major city in that the subway skirts around the best and most central areas. It is NOT like all other European capitals where the subway takes you to the central areas.

This is a very well regarded vacation rental agency for Rome:
https://www.sleepinitaly.com/en/show-module/index.php
In the drop down box for NEIGHBORHOOD look at: "Campo dei Fiori", "Navona-Pantheon", and "Pantheon".

Come back with specific listings and folks here can give you advice on the locations on a block-by-block basis.
Feb 1st, 2012, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

indy_dad...yes- I realize we have some conflicting ideas! I think of noise more of the cars honking and police sirens... I think people aren't so bad. Is this a super high traffic area? Will traffic noises keep me up? We are going at end of Sept so perhaps the windows will be closed. I am looking at apts more on the higher floors. I really like what zeppole said about getting a terrace..seems the best to get a view.
Bardo- your advice is welcome. I think the Campo dei Fiori looks great- I found an amazing terrace apt there...it states it is 50 meters from Piazza Navona and the view is amazing!
I am assuming there are wonderful markets there to get fresh produce and trattorias nearby...

Search this Thread