Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Rome Side Trip in November 2000 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/rome-side-trip-in-november-2000-a-90534/)

John Oct 18th, 2000 06:48 PM

Rome Side Trip in November 2000

During a 1-week first visit trip to Rome in November 2000, what 1-day side trip outside of Rome by train or by pre-arranged tour would you recommend to "experience" Italy outside of Rome?

howard Oct 18th, 2000 07:10 PM

Pompeii would be my recommendation. It would make for a long day, but well worth the trip!

Steph Oct 19th, 2000 04:06 AM

Why not try Florence, <BR> <BR>Its three hours by train so if you set off early you can get in some shopping, site-seeing, lunch and back home in the evening. <BR>Much closer to Rome - one hour by coach - is the beatutiful Villa D'este with its gardens of a thousand of fountains. <BR> <BR>You could take the train to Naples - 2 hours - then fast jet ferry to Capri. If the weathers good that would be my recommendation. <BR>

howard Oct 19th, 2000 04:28 AM

While Steph's recommendations are good ones in warmer weather, two of them probably won't work in November. I don't think Villa D'Este has "it" that time of the year, and it's questionable whether the boats will be running to Capri. They weren't last November when we were there.

Paulo Oct 19th, 2000 06:03 AM

My personal choice (I may get clobbered here :-) would be Naples ... period. 6 days in Rome on a first time visit translates to a lot of sightseeing. I wouldn't therefore go to Naples for much more of it. I would stroll through Spaccanapoli, the city centre and Port of Sta Lucia, watch people carrying their day to day life businesses, find a couple of neat restaurants for lunch and dinner and return in the late evening. Naples is a very lively and REAL city (with problems, no doubt, but also humor) and there shouldn't be many visitors at the time. <BR> <BR>Now, if you don't feel confortable going to another big/noisy/lively city, you may ellect to visit something quieter such as: train to Orvieto (1:15hr), 3/4 hour visit with lunch, train to Chiusi (30 minutes), visit, and train back to Rome (1+ hours on IC train). From Orvieto one could eventually take a bus to Viterbo instead and a train back to Rome (quite longer train journey). <BR> <BR>Finally, organized bus tours to Orvieto/Assisi may still be on on specific days of the week (saturdays?). <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Ed Oct 19th, 2000 06:06 AM

Florence would be my first suggestion. <BR> <BR>Pompeii is another good choice, though between the length of trip and the nature of the sights I'd recommend it only for those who are &gt;quite&lt; seriously interested in the remains of antiquity. <BR> <BR>Even if you, like me, are interested in Roman ruins, on a short visit to Rome you might want to spend a half day out at Ostia Antica (if the weather is not too chilly or damp/rainy.) It will give you a much better idea of what a Roman city looked like than Rome itself, and it's only 30 minutes away. <BR> <BR>Ed <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com <BR>